User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
Greek Oddity OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Injector resurection.

I recently purchased a r1100gs with 17,000 miles that had been sitting for 7 years in an unheated Chicago garage. I got it home, changed the oil flushed out the old fuel in the tank, changed the battery, and hit the start button. The bike kinda started but was bucking and would only run if I feathered the throttle.

I decided to pull the injectors to look at the spray pattern. The left looked good but the right one was spraying nothing. I swapped it to the other side and still nothing, but the left one looked good on the other side. I figured the injector was stuck or clogged so I tried flushing the inlet of the bad injector with gumout, blew it out with compressed air and put it back on the bike with no change at all. I removed the injector again, filled the inlet of the injector with gumout and put a rubber tipped air gun onto spray side of the injector pulled the trigger and nothing happened. I repeated this a few more times and then pulled the gun about a 1/4 inch from the injector nozzle pulled the trigger, and poof the gumout bubbled out the inlet. I refilled the inlet an repeated this a couple more times, put the injector back on the bike and it ran great.

I know this is not a scientific way to "fix" a stuck or maybe clogged injector but I am pretty convinced it worked this time.

Chris
Greek Oddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
I always go into the ECU and upped the duty cycle % for a bit. But many aren't able to do that. So this guy does it cheap and quick turnaround as well.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,828
Take 'em to a diesel shop and have them cleaned in their ultrasonic cleaning tank
Old 04-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
I've had great results using Mr. Injector. Only $16 per FI plus $5 for Priority Mail return shipping for a quick turnaround time.

http://www.mrinjector.us/
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
St_rydr
Strider

Oddometer: 5,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermoose View Post
Take 'em to a diesel shop and have them cleaned in their ultrasonic cleaning tank
Most transmission shops have ultrasonic cleaning tanks around me anyways now...+1 they come out clean with no damage as it's only hot water used.

Try Smug Mug!
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Update: Mr. Injector is awesome. I recently sent him a set of four fuel injectors that were absolutely pathetic. They came from a parts bike that had been sitting and rusting since the dawn of time. You could look down in the tops of them and literally see them clogged with brown gunk. The outsides of them were all covered in rust spots as well.

After he'd worked on them for a while he said he was only able to get two of them unstuck. This was not surprising gvien what I'd sent him. He offered me some other injectors (for the same price) but I explained that those were a different part and I wasn't sure if they'd work. A day later he emailed me again to let me know that he'd put some more effort into the two that were still stuck and was finally able to get them cleaned up and working.

Here's what I got back:

I really wish I'd taken a before picture so you guys could see what pathetic POS FIs I sent him because not only did he unstick/clean them but he also sanded them down and repainted them so that they look pretty close to brand new now. That's a pretty good deal for $16 if you ask me.

I installed them on Friday and the bike I installed them on is now running like a top.

duck screwed with this post 04-18-2011 at 09:48 AM
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,922
So fuel injectors will clog up much like carbs during storage.

Do they clog as quickly as a carb, would you be able to get away with winter storage (3-4 months) without stabilizer?
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote