ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
jscottyk OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jscottyk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 329
Kineo Tubeless Wheels

I did a quick google search here at advrider.com and don't seem much discussion of these. Anybody know anything about these?... Seen them in the flesh?

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=63917.0
http://www.ratherberiding.co.za/go-o...-wheel-system/
http://www.in-motion.it/main.php?lan...=4&contText=2#
jscottyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,768
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco
 
Camel ADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 1,293
Cool but at $1800 US for the front and $2000 for the rear and I expect they won't sell many
__________________
Camel Tank auxiliary fuel tank for F series BMW twins. www.Camel-ADV.com

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanco View Post
Cool but at $1800 US for the front and $2000 for the rear and I expect they won't sell many
I will second that.......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,768
Agreed.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
jscottyk OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jscottyk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 329
Indeed. Makes the billet/Caponord setup look affordable!
jscottyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
modeselector
Common as muck
 
modeselector's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Washington USA
Oddometer: 615
[QUOTE=Oso Blanco;15549146]Cool but at $1800 US for the front and $2000 for the rear and I expect they won't sell many[/QUOTE

Good for Woody
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
Ball and Chain
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Cape Town
Oddometer: 12
I bought a set of the Kineo tubeless rims for my KTM 990R. It seems to me that the time has come to open the can of worms
Ball and Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation
 
Mollygrubber's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 1,252
Wow. Rim porn.

__________________
"What you damn kids need is a right good war" - my father
Mollygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider
 
ScienceOfDirt's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Snowbelt/Rustbelt of Northeast Ohio
Oddometer: 1,668
I like the tubeless idea and the look, but are they actually strong enough for off road, and can they be straightened. At that price, I'd hate to abuse them and find out the answer is no.
__________________
Friend: That was some trail shortcut. Me: Yep. See how fast we got lost.
ScienceOfDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #11
Ball and Chain
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Cape Town
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
I like the tubeless idea and the look, but are they actually strong enough for off road, and can they be straightened. At that price, I'd hate to abuse them and find out the answer is no.
It is actually not the rim that gives the problems. It's the combination of rear hub and cush drive. The cush drive fits onto 8 studs from the hub, but the studs can't handle the power of the 990. It snaps off. My hub is destroyed and I'm struggling now for 10 weeks and still no answer. The supplier now wants to tell me the chain was to to tight.

The sprocket is also a problem. It fits onto the cush drive with 8 studs into the hub. (no lock nuts) Mine came loose within the first 200km's. Lock tite don't help either. I replaces the studs with bolts with lock nuts. The sprocket is in a worse condition after 3800 km's than the standard sprocket was after 18000 km's.
Ball and Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #12
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider
 
ScienceOfDirt's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Snowbelt/Rustbelt of Northeast Ohio
Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball and Chain View Post
It is actually not the rim that gives the problems. It's the combination of rear hub and cush drive. The cush drive fits onto 8 studs from the hub, but the studs can't handle the power of the 990. It snaps off. My hub is destroyed and I'm struggling now for 10 weeks and still no answer. The supplier now wants to tell me the chain was to to tight.

The sprocket is also a problem. It fits onto the cush drive with 8 studs into the hub. (no lock nuts) Mine came loose within the first 200km's. Lock tite don't help either. I replaces the studs with bolts with lock nuts. The sprocket is in a worse condition after 3800 km's than the standard sprocket was after 18000 km's.
10 weeks is long time to wait. I would hope they would want to see you hub to help improve the product. Is there any kind of warranty on these? Let us know how you make out.
__________________
Friend: That was some trail shortcut. Me: Yep. See how fast we got lost.
ScienceOfDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #13
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser
 
señormoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: California + Costa Rica
Oddometer: 1,110
There's always this tubeless system. I used these in desert races. They're a total bitch to get mounted but they work on any existing tube-type rims. Not even terribly expensive: http://www.nuetech.com/
señormoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:08 AM   #14
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by themattreid View Post
There's always this tubeless system. I used these in desert races. They're a total bitch to get mounted but they work on any existing tube-type rims. Not even terribly expensive: http://www.nuetech.com/
Nope, you need very narrow rims: 1.6"/2.15" vs. 2.5"/4.25" that the BMW uses (plus the rear is only available in 18" while the BMW has a 17").

This is fine for a mostly off road bike but would of course compromise the street handling.
__________________
RTW trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:06 AM   #15
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Nope, you need very narrow rims: 1.6"/2.15" vs. 2.5"/4.25" that the BMW uses (plus the rear is only available in 18" while the BMW has a 17").

This is fine for a mostly off road bike but would of course compromise the street handling.
They are releasing new sizes soon. A 17 is joining the current sizes. Don't know what width, but it's aimed at the adventure bike market.

According to the parts guy at the local bike shop the other day when I asked.



I have them on order. To go with my Rekluse clutch.......snigger.....
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014