User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
underkill OP
Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer: 1,709
Shorty needs a trials bike!

I need some help picking the right bike!

Me: 5'3" 120#s tough but clumsy
Past Bikes: KTM 105 (peaky as hell), KTM 250 (total pig in the singletrack), etc (check sig)
Currect bike: KLX 250. Love the little thing. Finally found one that FITS!

I have my KLX for general offroading and dual sporting.. I had a couple horrible experiences with the KTM 250f in the singletrack by the house... it was huge and heavy to steer, and then I nearly crushed my ankle with it. I find that every bike I've had so far i've had to fight the hell out of when the trail starts to get tighter...

All I'll be doing with the bike is the technical singletrack (and jumping stuff in the backyard...). I was thinking about a 125 long ride, but I really dont care if I can sit or not.. Mostly, I've had such horrible luck finding bikes that fit me right... I was hoping y'all would have some recommendations for me so I get it right the first time and dont end up with the biggest baddest trials bike that shows up at the right price, scare myself silly, and give up on singletrack entirely...

Here's a pic of me and the KLX so y'all know what you're up against!
underkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
If you are looking for a bike to ride on the trails (I'm not sure if you are looking to get into trials or are looking for a small/light and non-peaky trail bike) - have you thought about a gasgas pamera (250 or 280cc version)?

Making a small bore two stroke like the ktm 105 or KX100 less peaky is also do-able. They won't turn into trials motors, but can be made much more doable. I've set up two KX100s for woods riding (sister's and wife's) with good results. On older non-power valve cylinders a 107cc big bore combined with a lower, smaller exhaust port really works wonders. On the new power-valve motor I made a "power now" type device for the carb and fitted a 12oz flywheel weight. I'm sure porting would take it a lot further, but that mellowed it enough that my wife is happy with the power delivery. It still goes fast when you want it to as well.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
underkill OP
Horsepower Junkie

The 105 I had had lower gearing up front, jetting, flywheel weight, rekluse autoclutch..

I guess what I really want is an actual trials bike or longride type bike. I have looked at the Pampera a bit, but since I already have a little KLX, I wanted something a little more on the other end for "extreme" trails...

I read a thread earlier where someone bought a Beta 80 for his wife.. small frame with fullsize wheels... would something like that work for me? Can I even get that over here?
Old 04-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Have a look at the Beta EVO 200 http://www.americanbeta.com/2011-evo-trials.html
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
A 200 or 250cc Trials bike is easier to ride than an 80, but harder to start. you need to try some Trials bikes to see what you're comfortable with.

What part of WA?
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
Pro_Marinero
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,087
You can get a 200 and space the head to a 125. Easy to start and still has plenty of snort. A guy I know did this for his 5' wife with a GG 200 Pro.

Seats are overrated. I did 28 miles last year on one ride without one. You can too.
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
underkill OP
Horsepower Junkie

Located in Bremerton, WA... are there any dealers out here with bikes? I've never actually even seen a trials bike in person.. that's depressing...
Old 04-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty

Oddometer: 677
Hey Underkill,

I'm 5'4", 133lbs w/ 29" inseam and some similar bikes to yours in the past; adding dirt riding the last 8 years to some 25 yrs of street.

My big partner and I were talked into a used 2007 Beta Rev-3 270 as our first trials bike this New Year. We never thought much about the kickstart, since it was never a problem at trials classes we took in the past; but we both struggled with the high-compression kick, it it took away from enjoyment of the bike.

Long story, short, we sold the 270 and test rode a 2004 Beta 200. Much easier to start, and super-controlled power delivery. The 270 was fine after getting it kick-started, but the 200 is even better with both the ease of starting and the control, which is what trials riding is all about.

The Beta trials bikes have long-range gas tank/seat combos as accessories for for trail riding. http://www.americanbeta.com/beta-tri...cessories.html

We are going to share a new evo 200.

Good luck with your search.
-Janet
Janet from Joisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #9
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,838
Here is trials bike info in a nutshell if I can remember it correctly. The 125 uses a shorter swingarm than the 200 but otherwise they are almost identical. As someone said earlier you can put a spacer in the cylinder to make it a 125.

A 200 will have electric motor type power and do almost anything the typical rider can accomplish. In fact it is probably better for the typical rider than the more popular 280's. But we got's to ride what the pros ride.

A 280 will be easier to find on the used market and the sizing will be the same as the 200. Weight difference will be minimal as well. Power comes on harder but you can put in a slower throttle grip to make things more manageable and drop the front sprocket a tooth for more control. Fuel will be an issue but you won't burn fuel like you would on a two stroke woods bike. Trials bikes tend to be more mellow and go a long way on a tank of fuel, but you only have a gallon to start with.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #10
Charla
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 26,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by underkill View Post
I need some help picking the right bike!

Me: 5'3" 120#s tough but clumsy
Past Bikes: KTM 105 (peaky as hell), KTM 250 (total pig in the singletrack), etc (check sig)
Currect bike: KLX 250. Love the little thing. Finally found one that FITS!

I have my KLX for general offroading and dual sporting.. I had a couple horrible experiences with the KTM 250f in the singletrack by the house... it was huge and heavy to steer, and then I nearly crushed my ankle with it. I find that every bike I've had so far i've had to fight the hell out of when the trail starts to get tighter...

All I'll be doing with the bike is the technical singletrack (and jumping stuff in the backyard...). I was thinking about a 125 long ride, but I really dont care if I can sit or not.. Mostly, I've had such horrible luck finding bikes that fit me right... I was hoping y'all would have some recommendations for me so I get it right the first time and dont end up with the biggest baddest trials bike that shows up at the right price, scare myself silly, and give up on singletrack entirely...
Thinking more on this....

Since you're not actually interested in trials, I'd suggest looking for a 200 2-stroke trail bike. I have a KTM 200 and I love it for trail riding. It's extremely light, much lighter than a 250F and it has better fuel range than a trials bike.
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:06 AM   #11
Blinkerfluid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla View Post

Since you're not actually interested in trials, I'd suggest looking for a 200 2-stroke trail bike. I have a KTM 200 and I love it for trail riding. It's extremely light, much lighter than a 250F and it has better fuel range than a trials bike.
I don't think it's that she's not interested in observed trials, it's just that she wants a trials bike that she can also ride single track on. My guess is that you could do this on any of them, so she was just trying to figure out which bike would fit her best.

The seat doesn't really matter, the only reason we were looking at the long ride type bikes is for the bigger gas tank.

The extremely low weight of the trials bikes is also one of the big appeals.. she doesn't have any interest in wrestling another 250# dirt bike around in the woods.

But yea, mostly I think she just wants one.. they look like fun, I want one too
Blinkerfluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #12
underkill OP
Horsepower Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla View Post

Yeah, it's not that i'm NOT interested in actual trials competitions.. honestly I haven't really thought about it.. I just want something tiny and light that i can play around on singletrack with.. jump logs and rocks and not get crushed when it falls over... I'd LOVE to have a 200.. (ridden one!) but it seems not that different from my KTM 250f that I had... and didn't really bond with.. I'd also have to lower it 2" like all the rest of them.. and I didn't like how that felt, especially in the tight stuff... I already have my little KLX... it's not THAT much heavier than the big KTMs...

So.... the longride would be cool... but.. the crossovers (reflex, alp, etc) I think are just too close to the bike I already have... Maybe I'll just take the seat off the KLX and see how that goes...

So I guess I'll just wait for a nice looking 125 or 200 trials bike to pop up and proceed to harass (my actually very cool) neighbors with it!
Old 04-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #13
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
Sounds like a plan!

Just FYI a pampera is way smaller than a KTM 200, but you are right, the ktm 200 isn't very different in size from the 250F. The pampera will be physically about like your KTM105. It'll weight more though at about 200lbs (still 70lbs lighter than the klx and about 8lbs lighter than a KTM 200) and being a trials(ish) motor is all about low-mid torque. I don't see a cross-over, ultra like trail bike as being all that close to a fairly heavy dual sport bike. I'm 5'10" and 160lbs and the KLX250S is more weight than I'd really like to wrestle on single track (not that I haven't done such things, it just isn't ideal), but a pampera or similar feels like a toy while, for my size a small bore, full size two stroke is about ideal for single track (WR125, KDX200, KTM200 etc).

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703

BikePilot screwed with this post 04-06-2011 at 10:28 AM
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #14
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,467
I'm the guy with the Scorpa Long Ride for sale (flea market linky here). My wife is about 5'5" and rides the Scorpa casually on dirt roads. I've ridden it on our club's upper class loops and other single track, and even on the street. The Long Ride lacks the ergos for serious single track trail riding--the pegs are in the wrong place--but it doesn't have nosebleed seat height like even a 125 KTM or other dirtbike. It's a Yamaha 175cc four-stroke engine, so it's relatively easy to start but cold-blooded. You *could* do beginner or novice trials on it, but the cable clutch has more slop than the hydraulic clutch of modern trials bikes, and the bike is heavier than any purpose-built modern trials bike at about 180-190 lbs. Its saving grace is top-line suspension, fully adjustable forks and such.
ridenm is offline   Reply With Quote