ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #1
theblahmonster OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 29
Cool2 Riding a KLR across the US and back this summer...

I'm planning on leaving Warner Robins, GA in early May, heading to the west coast, and, once I've found it, turning around and coming back. I don't have a route planned yet, and I figured that determining where I wanted to go and what I wanted to see should probably be the first step in route planning, so I'm making a list based on people's suggestions. My internet travels have shown me that the US is absolutely filled with both beautiful scenery (Grand Canyon, etc) and quirky eccentricities (Carhenge, Salvation Mountain), and those are the kinds of things I'm looking for. Big and small, large and tall, I want to know about anything that you find interesting or beautiful so I can put it on my list!

Without further adieu, I present to you the Big List of Shit to See(TM). This is what I have so far:

Grand Canyon
Yellowstone
Grand Tetons National Park
Fly Geyser, Nevada
Barringer Crater, east of Flagstaff, AZ
Salton Sea/Slab City/Salvation Mountain – Calpatria, CA
Lake Chasm, OR
Painted Hills – Mitchell, OR
Palouse Falls, OR
Cloud's Rest, Yosimite, CA
Niagra Falls, Canada
Route 66
Carhenge - Alliance, NE
Largest, heaviest ball of sisal twine - Cawker City, KS
Outhouse museum - Gregory, SD
Grand Circle (Brice Canyon, Red Rocks) - UT
Canyons of the Escalante - UT
Highway 1 ride - CA
Rhyolite Ghost Town - NV
Area 51
Death Valley National Park
Deals Gap, NC
Redwood National Park
Badlands National Park
Glenwood Springs, Garden of the Gods, Flatiron, Gunnison, Steamboat - CO
John Day River/Deschutes River, Painted Hills - OR

Just wondering if anyone has anything to add...

I'll also be camping the entire way (or as much as possible), so if you have a piece of land for me to plop my tent down on and/or a shower for me to wash up in, either would be greatly appreciated!
theblahmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
LngRidr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Colbert, GA
Oddometer: 175
Crater Lake (and wizard island)
__________________
Jon Kohler
Colbert, GA
1980 Harley-Davidson FXEF
IBA# 24562
LngRidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer
 
Trailryder42's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Amarillo, Texas
Oddometer: 1,058
Devils Tower.
__________________
'00 XR440
'04 KLR650
'09 Wee Strom
COHVCO
USA-ALL
BRC
Trailryder42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
FAW3
Old wanderer
 
FAW3's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: No.VA.
Oddometer: 504
The key to a trip like this is IMO having both TIME and FLEXIBILITY. As you ride, take the time to check neat areas out, ask and learn what is off the beaten track...cause your on a KLR after all! Example: a point of interest mentioned is Niagria Falls, Canada...been there, done that, loved it...but I found out that just north is an area called the North Bruce/Tobermory area...and the trip up there and touring around was great...rural Canada and a fantastic area to explore (including Sauble Beach). When I hit Yellowstone I loved it...but it was crowded...you go outside the park a few miles off the regular RV route and your in the open wild west...much better, no crowds!

Weather can be a big factor...with a smart phone you can monitor weather patterns and plan accordingly. One one trip out west we were right behind a killer heat wave and knowing it was moving east ahead of us we slowed down to stay behind it and choose routes in higher elevations so we had cooler temps...we had 80F and 200 miles east they had 100+F...same idea for big rain weather patterns...be aware and be flexible.

I have a KLR...great tool for everything you might come across BUT interstate slabbing all day long...try to plan route on state highways and skip the interstate drone. Get a 16T front sprocket and a quiet but cool helmet.

Once out west you can easily find good space to stealth camp...and with a smile most folks will not run you off from private land...all free.

We will be waiting for a nice trip report and lots of photos!!!
__________________

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer
 
rufusswan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Branson MO
Oddometer: 962
There is tons off cool things to see or quirky places to visit. Some of the man made stuff is cool like Royal Gorge and Hoover Damn. Have fun.
__________________
1971 BMW R75/5 Toaster LWB
1974 Honda CL200
http://zenhuckfinn.wordpress.com/
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
Worroll
Studly Adventurer
 
Worroll's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Southern CT
Oddometer: 760
I did niagra falls on a bike, it really wasn't fun, got stuck in a traffic on the Canada side for an hour at 90+ degrees.
Roy Canyon, New Mexico is a pretty neat little known place to check out, someone actually told me about it while I was on my trip last summer riding near there.
Make sure that KLR is in top shape, and steering bearings are tight, winds out in the midwest can get real sketchy on a klr with sloppy bearings. People have mixed opinion about them on the interstate, I personally sat all day on mine on the interstate without complaints. Get ventilated riding pants tho, huge difference in day after day comfort vs blue jeans.
Get a KOA membership.
Check your insurance policy real good, alot of them have provisions for break-downs and crashes to cover extra hotel rooms on trips and stuff. I didn't even realize mine had it, could have saved me a few bucks.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer
 
bk brkr baker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: The Bluegrass
Oddometer: 5,382
I don't see Washington state on your list but if when you're in Ore. and have the time to go little more north, enjoy.

I 've been through the John Day area and it's nice enough ,but just west of Hood River there is a strerch of the old road along the Columbia that has several waterfalls , Multnohma is the largest . West of Portland to the ocean you'll ride through the forest that you'll see on Ax-Men. I first saw the beach in Oregon at Cannon's Beach then turned north toward Astoria. The fort Lewis and Clark built to witer over on their big trip [reproduction] is just south of Astoria.
On the coast of Wa. is La Push . I camped there and went to the beach in the morning while the fog was still on. Magic.
Then up in the fartherest west and north is Cape Flattery. You'll be glad you went. Edge of the continent.

I've got more ,if you want.
__________________
RR's Catnip Hill to Peoria ___Loopin' Seattle to WestFest
It started with some beers __1500 miles to the Dentist
Skeedaddle to Seattle______ A 30 year old on a Three Flags Run
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
sjeproductions
Gnarly Adventurer
 
sjeproductions's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Boulder, CO
Oddometer: 272
Havasu Falls, AZ.
sjeproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
squonker
Eat my shorts
 
squonker's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Bee Cee
Oddometer: 3,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAW3 View Post
The key to a trip like this is IMO having both TIME and FLEXIBILITY.
This is true. Sure, have a list of places you want to go/things you want to see, but don't get into the state of mind where you MUST see this and/or that. Hit as many of the things on your list as you can, you'll always find other places you hadn't anticipated that you'll want to spend time at too, and the ones you don't get to see....well, what better excuse for a second trip?!

Have fun. With the right attitude, you will. And remember lots of us will be living vicariously through you, so an RR would be much appreciated!

Good luck!
__________________


Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
scudrunner
Gnarly Adventurer
 
scudrunner's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Western Nebraska
Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
This is true. Sure, have a list of places you want to go/things you want to see, but don't get into the state of mind where you MUST see this and/or that. Hit as many of the things on your list as you can, you'll always find other places you hadn't anticipated that you'll want to spend time at too, and the ones you don't get to see....well, what better excuse for a second trip?!

Have fun. With the right attitude, you will. And remember lots of us will be living vicariously through you, so an RR would be much appreciated!

Good luck!

I have to agree... Plan a route and the things you must see... if you have time then you can explore a little more. I would try to make a base camp for two or three days in a geographical area and then do day trips to sightsee.

When you check out carhendge give me a shout... I live in Western Nebraska.
scudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #11
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer
 
LewisNClark's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: North GA and Atlanta
Oddometer: 971
The Big Bucket list of Places to see in North America

I had some time and organized the Big Bucket list by state. I'd bet this entire list would take 4 months to complete...if'n you plan on really seeing the sites.

The Big Bucket List of Places to see

AZ-Grand Canyon
AZ-Route 66
AZ-Barringer Crater, east of Flagstaff, AZ
AZ- Tuson, – Mount Lemmon in Santa Catalina Mountains
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Lemmon
AZ-Grand Canyon National Park
AZ-Mesa Verde National Park
AZ-Ride from Prescott, AZ to Crown King, AZ
AZ-Grand Canyon
http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-....html?id=11115
AZ- Hwy 180 from Grand Canyon to Flagstaff
AZ-Tombstone, Arizona
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tombstone,_Arizona

NV-Fly Geyser, Nevada
NV-Death Valley National Park
NV-Rhyolite Ghost Town
NV-Red Rock Canyon - Sedona, NV
NV-Valley of Fire State Park (50 miles North of Las Vegas)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_of_Fire_State_Park
NV-Fly Geyser
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_Geyser
NV-Hoover Dam
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoover_Dam
NV-Hover Dam – new bridge across the Colorado River

CA-17 Mile Drive - Pebble Beach, CA
CA-Sea to Sky highway, from Vancouver to Whistler, west coast Canada
CA-Salton Sea/Slab City/Salvation Mountain – Calpatria, CA
CA-Cloud's Rest, Yosimite, CA
CA-Redwood National Park
CA-Niagra Falls, Canada
CA-Mud Pots - Niland, CA
CA-Yosemite National Park
CA-General Grant National Park (now part of Kings Canyon)
CA-Sequoia National Park
CA-Galco's Soda Pop Stop - Los Angeles
CA-Sierra Nevada Mountains
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tioga_Pass
CA-Highway 1 from around San Luis Opismo to Morrow Bay.
CA-Hearst's Castle
CA-Yosemite NP
CA-Alabama Hills (remote but worth it)
CA-Death Valley
CA-Joshua Tree NP
CA-Mojave National Preserve (nothing there but worth seeing, needs spare gas)

NM-Lincoln National Forest
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_National_Forest
NM-Carlsbad Caverns National Park
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlsba..._National_Park
NM-Chama, New Mexico (vast elk population in remote areas)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbres...cenic_Railroad
NM-Area 51
NM-Valle Vadal (Carson National Forest) 1 of largest population of Elk in USA.
NM-Royal Gorge bridge (amazing)
NM-Whitesands Missile Range

SD-Outhouse museum - Gregory, SD
SD-Badlands National Park
SD-Black Hills
SD-Mount Rushmore

CO-Alpine Loop – CO
CO-Telluride
CO-Estes Park (animals everywhere)
CO-Rocky Mountain National Park
CO-Glenwood Springs, Garden of the Gods, Flatiron, Gunnison, Steamboat Springs
CO-Great Sand Dunes National Park - CO
CO-Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park(go to bottom on narrow paved road)
CO-UFO Watchtowers

GA-Stone Mountain
GA-City of Savannah (Riverwalk Street, at night)
GA-Tybee Island
GA-Cumberland Island (have to take a boat to see horses)

NH-Flume Gorge, Franconia State Park - New Hampshire
NH-Mt Washington - New Hampshire
NH-Kangamangus Hwy through the White Mountains

NC-Blue Ridge Parkway (NC and TN)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Ridge_Parkway
NC-"The Dragon/Deals Gap" US129 – (TN, NC)
NC-The Outer Banks of North Carolina
NC-Nantahala National Forest - NC

MT-Beartooth Highway – Montana
MT-Glacier National Park (Going to the Sun Hwy)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacier_National_Park_(U.S.)
MT-Upper Missouri Breaks (Hard to get to, dirt)
MT-Charles M. Russell Wildlife Refuse
MT-Lemhi Pass (MT and Idaho)
MT-Bannock (western ghost town)

ID-Gibbons Pass (ID and Montana)
ID-Hwy 12 (east and west)
ID-Lolo Motoring Highway (122 miles off-road – very off-road)
ID-North Fork, North Fork of the Salmon Road (dirt) to the dead end (34 miles)
ID-Hells Canyon NRA
NW-The Cascades - BC, WA, OR, CA

OR-Crater Lake, Oregon
https://maps.google.ca/maps?ie=UTF8&...04823&t=h&z=18)
Wizard Island
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard_Island
OR-Lake Chasm, OR
OR-Tillamook derigibal hanger on the Pacific
OR-Painted Hills – Mitchell, OR
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palouse_Falls
OR-John Day River/Deschutes River, Painted Hills
OR-Crater Lake National Park
Lassen Volcanic National Park
OR-Joseph, Oregon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallowa_Lake
OR-Cape Perpetua, Oregon
OR-Six Rivers National Forest - Martin's Ferry Road (169) and Bald Hills Road.
(https://maps.google.ca/maps?ie=UTF8&...C0.077162&z=14)
OR-Fort Clatsop (Astoria, Oregon)

WA/OR-Lewis and Clark State Park on the Columbia River
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_a...storical_Parks
WA-The Hwy from Asotin Washington to Enterprise Oregon (Hwy 3) is a great ride.
WA-Mount Rainier National Park
WA-Mount Saint Helen
WA/OR-Columbia River Gorge
WA- Cape Disappointment and Lighthouse

UT-Arches/Canyonlands National Parks – Moab
UT-Cisco (ghost town) Hwy 128 –my favorite short road in the USA. (20 miles)
UT-Utah –Goblin Valley State Park
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goblin_Valley_State_Park
UT-San Rafaell Swell (unique curvey road)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Rafael_Swell
UT-Between Arizona and Utah
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Powell
UT-Bryce Canyon (needs full day and hiking)
UT-Capital Reef National Park (big)
UT-Capital Reef to Hanksville, UT (via Hwy 24)
UT-Monokey Switchback (on way to Monument Valley)
UT-Monument Valley (UT and AZ)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_Valley
UT-Canyons of the Escalante - UT
UT-Zion National Park (needs 2 days to hike)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angels_Landing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zion_National_Park
UT-Kodachrome Basin State Park

WY-Grand Tetons National Park (top 10)
WY-Yellowstone
WY-Jackson Hole
WY-Pinedale and Afton, WY (towards Jackson, WY)
WY-Chief Joseph Scenic Highway
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming_Highway_296
WY-Devils Tower
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devils_...ional_Monument

TX-Big Bend NP
NE-Carhenge - Alliance, NE
NE-North Platte (worlds largest train yard)
VT-Route 100
KS- Cawker City - Largest, heaviest ball of sisal twine IN THE WORLD -
MA-Bar Harbor/Calander Islands, Maine
MI-Michigan Upper Peninsula
PA-Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gettysburg_Battlefield
MI-Sleeping Bear Dunes – near lake Michigan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeping_Bear_Dunes
VA-Foamhenge, VA
Washington DC – Smithsonian Natural History Museum & Aerospace Museum
AK- the state

Canada –Vancover Island
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Flattery
Canada- Icefields Parkway
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icefields_Parkway
Canada - Waterton National Park and Hotel
Canada - Jasper, Alberta
Canada – Lake Louise

Disclaimer: I've been to most of the above and some of these I would not put a high priority on...just a judgement call. Like, I wouldn't ride a 1,000 miles to see a "ball of twine".
__________________
The Trip: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=Lewis+Clark
Link to 4,000+ pictures of Lewis & Clark Trail:http://lewisandclark.smugmug.com/
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,847
that's one hell of a list.
in UT i think you meant to say Moki Dugway.
Givi has the Monokey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisNClark View Post
I had some time and organized the Big Bucket list by state. I'd bet this entire list would take 4 months to complete...if'n you plan on really seeing the sites.

The Big Bucket List of Places to see

AZ-Grand Canyon
AZ-Route 66
AZ-Barringer Crater, east of Flagstaff, AZ
AZ- Tuson, – Mount Lemmon in Santa Catalina Mountains
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Lemmon
AZ-Grand Canyon National Park
AZ-Mesa Verde National Park
AZ-Ride from Prescott, AZ to Crown King, AZ
AZ-Grand Canyon
http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-....html?id=11115
AZ- Hwy 180 from Grand Canyon to Flagstaff
AZ-Tombstone, Arizona
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tombstone,_Arizona

NV-Fly Geyser, Nevada
NV-Death Valley National Park
NV-Rhyolite Ghost Town
NV-Red Rock Canyon - Sedona, NV
NV-Valley of Fire State Park (50 miles North of Las Vegas)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_of_Fire_State_Park
NV-Fly Geyser
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_Geyser
NV-Hoover Dam
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoover_Dam
NV-Hover Dam – new bridge across the Colorado River

CA-17 Mile Drive - Pebble Beach, CA
CA-Sea to Sky highway, from Vancouver to Whistler, west coast Canada
CA-Salton Sea/Slab City/Salvation Mountain – Calpatria, CA
CA-Cloud's Rest, Yosimite, CA
CA-Redwood National Park
CA-Niagra Falls, Canada
CA-Mud Pots - Niland, CA
CA-Yosemite National Park
CA-General Grant National Park (now part of Kings Canyon)
CA-Sequoia National Park
CA-Galco's Soda Pop Stop - Los Angeles
CA-Sierra Nevada Mountains
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tioga_Pass
CA-Highway 1 from around San Luis Opismo to Morrow Bay.
CA-Hearst's Castle
CA-Yosemite NP
CA-Alabama Hills (remote but worth it)
CA-Death Valley
CA-Joshua Tree NP
CA-Mojave National Preserve (nothing there but worth seeing, needs spare gas)

NM-Lincoln National Forest
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_National_Forest
NM-Carlsbad Caverns National Park
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlsba..._National_Park
NM-Chama, New Mexico (vast elk population in remote areas)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbres...cenic_Railroad
NM-Area 51
NM-Valle Vadal (Carson National Forest) 1 of largest population of Elk in USA.
NM-Royal Gorge bridge (amazing)
NM-Whitesands Missile Range

SD-Outhouse museum - Gregory, SD
SD-Badlands National Park
SD-Black Hills
SD-Mount Rushmore

CO-Alpine Loop – CO
CO-Telluride
CO-Estes Park (animals everywhere)
CO-Rocky Mountain National Park
CO-Glenwood Springs, Garden of the Gods, Flatiron, Gunnison, Steamboat Springs
CO-Great Sand Dunes National Park - CO
CO-Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park(go to bottom on narrow paved road)
CO-UFO Watchtowers

GA-Stone Mountain
GA-City of Savannah (Riverwalk Street, at night)
GA-Tybee Island
GA-Cumberland Island (have to take a boat to see horses)

NH-Flume Gorge, Franconia State Park - New Hampshire
NH-Mt Washington - New Hampshire
NH-Kangamangus Hwy through the White Mountains

NC-Blue Ridge Parkway (NC and TN)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Ridge_Parkway
NC-"The Dragon/Deals Gap" US129 – (TN, NC)
NC-The Outer Banks of North Carolina
NC-Nantahala National Forest - NC

MT-Beartooth Highway – Montana
MT-Glacier National Park (Going to the Sun Hwy)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacier_National_Park_(U.S.)
MT-Upper Missouri Breaks (Hard to get to, dirt)
MT-Charles M. Russell Wildlife Refuse
MT-Lemhi Pass (MT and Idaho)
MT-Bannock (western ghost town)

ID-Gibbons Pass (ID and Montana)
ID-Hwy 12 (east and west)
ID-Lolo Motoring Highway (122 miles off-road – very off-road)
ID-North Fork, North Fork of the Salmon Road (dirt) to the dead end (34 miles)
ID-Hells Canyon NRA
NW-The Cascades - BC, WA, OR, CA

OR-Crater Lake, Oregon
https://maps.google.ca/maps?ie=UTF8&...04823&t=h&z=18)
Wizard Island
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard_Island
OR-Lake Chasm, OR
OR-Tillamook derigibal hanger on the Pacific
OR-Painted Hills – Mitchell, OR
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palouse_Falls
OR-John Day River/Deschutes River, Painted Hills
OR-Crater Lake National Park
Lassen Volcanic National Park
OR-Joseph, Oregon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallowa_Lake
OR-Cape Perpetua, Oregon
OR-Six Rivers National Forest - Martin's Ferry Road (169) and Bald Hills Road.
(https://maps.google.ca/maps?ie=UTF8&...C0.077162&z=14)
OR-Fort Clatsop (Astoria, Oregon)

WA/OR-Lewis and Clark State Park on the Columbia River
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_a...storical_Parks
WA-The Hwy from Asotin Washington to Enterprise Oregon (Hwy 3) is a great ride.
WA-Mount Rainier National Park
WA-Mount Saint Helen
WA/OR-Columbia River Gorge
WA- Cape Disappointment and Lighthouse

UT-Arches/Canyonlands National Parks – Moab
UT-Cisco (ghost town) Hwy 128 –my favorite short road in the USA. (20 miles)
UT-Utah –Goblin Valley State Park
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goblin_Valley_State_Park
UT-San Rafaell Swell (unique curvey road)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Rafael_Swell
UT-Between Arizona and Utah
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Powell
UT-Bryce Canyon (needs full day and hiking)
UT-Capital Reef National Park (big)
UT-Capital Reef to Hanksville, UT (via Hwy 24)
UT-Monokey Switchback (on way to Monument Valley)
UT-Monument Valley (UT and AZ)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_Valley
UT-Canyons of the Escalante - UT
UT-Zion National Park (needs 2 days to hike)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angels_Landing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zion_National_Park
UT-Kodachrome Basin State Park

WY-Grand Tetons National Park (top 10)
WY-Yellowstone
WY-Jackson Hole
WY-Pinedale and Afton, WY (towards Jackson, WY)
WY-Chief Joseph Scenic Highway
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming_Highway_296
WY-Devils Tower
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devils_...ional_Monument

TX-Big Bend NP
NE-Carhenge - Alliance, NE
NE-North Platte (worlds largest train yard)
VT-Route 100
KS- Cawker City - Largest, heaviest ball of sisal twine IN THE WORLD -
MA-Bar Harbor/Calander Islands, Maine
MI-Michigan Upper Peninsula
PA-Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gettysburg_Battlefield
MI-Sleeping Bear Dunes – near lake Michigan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeping_Bear_Dunes
VA-Foamhenge, VA
Washington DC – Smithsonian Natural History Museum & Aerospace Museum
AK- the state

Canada –Vancover Island
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Flattery
Canada- Icefields Parkway
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icefields_Parkway
Canada - Waterton National Park and Hotel
Canada - Jasper, Alberta
Canada – Lake Louise

Disclaimer: I've been to most of the above and some of these I would not put a high priority on...just a judgement call. Like, I wouldn't ride a 1,000 miles to see a "ball of twine".
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:20 PM   #13
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,847
141/dolores canyon colo. is a must do!
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014