User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
Lunatik OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Children as Pillion? WORTH THE RISKS?

Just had a difference of opinions with parents about taking our child on the bike. They feel it is a completely insane thing to do.
Wife is a new rider, I am 30 year+ experienced, IBA rider. Child would be with me on bike, not wifey.

Thoughts would be well appreciated here.... We cannot be the first to experience this backlash from the "grand-parents"
IBA #39165
Ride like a Knob, and you'll die
2013 BMW HP4 COMPETITION #2757
2014 BMW R1200GS ADVENTURE
2014 BMW S1000R

Lunatik screwed with this post 03-17-2011 at 06:55 PM
Lunatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
GOSTAZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Your kids, on your bike? There is a short answer, but it probably ain't politically expedient... sooo...

Don't know if this is helpful, but I give the kids in my neighborhood rides. Short little hops. Usuallly up to the school and back. We might go 20 mph tops. I usually start out thinking it will be one kid, one trip, turns into 6 kids, two trips apiece. I have my own little munchkin fan club. There was one Mom, and there was no way in the bad place she was letting her little spawn on that big scary bike. I am not one to push, but this kid WANTED a ride. I offered Mom a ride, with the idea that maybe she feared what she did not understand. Had to offer it three times, but she finally accepted. I really felt bad for her son, but to his credit, he was patient and cool. Took Mom for a little spin, and she came back smiling. Little dude got his ride. And he is usually at the front of the line now, with Mom's blessing. Story has a happy ending.

I call this little public service "Spreading the Sickness". I have met too many adults that are terrified of bikes. I have a half-dozen pre-teen kids in the neighborhood that are not gonna grow up terrified. Makes me happy. I have loved motorcycles as long as I can remember, because I got introduced to them by patient, cool people. When I have the chance to intro someone to motorcycles? Low key, slow little ride first.... then, when they feel comfortable? They will let you know.

Grandparents can be a delicate situation, but I think you have to find a way to make them "put up or shut up". Take them for a ride or at least offer it. If they are not willing to experience or evaluate your rig and your riding? Then they kinda have no credibility.

Hope it works out. Sharing a ride with a kid? Kind of a neat bond, providing the kid enjoys him'/her self. Good Luck!
Old 03-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,578
If you do a search for kids/pillion/children/passenger type tags you'll get a lot of hits on this subject.

Naturally this is a biased place but most of us agree no kids on the bike until their feet can reach the passenger foot pegs and fully gear up the little tykes.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,532
If they can sit still for the length of the ride, you are good to go.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
atk_nut
and atk_nut_wife

Oddometer: 564
We've ridden with our kids for years now.Some approve,some do not.I let my kids be driven to school on the school bus.I've never met the driver and there are no seat belts
I don't like them riding their bicyles on the road because of other drivers.They understand because of what they have seen on our trips.
Auto Com and gear is all I can say.
PM me if you have more questions

http://members.shaw.ca/fourup
http://vimeo.com/jollyrogerranch
atk_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,057
I didn't take my girl pillion untill she was 12 i think. My other daughter is 9 now and i wouldnt take her with me yet. Then again i am bit of a worry wart, when it come's to my kids. I think when they're under 10, it's bit early, you wont know what they get up too,while sitting in the back, if something happen's you'd never forgive yourself.
Aussijussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
I used to ride my kids around the neighborhood and out on the trail, and sometimes people would freak out; "My God that's so DANGEROUS!".

These same folks would let their kids ride a bicycle on the streets, or play tackle football, or let 13 year old girls hang out with friends in a mega-mall, or give them a fast car for their 16th birthday.

I taught Middle School for 8 years, so I know from personal experience that my kids were a lot safer on the back of my motorcycle with me, than if they would be out on their own or with a bunch of other kids.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
rspennac
Super n00b

Oddometer: 283
My kids are 8 and 11. I take them for rides as often as they want to. The 11 year old doesn't like the big roads so we just ride where we can keep it under 20 ish.

My 8 year old like to go out on the "real" roads. He hasn't been on the freeway yet. There is no need for that. Both of them touch the foot pegs fine but my concern is if we go on a long easy ride oneof them might get a little sleepy. I make sure that we talk alot so I can keep track of this.

The kind of crap I did on a BMX bike when I was 8-11... and then I got a mini bike... I'm glad they like to go for rides.
rspennac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
ride everything
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog View Post
If you do a search for kids/pillion/children/passenger type tags you'll get a lot of hits on this subject.

Naturally this is a biased place but most of us agree no kids on the bike until their feet can reach the passenger foot pegs and fully gear up the little tykes.
Agree, and up to this point, I've taken my kids (7 and 6) on quite a few rides. It was my dad's wing, which has since been sold, so now I'm back in the market. I'm thinking about getting another 1150GS, but I can't recall if they'd be able to reach the pegs. Anyone know of a good bike that has a shorter reach to the pegs for pillions of this size?
ride everything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride everything View Post
Agree, and up to this point, I've taken my kids (7 and 6) on quite a few rides. It was my dad's wing, which has since been sold, so now I'm back in the market. I'm thinking about getting another 1150GS, but I can't recall if they'd be able to reach the pegs. Anyone know of a good bike that has a shorter reach to the pegs for pillions of this size?
Pegs are easy to modify. Buy the bike you want and make it work.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #11
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
My daughter (now seven) and I have spent alot of great days putting through forest service roads. I think we started doing that when she was four. I had an XR650R, and I would let her sit between my legs and hold the bars. We would just idle along; every once in a while I would gun it a little and she would giggle away, always saying "Go fast, Daddy! Go fast!".

Being a dad is awesome.
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #12
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
i was on the back of my dads bike from 11year old. and now at 24 i have started to take my girl freind on the back on my bike and i am learning with every ride about carrying pillions and she is learning what to do.

if they are in gear and now what to do it should be fine. just go short runs and then go out longer ones and if you need to fit a head set.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #13
SteelRain
Beer Cooled

Oddometer: 301
I am an IBA rider also, but don't think that has anything to do with a skill level (sorry, I believe that most of the style if riding is the easy part of riding)

That said, my dad put me on the back of his bike when I was 3, and I have been addicted ever since, I got my first bike the next year for "christmas" (in May) and never looked back. In Kentucky there were no helmet laws then, and there might as well not be today.

If your child is old enough to maintain the focus needed to ride as a passenger, want to ride with you, and you have the funds to buy the VERY BEST in protective gear than by all means go for it. There is risk in everything, growing up we saw/knew a few kids who didn't grow up, the two I remember the most were a fall from a tree and playing HS baseball (line drive to the head). My future wife and I have decided to I will get to buy a Hack so that we can take the kid with us once he/she is old enough (we are thinking about 4 years old) then maybe around 6 or so throw them on the back if they want.

Racingwise, I have seen kids crash hard at junior level races and the parents never thought twice about the paramedics slicing off $5k in gear (no joke the EMT asked the dad if they should cut it off or slide it off to save money ) I also was at the track when a 12 year old died in a minor lowside.

I cannot stress this enough the following:
1) Gear, get the best and ATGATT, kids don't always know what they are getting into. It is your responsibility to mitigate the risk. My fiance didn't when I invited her to ride with me for the first time, but we went to some shops and found gear she liked that was at or near the best available.

2) Focus. My girl did a 2up ride with me on the track also, she loved it and learned alot about being a passenger and how much her movements effect the bike. Kids will not know this instinctively, you really should ensure your child has the focus and start with SHORT trips to the store, McDonald's, etc and work your way up.

3) The dangerous riding (at least IMHO) is traffic; the stop and go stuff in town, make sure you (30+ years you should) and your passenger know what to do. I would suggest a helmet to helmet communication system and if possible get one for your wife also and have her ride behind. You can communicate to your child and she can let you know if junior is loosing focus and may need a short break.

I don't have any kids, but I have been thinking about this stuff for a while now and look forward to the responses of others also.
SteelRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:10 AM   #14
Mistress of the dual
Some say....

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelRain View Post
My future wife and I have decided to I will get to buy a Hack so that we can take the kid with us once he/she is old enough (we are thinking about 4 years old) then maybe around 6 or so throw them on the back if they want.
Do not believe this guy for a minute. All future children of SteelRain will know how to operate a motorcycle before they can walk. It will be in their blood.

When it comes to kids someone will always criticize how you parent them. It would be a shame to not let your kid ride and have them miss out on some serious family bonding time.

2002 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2009 BMW F650GS
RR:The Quest for Apple Pie
RR:Pacific Coast Rambling
Mistress of the dual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:49 AM   #15
sthoerner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Be Careful, but I'll vote yes

My son rode his first bike (a PW50) at 4 years old. He's messed with bikes since he could walk. You have to be careful and wear gear, but everything has some risk.
Here's my son in 1983:
Photobucket
Here he is with his son last week!
Photobucket
It appears their having fun & I wouldn't want to take that away....

It works when you get old too. Here's my wife's grandma with me in 1983:
Grandma

Have fun!
Steve in KY
sthoerner is offline   Reply With Quote