Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,031
Perry's Sidecars mounting kit

Hi Folks,

I've been searching the net for parts/methods in my endeavor to hang a Dnepr on my '78 R80/7. I came across Perry's Sidecars in Ft. Worth, TX.
I called him about modded triple trees, but he told me he sells an entire mounting kit including the trees for a very reasonable price. He sounded like a very knowledgeable gent and a nice guy to boot.

I asked about a subframe and he was very adamant that his system does away for the need for one. That's contrary to everything I've heard elsewhere. He tried to explain it to me, but I can't quite envision it and he doesn't have detail pics on his site.

Has anyone out there used Perry's kit to hang a chair on their /6 or /7 airhead? Is it stiff enough with no subframe? How was the rest of it- triple trees, etc?

I'd rather fork over the dough to Mr. Perry than be cutting up and welding mill steel in my basement, not to mention engineering it all from scratch.

Any comments are appreciated. Photos of a Perry system would be great!

Jim
MotoJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
Sidecar Oscar
n00b

Oddometer: 7
No Subframe

Jim,
Ask Perry to send along a few pictures. No subframe doesn't seem like the usual way to approach this problem, but you can't judge the results without any facts. Pictures will clear up a lot of questions. After we see Perry's sytem we can nit pick or cheer as seems appropriate.

Sidecar Oscar
Sidecar Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,164
Perry has a good reputation and has been doing sidecars for a long time. However, we used a mounting kit I believe came from Perry on an old /5. It was a solid mount, but the lack of a subframe was apparent. I could actually see Mike's bike flex and step through the corners. I know others who also claim a subframe isn't necessary for the old airheads, but I remain unconvinced...
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
boxertwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
There's not a triangle to be found in the airhead loop frames. They flex too much by themselves. I've not tried to hang a car off of one but I've owned several airheads and they have way too good of a reputation for as whippy as they are. Though unexperienced, I'm unconvinced as well.

I could actually see Mike's bike flex and step through the corners. I know others who also claim a subframe isn't necessary for the old airheads, but I remain unconvinced...
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:16 AM   #5
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,405
From the /5 up the BMWs really should have a subframe or at a bare minimum a partial subframe.
Yes, many will say " I ran a slash whatever for a hundred years with no problems blah blah".
Some will report of flexing going on.
Some have actually had the motocycle frame crack.
QUESTION: How precious is your cargo?
Ever hear the term 'rubber cow'?
Subframes add strength but also allow mounting points to be placed for decent triagulation and ease of adjustment. We mount vary few sidecars without the use of a subframe.
Your call of course.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
Sparrowhawkdesign
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Mounts

BMW /6-/7 mount assembly. Actually the front mount has been changed slightly at the top but you get the idea. We've done a lot of these. B
Attached Images

General Manager, designer, installer, test rider, problem solver. Generally whatever needs doing.
37 YEARS PLAYING WITH SIDECARS

Myths and misinformation are more seductive than the truth.
Sparrowhawkdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
Ace_Cafe_Rat
Rogue Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
Hi Folks,

I've been searching the net for parts/methods in my endeavor to hang a Dnepr on my '78 R80/7. I came across Perry's Sidecars in Ft. Worth, TX.
I called him about modded triple trees, but he told me he sells an entire mounting kit including the trees for a very reasonable price. He sounded like a very knowledgeable gent and a nice guy to boot.

I asked about a subframe and he was very adamant that his system does away for the need for one. That's contrary to everything I've heard elsewhere. He tried to explain it to me, but I can't quite envision it and he doesn't have detail pics on his site.

Has anyone out there used Perry's kit to hang a chair on their /6 or /7 airhead? Is it stiff enough with no subframe? How was the rest of it- triple trees, etc?

I'd rather fork over the dough to Mr. Perry than be cutting up and welding mill steel in my basement, not to mention engineering it all from scratch.

Any comments are appreciated. Photos of a Perry system would be great!

Jim
Hi Jim,

Perry built a rig for me in 2008 using my 1977 R100/7 and a Ural sidecar he obtained for me. It was a down-to-the-nuts-n-bolts rebuild and the resulting rig was a work of art in both form and function. Go with his triple trees for sure they work as advertised.

Ace Cafe Rat

Hoban "Wash" Washburne - Firefly & Serenity
Ace_Cafe_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #8
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Cafe_Rat View Post
Hi Jim,

Perry built a rig for me in 2008 using my 1977 R100/7 and a Ural sidecar he obtained for me. It was a down-to-the-nuts-n-bolts rebuild and the resulting rig was a work of art in both form and function. Go with his triple trees for sure they work as advertised.

Ace Cafe Rat
Thanks Rat. My original post was in 2011. I ultimately went another route, but if I build another airhead rig I will probably go with Perry's trees.
Post up some pics of your rig!

Can I take it from your sig that you're also a Royal Enfield iron barrel rider?
Met too. Loads of fun!