User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
wvrocks OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
1978 BMW R100/7 Advice

I just came across a '78 R100/7 and I'm considering buying it. Its got 56k miles, paint is Burnt Orange Metallic and is probaby a 8 of 10. Some of the tank pinstriping is worn and there are a few small dings in the tank. Tank looks ok inside. The seat has one small tear that was covered with tape near the latch. Comes with Krauser hard cases that are in good condition with extra keys and an expandable leather BMW tankbag and an aftermarket handlebar mounted clear windscreen. Also includes extra rear brake shoes, one mirror, a full set of extra cables, extra plug wires, 10 oil filters and 3 air filters, a big stack of head gaskets, extra windscreen, some hippohands and some exhaust shields. New brakes pads on the front and decent looking tires. The fork boots and shaft drive boot are pliable with no cracks. Its last long trip was DC to British Columbia with no issues.

So thats the good stuff...

Now the not so good. The bike hasn't been ridden in 2 years due to the owner breaking a leg on a fall at home. Its been started every month or so over that 2 years. He went on a trip for 2 months, came back and it wouldn't start. It cranks but doesn't fire.

There is a small oil leak that appears to be coming from around the oil pan gasket, mostly around near the back of the engine. It sounds like its been doing that for a while.

The left carb overflows when you turn the petcock on. Takes about 10 seconds to start overflowing. I have no idea how long the gas has been in the tank.

He's asking $2000 and seems confident he could get more if it was running.

This would be my first airhead, having owned an SV650 and a KLR previously. I'm not afraid of working on the bike myself but I curious if this sounds like a good deal or not. Does the non start condition seem like something that should be reasonably simple to fix? Carb and oil leak?

Thanks much!
Old 05-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,381
That's a good deal. The carb leak is just some smeg between the float needle and seat and should be super easy. The oil leak could be anything, but you could ride it around even with it leaking. You'll want to change all fluids and make sure the gas tank is really clean, as well as the carbs, but just busy work more than anything technical. Go for it!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,247
I've got a 78 100/7 with over 200k on it. Buy that one you won't be disappointed.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
wvrocks OP
Studly Adventurer

Here are some pics

Old 05-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
97oilhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
That's a good buy.

If you don't want it I'll buy it.
'95 R100R Classic
97oilhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
Speed King
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,601
2k? I'd be on that.
Speed King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,381
Nice! A little oil goes a long way on cardboard and cement so hard to tell about the leak. Often the oil pressure sender will leak on left side of engine toward bottom, or the pushrod seals. Worst case scenario is the rear main. Can you tell where it is coming from? If not, then you have to clean off the engine and run it a while.

No matter what at $2K it's a good deal, at least at PNW prices.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,144
[QUOTE=wvrocks;16020557]I just came across a '78 R100/7 and I'm considering buying it. Its got 56k miles,

That is in the area of worn valve guides. At that age a seal here and a seal there will weep or leak. Under engine could be oil pressure switch or neutral switch. Somestime a seal leak will stop after using it again for a while.

paint is Burnt Orange Metallic and is probaby a 8 of 10. Some of the tank pinstriping is worn and there are a few small dings in the tank. Tank looks ok inside. The seat has one small tear that was covered with tape near the latch. Comes with Krauser hard cases that are in good condition with extra keys and an expandable leather BMW tankbag and an aftermarket handlebar mounted clear windscreen. Also includes extra rear brake shoes, one mirror, a full set of extra cables, extra plug wires, 10 oil filters

If they are BMW or Mahle, OK.

and 3 air filters, a big stack of head gaskets,

I guess I would want to know why anyone would have a stack of head gaskets?? Bet you mean valve cover gaskets.

extra windscreen, some hippohands and some exhaust shields. New brakes pads on the front and decent looking tires. The fork boots and shaft drive boot are pliable with no cracks. Its last long trip was DC to British Columbia with no issues.

So far, sounds like a better than avg Airhead package.

So thats the good stuff...

Now the not so good. The bike hasn't been ridden in 2 years due to the owner breaking a leg on a fall at home. Its been started every month or so over that 2 years.

That is quite bad procedure. Check to see if the oil is milky looking. If you don't get the engine hot and keep it hot for 20 minutes or so you will build up condensation and contaminate the oil.

He went on a trip for 2 months, came back and it wouldn't start. It cranks but doesn't fire.

Don't try to start it until you have cleaned out the tank and carbs. Fresh gas please. Today's gas goes sour in a few months.

There is a small oil leak that appears to be coming from around the oil pan gasket, mostly around near the back of the engine. It sounds like its been doing that for a while.

Source can only be determined by cleaning and drying, then watch and pay attention until you find the source. Talcum powder make a good tell tale.

The left carb overflows when you turn the petcock on. Takes about 10 seconds to start overflowing. I have no idea how long the gas has been in the tank.

He's asking $2000 and seems confident he could get more if it was running.

So why doesn't he get it running??

This would be my first airhead, having owned an SV650 and a KLR previously. I'm not afraid of working on the bike myself but I curious if this sounds like a good deal or not. Does the non start condition seem like something that should be reasonably simple to fix? Carb and oil leak?

Bottom line, yeah, not a bad deal. Very easy to do worse. Any Airhead with a few issues that you can fix yourself for less than a grand added is about as good as it gets. You would be better off paying $3000 for one with recent valve guides/seats and no leaks and runs out just fine, if you could find one.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #9
dogmantra
the White Shadow

Oddometer: 355
If you don't want it let m know where it's at.

1968 BSA B-25 Starfire
dogmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,144
Just came to me:

IF I already had a /7 or similar Airhead and
IF I expect to put a lifetime of miles on it and
IF I was under 30 so I could do it and
IF I had the space then

Buying this one or one similar and shelving the spares for my future use would be money well spent. Recover much from things you don't expect to need. How much will a good tranny be worth 10 years down the road when you need it?? A new light switch for my 79 is currently $140 new. It will last a long time but somewhere between 150-300k expect you will need one. That danged spezial axle washer flew off somewhere and I looked everywhere but I got a spare. It's a no brainer if lowest time used with highest value over the long haul is your definition of best results.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #11
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,388
Harro tank bag- big +
Krauser Starlet bags- Make sure he has keys for them
Factroy BMW accessory wind screen big +
All of the oil leaks look more like the lack of keeping the bike clean. Clean out the float bowl, change the engine oil and ride it
2000.00 is a great price.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600

bmweuro screwed with this post 05-27-2011 at 04:58 PM
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #12
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,835
Total POS, you'll never be happy-let someone else inherit the misery...
ozmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #13
wvrocks OP
Studly Adventurer

DoktorT, I think the main reason he hasn't worked on it is because he has problems walking with a cane. Not exactly a priority. I kind of got the feeling he wanted it out of his his garage so he didnt have too think about it too much.

And you were correct, valve cover gaskets.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #14
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,883
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY1fmuJBVh4
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #15
pthomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
If I hadn't already bought my bike, I would by that in a heartbeat. Mine was a bit more expensive and didn't have a fuel tank.

I brought her home last week and I'm just now going through it and even though it wasn't supposed to have issues, except for a pinhole in the crossover tube, it looks like I'll easily be spending AMU+ on it just to be roadworthy (Airhead Monetary Unit, $1,000). Looking nice will be another AMU+

1974 R90/6
pthomas is offline   Reply With Quote