User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
Grits&Gravy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
F800GS How did you wire up your GPS?

I just purchased a new F800 and before I pull battery cover off of bike I wanted to know.... How did you wire up your GPS? Straight to the battery or is there a connection for accessory power in the wiring harness other than the power port next to the key switch?
Grits&Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
If you want to use the white GPS plug sitting on top of the battery, but you'll need to buy the mating plug which costs about $25, and this outlet is switched with key and stays on for 1 minute after you shut the key off.

A cheaper alternative is to use posi-taps to tap into the GPS wire and terminating in SAE connectors and you put the same on the wire coming from the GPS and call it done.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Grits&Gravy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
If you want to use the white GPS plug sitting on top of the battery, but you'll need to buy the mating plug which costs about $25, and this outlet is switched with key and stays on for 1 minute after you shut the key off.

A cheaper alternative is to use posi-taps to tap into the GPS wire and terminating in SAE connectors and you put the same on the wire coming from the GPS and call it done.
I read the manual, but didn't see anything referring to a plug that is built into the wiring harness. I guess I will pull the cover off one night this week and look under there to see what I have.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
Wicket009
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post

Congratulations on the new 800 Grneggz! I ran my LED lights to the plug Gadget Boy is referring to. Fairly easy setup. For the GPS, I put in the Touratech Instrument Cover:

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...GS-F650GS-Twin

Ran Instrument cover directly to the battery. This accomplished several things: Cut back the glare from the headlight through the panel at night. Extra outlets (BMW and Standard 12V). Did not shut the GPS every time I stopped the motor. And bypassed the Canbus, so I charge directly into the BMW port with the trickle charger.
Wicket009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
Grits&Gravy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have a Zumo 220 and just found out that I can't use the white Canbus plug to power it. Looks like it has to be hard wired to the battery. I was looking at this on Touratech's site. I would really prefer to use the plug if there is a way to do so.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
KnuckC
F8er

Oddometer: 199
I run a switched Centech AP1 tapped into the licence plate light and, among other things, wire the GPS into the Centech.
KnuckC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,714
I ran mine strait to the battery terminals with an in-line fuse, easy. Just don't forget to leave it on overnight!

One other thing I discovered is since I have multiple things going to the battery terminals I had to crank down on the screw pretty hard to get a good connection. Before I did that the bike would do reset noises and the speedo and tach would twitch... bad connection. Getting some dielectric grease for the terminals would be good too.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
crossplane
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
This is exactly how I have my zumo 660 wired up. No issues at all, it's been working a treat. I haven't had any problems with the power not shutting down either, and the bike has not had issues cranking over and starting up, even after leaving the GPS connected for extended periods.
crossplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #9
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,460
Laugh USB power socket with a USB hub....

the hub stays in the tank bag... cables run to it....
I use 2 GPSs a 60scx and a Nuvi with 3d road view. Those cig plugs are shit!

For 12vdc "Auto off" power I have a solid state relay energized by the accessories power socket.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

usb

sweet!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post

For 12vdc "Auto off" power I have a solid state relay energized by the accessories power socket.
Roughly what do those solid-state relays cost?
JRWooden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #12
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Laugh

$20
here ya go....
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?SKU=70133848

1 MA max leakage in off state.
just for the record...this picture shows an AC unit model "No workie " (i replaced with the DC model)

BTW... the factory GPS plug can be seen here...just to the left of the relay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Roughly what do those solid-state relays cost?

HighTechCoonass screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 02:44 PM
HighTechCoonass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:32 AM   #13
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,647
I put a waterproof switch on the dashboard.......connecting the gps with the BMW plug. What you need to be aware of is that with most gps`s....even through they are switched off.... There is an idle current running through the power circuit....that could slowly drain the battery. So just be aware of this if you connect it straight to the battery. If you connect it to the bmw plug....the canbus will power it down after a few minutes..... But there have been some reports of the canbus not doing so....and with the result of a dead battery. Mine turns off after a few minutes.....which switches the unit to battery power.....and at the end of the day I just switch it off with the installed waterproof switch. Had no issues.....

Erling

ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #14
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
I put a waterproof switch on the dashboard.......connecting the gps with the BMW plug. What you need to be aware of is that with most gps`s....even through they are switched off.... There is an idle current running through the power circuit....that could slowly drain the battery. So just be aware of this if you connect it straight to the battery. If you connect it to the bmw plug....the canbus will power it down after a few minutes..... But there have been some reports of the canbus not doing so....and with the result of a dead battery. Mine turns off after a few minutes.....which switches the unit to battery power.....and at the end of the day I just switch it off with the installed waterproof switch. Had no issues.....

Erling

I like your setup. Can you tell me the p/n and the vendor for your switches.I have been looking for some weather proof switches.

Just a little heads up to all. Make sure you make your connections weather proof. Raychem makes what we refer to as environment splices. I am sure a quick internet search will reveal several vendors.

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #15
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I like your setup. Can you tell me the p/n and the vendor for your switches.I have been looking for some weather proof switches.

Just a little heads up to all. Make sure you make your connections weather proof. Raychem makes what we refer to as environment splices. I am sure a quick internet search will reveal several vendors.
Yeppers...... All has been soldered....and crimp fluxed...... And it has been proven itself in torrential downpours.....
I bought`em here...:

http://shop.vetcosurplus.com/catalog...oducts_id=8805

http://shop.vetcosurplus.com/catalog...oducts_id=8806

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote