User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,957
My 72 Kawi G3SS cafe is nearing completion

Not many people have ever seen or heard of these bikes before... got her for a good deal, completely stock and not running, daily drove for about 6 months, then started my restoration/cafe-ification.

Started life as this.

Skipping a LOT of explanation and pictures (can post the rest if there's any interest) she now looks like this, just waiting to finish my seat before she's road worthy again.

MiteyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,767
That is fantastic!
Come on man, you know your just teasing us with the whole, "IF there is interest" thing! Get us some photos!!!!!
Oh, and keep going, that thing is gonna turn some heads!
Old 03-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
Harry94025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
MiteyF,

Yes, please post the restoration information! A Kawasaki 90 was my first bike; mine had the blue tank with white panels, like this:

I had a lot of fun with that bike; I'd sure like to find another in restorable condition...

Harry
Harry94025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Where to start.... Purchased all original with about 1200 miles on the bike. After a new coil, points/condenser, upside down superbike bars, homemade fiberglass/carbon seat and fender, tires, and whatever else I'm forgetting, she ran great and was my daily driver for school for about 6 months, looking like this.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Then I picked up a DR350 as a daily driver, so it was time the G3 got the attention she deserved.

The idea of this build was "clean and simple".

Engine was gone through (again) although this picture doesn't show the sand blasted head and jug (when I first got it everything was *caked* in oil and dirt, amazingly dirty for a 1200 OG mile bike).

Tank was sanded and primed, with a bit of dent removal here and there.

Frame was stripped of all unnecessary mounting brackets, cleaned, sanded and painted.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Rear hoop was shortened with new brackets welded on to give the "subframe" a shorter cleaner look. The battery was replaced with 2 6V capacitors, and the rear frame was drilled and tapped for my capacitor/regulator bracket. If you've never drilled small round tubing, a sharp punch and bits are a necessity Note that these pics are of an earlier, higher voltage cap I had, that worked great, but blew bulbs like nobody's business.

Paintwork continued on engine covers, tank, headlight bucket etc. Don't let the pictures from my basement fool you, it's not baby-shit yellow/green, it's Kawi green, but the lighting inside doesn't reflect that very well!

Old 03-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #7
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
Not many people have ever seen or heard of these bikes before...

my first bike (not this one but one just like it) bought it brand new.

Its a 71. Found a pretty decent one at Mid Ohio in 2007 but no room on trailer. you never forget your first...

nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
G3ssWoes
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Fiberglass Seat

Beautiful build. This bike definitely inspired me to build up my g3ss as a cafe. I was wondering if you still had the red seat from your first build. If so, and you were willing to part with it, I'd be very interested in taking it off your hands. -Adam
G3ssWoes is offline   Reply With Quote