User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,305
learning how to work with composites

Learned a lot about making composite parts from reading all of ebrabaek's tutorials. Thanks again for sharing all this with us.
And I found another good thread about making a carbon fiber tank on the bay area riders forum. I don't know him, but I guess his name is Chris Baker and I found all the stuff he posted to be very helpful too. This thread -> How to make carbon fiber parts links to some of his youtube videos.

notmybikemodelname's super light F650-R project thread contains some good info too. tmotten got inspired and started working on his own bike. Looks like he's doing a great job.

more:
Composites 101: Composites, Fiberglass, etc.
More fun with carbon/kevlar
Flexible fiber glass?
working with carbon fiber?
fiberglass fabricating ?'s
XR 650 R Rally Fairing for acerbis sahara tank
DR650 rally fairing
KLR headlight / fairing project
Repairing ABS fairings and Parts etc
Fabricating custom fairings
Any Carbon/Kevlar Skinning experience in the group?
wbbikeworld.com: How to Make Carbon Fiber Parts

If you guys have any other good links (projects, sources for materials, etc.), feel free to post them and I'll add them to this list.

And lets see some more projects. Would love to see what other people are working on.

jesusgatos screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 10:04 AM
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,992
Make sure you have proper ventilation and the correct respirators. A lot of the chemicals used in the layup process is nasty nasty stuff.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Got a long list of composite dirtbike parts that I'd like to make, but have been busy working on other projects. My youngest brother Robo-Boogie was home for spring-break last week though, so we spent a couple days working together a few small projects. He's got a bit more experience working with this stuff; started when he got into riding jetskis and now he's going to school up at Chico, working on a manufacturing technology degree. So it was really helpful to have him around.

First thing we did was drive up to Svendsen's Marine Supply to buy some materials. Got some lightweight, medium weight and heavy mat, along with resin and some expanding foam.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

We decided to start with a new shock guard for my XR650R. Robo-Boogie made a really nice carbon/kevlar one for his CRF250X a while ago. It's held up really well and looked like a pretty easy part to reproduce, so it was an obvious choice for my first project.

The shock guard that I took off my bike is on the left and the new stock replacement shock guard that I purchased is on the right. Back tire just shredded it, so had to keep trimming it shorter.. and shorter.. and shorter.

Here's a pic of the carbon/kevlar shock guard that Robo-Boogie made for his bike, and you can see the ratty old shock guard on my 650 in the background.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Applied some mold-release compound, laid down a thin coat of resin, and then the first layer of fiberglass (the lightweight stuff).

We only applied two layers of thin mat, and then taped-up a vacuum-bag. We didn't have a proper vacuum pump on-hand, and we weren't sure our shop-vac would create enough vacuum to get the mat to conform to some of the more irregular surfaces (like the area around the mounting bosses), so we decided to pack it in sand.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

This is what it looked like when we pulled it out of the sandbox.

But instead of releasing the shock guard from the mold, we laid-up another layer of fiberglass. The heavy matt didn't conform to the compound curves very well, so I ended up cutting in into smaller strips.

Let that dry and then pulled the shock guard. Made a pretty good mold, and we only lost a little bit of detail around the edges in a few spots.

So this morning I taped the shock guard back into the mold and poured some more resin to fill those spots where there were some small gaps. Not sure how well that's going to work...

Old 03-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,322
I have a vacuum pump at work and I've done some basic fiberglass work before. I really should get into this as well.

Good for you, getting it done!
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

The other project we started working on is a KTM headlight mask. Wanted to make something that we can cut to fit another, better headlight. So the first thing to do was make a mold of the headlight mask and headlight. Tried taping over the headlight, then filling the gaps with bondo, but that just made a mess. There was no way to maintain the contours of the stock headlight because I couldn't tell how thick the bondo was anywhere until I sanded all the way through it.

So I chipped off the bondo, pulled the tape, and filled the gaps with silicone caulking. After that dried, I applied some mold-release compound.

Laying-up the first layer of fiberglass was pretty challenging, mostly because of the mounting boss for the brake cable guide. I'm planning on modifying that mounting boss to make it easier to make, but wanted to start with an accurate reproduction of the stock headlight mask.

This morning I laid-up some lightweight mat in the mold and then backed that with some heavier mat. This first mold is a throwaway part, so left it pretty thin (fiberglass + resin = $$$). But was concerned about it turning out wonky parts, so laid it in the sandbox. Seemed to support the mold pretty well and I didn't have any sand fall into the mold, but it probably would have been a good idea to cover the sand with saran wrap or a garbage bag or something.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #9
technoracer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
We didn't have a proper vacuum pump on-hand, and we weren't sure our shop-vac would create enough vacuum to get the mat to conform to some of the more irregular surfaces (like the area around the mounting bosses), so we decided to pack it in sand.

this is a GREAT idea! thanks for teaching me something this morning!
-tech...
technoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #10
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Wow, nice work there!
I am planning on doing some composite work myself soon (rallye bashplate and fairing). Looks like I can find plenty of handy advice here then.

I'll post some pics of the bashplate mould I've made so far so you can tell me what you think of it...

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is online now   Reply With Quote