Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2011, 04:29 AM   #1
Bruce Caldwell OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,016
Anybody Mounted A Pelican Top Box On F650GS ?

My 81 year old dad just picked up his new F650 twin yesterday & it's my job to figure out how to mount a Pelican on it. I believe we got the model # 1500. Anyway, I figured i'd have a sheet metal place near me cut me a 10 ga. aluminum plate to mount the box on similar to what I did years ago on my 1100GS although it's not as straight forward as mounting the plate on his bike as it was on my bike. If anyone has done something similar i'd like to see pics. thanks

Guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the place where the guy with the horns & pointed stick conducts his business...Frank Zappa
Bruce Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
Captain Beardylocks
travelling beardo

Oddometer: 7,341
easily removable, or semi-permanent? if you're going for something super simple, I think the backing plate with four bolts going down into the mounting points on the tail should work fine. you'd need spacers though
Old 06-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Try Caribou Cases, they make a luggage rack and a very good mounting solution for pelicans. My wife got their 34l case for her 650 twin. The 34l is not a pelican, but all their other cases are. The 34l fits her helmet. Very robust, high quality stuff, and for a good price.

Ryan
Old 06-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Here's what I did on my F800, mounted to a Touratech rack, though I'm betting that any kind of backing plate would do. You'd have to source the rear spacers somewhere.

Rubber washers sandwiched in between the fender washers keep it waterproof. Takes about 30 secs to unbolt for when I want to strap on a duffel, tent, etc. I got the lock from Roger at Caribou to match the locks on my Caribou 36L panniers. I didn't want a larger topbox. Too much weight back there is a bad idea.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly

WoodWorks screwed with this post 06-01-2011 at 09:11 AM
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
Here's what I did on my F800, mounted to a Touratech rack, though I'm betting that any kind of backing plate would do. You'd have to source the rear spacers somewhere.

Rubber washers sandwiched in between the fender washers keep it waterproof. Takes about 30 secs to unbolt for when I want to strap on a duffel, tent, etc. I got the lock from Roger at Caribou to match the locks on my Caribou 36L panniers. I didn't want a larger topbox. Too much weight back there is a bad idea.

What size pelican box is that? I've been wanting to do the same on my rack but havn't decided on a size quite yet.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
What size pelican box is that? I've been wanting to do the same on my rack but havn't decided on a size quite yet.
It's their iM2200. It used to the Hardigg iM2200, but they got bought out by Pelican. I keep all of my tire changing tools in there, as well as a small pump, chain lube, and a few other odds and ends. But it will hold all that AND a 1.75l bottle of Bombay Sapphire.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
Bruce Caldwell OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,016
I was just going to go the semi permanent route because even though the top case on my dad's previous bike (1200GS) was quickly removable, he never took it off anyway. Although the Caribou system does look interesting. But he got the Pelican for around $90 & I got to looking around in my shop & i've got some alum. plate that will probably work & plenty of spacer material. He already spent a good chunk of change on some Givi side cases so we're trying to save some money.

Guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the place where the guy with the horns & pointed stick conducts his business...Frank Zappa
Bruce Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
Captain Beardylocks
travelling beardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Caldwell View Post
I was just going to go the semi permanent route because even though the top case on my dad's previous bike (1200GS) was quickly removable, he never took it off anyway. Although the Caribou system does look interesting. But he got the Pelican for around $90 & I got to looking around in my shop & i've got some alum. plate that will probably work & plenty of spacer material. He already spent a good chunk of change on some Givi side cases so we're trying to save some money.
I'd bust out some spacers on the lathe, cut the backing plate and keep it cheap. I think the bolts are M8's, but I'd check on that first. throw a blob of silicone around the holes in the pelican to keep stuff dry and call it a day
Old 06-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
Captain Beardylocks
travelling beardo

yup, M8 bolts. somewhere around 55 - 60 mm depending on the length of the spacers