ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
emt8q5 OP
Adventurer
 
emt8q5's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 88
Scooter safety and ATGATT guilt

Hey folks...

ok, I've got a question here, and would love some input. A bit tongue in cheek, but still legitimate:

I live in sub-urban area (Clayton, MO for those of you familiar with St. Louis) which is pretty compact. During the summer, I swim laps most week nights at my community pool which is maybe 2 miles from my apartment. I see all these folks zipping around on scooters in shorts, tshirt and sandals with open face helmets on and I'm jealous. Why can't I ride my G650gs to the pool in my swimsuit and tshirt with boat shoes on? If I stay below 30mph, isn't my G650gs just as safe (if not safer) than these scooters?

I'm 100% ATGATT, however I'm considering making an exception for the 2 mile commute assuming I stay under 30mph (speed limit of 20mph on my route to the pool)...What do you guys think?
emt8q5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
SgtDuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 3,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt8q5 View Post
Why can't I ride my G650gs to the pool in my swimsuit and tshirt with boat shoes on?
Who ever said that you couldn't?!

Do what you want, it's your own skin.

If you think that an accident is less likely to occur during a short trip at low speed. To me, it's like saying that you can CHOOSE when you'll agree to have an accident or not but each his own.
__________________
2010 Buell Ulysses
1984 Suzuki GR650 "Tempter"
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
CZP01
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Here
Oddometer: 116
You can't pick and choose when it is "safe" and when it is "not safe". People sometimes die in low-speed crashes (remember the motor cop that just died in a funeral procession?) and people sometimes walk away from high-speed crashes.

I used to be 90% ATGATT but since it's warming up I've started taking the 3-mile ride to work wearing just my work uniform (khakis and a polo), a helmet, gloves, and boots. Is it slightly more dangerous? Yes. Is it much more convenient, comfortable, and most of all liberating? YES.
CZP01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Do what you want, it's your own skin.

^^^ ^^^
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
SgtDuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 3,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
^^^ ^^^
__________________
2010 Buell Ulysses
1984 Suzuki GR650 "Tempter"
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
Dirt Road Cowboy
Treasure Hunter
 
Dirt Road Cowboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Tyler, Texas
Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt8q5 View Post
...What do you guys think?
Why do you care what we think?

It's your life, live it the way you want!

BTW, I'm not ATGATT, but I spare the world from having to be blinded by the brightness of my legs!
__________________
78 GL1000 Full Vetter
75 GL1000 Nekid/Minimalistic
73 Ironhead Sportster
66 CT200/Lifan 140 (Trail 90) Build Report
XR100 engine and misc. parts, waiting for the Mad Scientist treatment!
Dirt Road Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,370
I have seen some nasty stuff happen to people at 10 mph when the bike slid out on sand. Shorts and flip flops (down the shore).
If I was you, I would buy a bicycle.

I used to ride my Triumph to work every day till I got enough tickets and lost my licence, then I rode a bicycle 10 miles one way for 6 months, while working at the factory (actual WORK).
I was never in better shape.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
Rusty the Scoob
Commuter
 
Rusty the Scoob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Waltham, MA
Oddometer: 289
Personally I don't see a big difference in the danger level between going 20 mph on a bicycle or 30 mph on a motorcycle. Yet NOTGATT is looked at as no big deal on a pedal bike.

About the cop who died in a funeral procession - I'm guessing he didn't die of road rash...
__________________
My GD tribute band: www.fennario.us
Rusty the Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
blk-betty
bam-a-lam
 
blk-betty's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty the Scoob View Post
Personally I don't see a big difference in the danger level between going 20 mph on a bicycle or 30 mph on a motorcycle. Yet NOTGATT is looked at as no big deal on a pedal bike.

About the cop who died in a funeral procession - I'm guessing he didn't die of road rash...
Exactly.

The problem with ATGATT is the time and effort it takes, not to mention the heat (95 here today), to change into long pants, boots, gloves, textile jacket, full face helmet...just to make a 5 mintue (2 mile round trip) ride to the grocery store to pick up an item or 2 when I'm lounging around the house in shorts and flip-flops.

I'm not ATGATT. I'm a former HD, no helmet, no jacket, no gloves rider, although I am converting and have been wearing a half helmet on the HD for the last 7 years and now a full face helmet with more gear on the Tiger 1050.

But putting on all the stuff just for a short ride makes me question if I even want to take the bike....it's a lot easier to just hop in the car or ride with no gear.

I've thought of posting a poll....asking who is really 100% ATGATT with emphasis on ALL the gear and ALL the time.

I'm guessing very few of us are truly 100% ATGATT and more likely MTGMTT.
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
Autocracy
KLR = Trials bike?
 
Autocracy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Redwood City, CA
Oddometer: 534
Every now and then I cheat it on local rides. 2 miles to work? Cheated today for the first time this season. I spent the whole weekend riding in hot weather down to DC and back up with my Aerostich. I needed a bit of a break... gloves, helmet, boots today. Sometimes I'll take a riding jacket with no pants instead of the 'stich. Tomorrow I'll be wearing the 'stich again (I always visualize somebody not paying attention since most of my trip is 4 lane road).

I'm still ATGATT when I leave town, but sometimes you just don't want to feel like you spend more time suiting up and down than riding. Risk / reward, and I do it. I spent the day feeling guilty about it. Sometime next month, I'll do it again anyway.
__________________
Only have a Concours 14 after riding to California from Maine. Need to find a place to ride with knobbies. Need to get a bike with knobbies.

SIG: HUP
Autocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:24 PM   #11
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,370
The only things I ever require is long pants and a helmet.
Jacket only if its cold out.
90% of the time I can just hop on the bike.
When its HOT out, I have to put jeans on instead of shorts, i never ride in shorts.
On long rides I add sunblock.
30 years and I have not been down on the street, all that wearing the gear would have got old a long time ago.

On my last ride, I was enjoying a cold one at Fran's pub when a couple rolled up with 50 pounds of gear on, 90F 90% humidity, I felt sorry for them.

Guys who push it, new guys, rides on bad roads should all wear the gear I suppose.


Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Exactly.

The problem with ATGATT is the time and effort it takes, not to mention the heat (95 here today), to change into long pants, boots, gloves, textile jacket, full face helmet...just to make a 5 mintue (2 mile round trip) ride to the grocery store to pick up an item or 2 when I'm lounging around the house in shorts and flip-flops.

I'm not ATGATT. I'm a former HD, no helmet, no jacket, no gloves rider, although I am converting and have been wearing a half helmet on the HD for the last 7 years and now a full face helmet with more gear on the Tiger 1050.

But putting on all the stuff just for a short ride makes me question if I even want to take the bike....it's a lot easier to just hop in the car or ride with no gear.

I've thought of posting a poll....asking who is really 100% ATGATT with emphasis on ALL the gear and ALL the time.

I'm guessing very few of us are truly 100% ATGATT and more likely MTGMTT.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,370
The weight is the big difference.
400 to 500 pounds VS 20 pounds.
You can hop off and/or stop the bike with your feet, not so a 500 pound motorcycle.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty the Scoob View Post
Personally I don't see a big difference in the danger level between going 20 mph on a bicycle or 30 mph on a motorcycle. Yet NOTGATT is looked at as no big deal on a pedal bike.

About the cop who died in a funeral procession - I'm guessing he didn't die of road rash...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:39 AM   #13
Terrytori
Namaste
 
Terrytori's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Halifax Nova Scotia
Oddometer: 1,827
Life is nothing if not a big Craps table.
We choose if and when we toss the dice or perhaps
we elect not to throw them at all.

It is my opinion that those who never pick up those cubes
are often, as Henry David Thoreau described, leading lives
of quiet desperation.

If you're going to back off the gear by degree, enjoy thoroughly
the experience of doing so. Be conscious of the joy of feeling
the warm breezes and the general lightness of being as you move
from place to place.

Otherwise... why bother.
__________________
2013 Ninja 300 ABS, '11 883 Iron ( kicked to 1200), 2013 KTM 690 Duke

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:52 AM   #14
rivercreep
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: S.E. Pennsylvania (Reading)
Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I have seen some nasty stuff happen to people at 10 mph when the bike slid out on sand. Shorts and flip flops (down the shore).
If I was you, I would buy a bicycle.

I used to ride my Triumph to work every day till I got enough tickets and lost my licence, then I rode a bicycle 10 miles one way for 6 months, while working at the factory (actual WORK).
I was never in better shape.

That's funny!
F.W.I.W. I've had concussions, a broken toe, and pretty severe road-rash while riding a BMX 24inch Hutch Cruiser as a kid and absolutely NOTHING as severe has ever happend to me on a motorcycle.

We Humans have this marvelous thing called "Free Will".
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #15
NJ-Brett
Brett
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Oddometer: 6,370
I have a long list of injuries mostly from dirt bike riding.
Never had anything serious happen on a bicycle, despite doing a lot of riding on one, although never in the city. Fell plenty off road, never got hurt.

Been down twice on the street in the rain and drunk, not hurt except a little road rash that did not stop me from working, etc.
Both times on Triumphs.

I have never owned gear except a helmet, cold weather garb not included.
I have been thinking about some sort of light weight jacket, but the stores around me have a limited selection, big heavy stuff with goofy designs on it and so on.
Maybe not wearing gear makes you cautious.
I know what is waiting for me if I screw up, so I don't.




Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
That's funny!
F.W.I.W. I've had concussions, a broken toe, and pretty severe road-rash while riding a BMX 24inch Hutch Cruiser as a kid and absolutely NOTHING as severe has ever happend to me on a motorcycle.

We Humans have this marvelous thing called "Free Will".
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014