Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2011, 05:05 AM   #1
Rob Farmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,116
Are we about to have an airhead parts crisis?

A couple of months ago I tried to order a pair of brake shoes for my 100PD, after 5 weeks of waiting the local dealer gave me the cash back.

I ordered a replacement rear indicator mount for the same bike yesterday and got a note through today saying "This part is no longer available".

Not looking good. anybody else having similar problems with parts?
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,174
Sometimes I feel like i'm personally giving the supply chains afloat

No, no problems yet, except that prices on OEM pistons and cylinders went through the roof. Approaching half the net worth of the bike.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Max Headroom
lost in the '70s

Oddometer: 504
The list of "NLA's for airheads at authorised BMW dealerships has been growing for some time.

However, the availability of parts through independent suppliers tends to mitigate the situation, although some aftermarket parts suppliers are better than others just as some aftermarket parts are better than others.

Rob, you're fortunate to have Motorworks, Motobins and James Sherlock "on your doorstep" so to speak. I've dealt with Motobins for fifteen years from the other side of the planet, and still buy the bulk of my parts through them because I find them reasonable to deal with and their products generally are very good. On the few occasions there's been an issue, they have been quick to sort it out.

YMMV etc

"Don't worry, it's not loaded."
last words of Chicago's Terry Kath before shooting himself in 1978
Max Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,214
I was shocked when I entered the world of BMW's at how readily available most parts still are. You guys have it good. Call HD or a Japanese brand and ask for OEM parts for a 30+ year old motorcycle.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhach View Post
I was shocked when I entered the world of BMW's at how readily available most parts still are. You guys have it good. Call HD or a Japanese brand and ask for OEM parts for a 30+ year old motorcycle.
Harley probably no problem. There's a good chance they may be using the same parts on their new bikes.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,353
I have been reading here how great the prices and availability is for BMWs. Used parts are affordable because of the scrapers that are parting out bikes that need more new parts than they are worth.
To put an old airhead back into top shape though, some new parts are needed, like pistons and clutches, which have become very expensive in the last couple of years. When the supply of old junkers (that the Ebay scrapers buy) runs out, used prices will go up accordingly.
I have done my share of restoring/rebuilding old airheads, so for a change last year, I restored a 1966 Triumph. To my surprise the parts were cheaper than for like BMW parts, with great availability. You can buy a brand new (74 I think) Norton Commando, because all the parts are still made and many are of higher quality than the original.
Just my take on it.

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
A couple of months ago I tried to order a pair of brake shoes for my 100PD, after 5 weeks of waiting the local dealer gave me the cash back.

I ordered a replacement rear indicator mount for the same bike yesterday and got a note through today saying "This part is no longer available".

Not looking good. anybody else having similar problems with parts?

Okay Rob, here's the real story.
Just because the parts aren't currently available, doesn't mean they are NLA.
Your dealer is wrong.
I checked my sources at BMW AG and NA, and the brake shoes (34212311019) are not in stock in Germany or the USA, ( can't tell on the UK, no access) but are NOT listed as being NLA with BMW, just not currently available.
The same goes with the turn signal mounts.
All are just out of stock, except for the 63231244020, as there are 24 pieces in USA at the Nazareth Pennsylvania warehouse.
SOoooo, you might want to talk to your dealer about that as they may be reading the notes wrong from BMW

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
zenben
all roads are one

Oddometer: 596
Max is mostly right. Parts availability for old beamers is better than virtually anything on two wheels of similar era.
I've been doing rehab on old bikes for decades, and in that time the cost of old BMW parts (believe it or not) has actually gotten LOWER.
Some stuff is OOP, but alternatives exist (many of which are better). Poor people can still economically ride 30+ year old beamers as daily transportation and not worry. Its precisely why I started collecting airheads again after a 12 year lapse.
Try to match that with any other marque. Seriously; go ahead and try it.
zenben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
bikecat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Re rear brakes - look up EBC.

Cheers
bikecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #10
Rob Farmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikecat View Post
Re rear brakes - look up EBC.

Cheers
I'm not a fan of the EBC shoes they never seem to work as well as the BMW ones. I may not have a choice though.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:33 AM   #11
JohnDL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Hi Rob

Is relining the brake shoes and option? I remember my brother having this done when brake shoes were no longer available for his bike - not a BMW of course!

Found this after a Google search:

http://www.jimjackservices.co.uk/cars.html

John
JohnDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #12
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
Your dealer is wrong.
I checked my sources at BMW AG and NA, and the brake shoes (34212311019) are not in stock in Germany or the USA, ( can't tell on the UK, no access) but are NOT listed as being NLA with BMW, just not currently available.
All are just out of stock, except for the 63231244020, as there are 24 pieces in USA at the Nazareth Pennsylvania warehouse.
SOoooo, you might want to talk to your dealer about that as they may be reading the notes wrong from BMW
Just like some brands do all the time with all their bikes old and new! I am going to pretend that I have a DuBMcati for the weekend! It will be fun!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:44 PM   #13
Rob Farmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
Your dealer is wrong.
Thanks for the update.

No brake shoes in the UK either.

It was Pidcocks BMW in Long Eaton who had the problem getting the Brake shoes, Initially the report from Germany was that the shoes were going to be made to order, after 5 weeks and numerous emails that didn't achieve anything we gave up and Pidcocks gave me a refund. Dale the parts guy at Pidcocks was fantastic calling me frequently with updates, service over and above any I'd received before.

You must have an internal link to Pidcocks, drop Dale a line I'm sure he'll let you know what the notes from BMW say.

Motorworks sent me a note yesterday saying the indicator stems were no longer available. I'm heading over to Pidcocks this morning to see if they can order me a replacement.