User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
SuperCruise OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Around Australia, Super Tenere style

Just got back from a 57 day, 21254 km (13210 mile) trip around Australia on motorcycles with my father and son. I rode a XT1200Z Super Tenere, my father a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 cruiser and my son a Suzuki GSX650FU LAMS sports tourer. Due to the types of bikes my father and son were riding, the trip was done predominantly on sealed roads. We camped for about half of the trip when in warmer climates and stayed in motels or with family/friends along the way for the rest of it.

We started out from Canberra, crossed to Batemans Bay then went clockwise around Australia until we ended up back at Batemans Bay and then Canberra. We also made a bit of a detour from Tennant Creek down to Ayers Rock. Highlights of the route from a riding perspective were the fang on the Great Ocean Road with great weather and virtually no traffic, the fantastic scenery of the Kimberley and a perfect run up the Oxley Highway toward Walcha.

My Super Tenere turned out to be a great bike to take on such a journey. It was very comfortable to ride, with the adjustable windshield bracket allowing smooth airflow, Rostra electronic cruise control taking care of long constant-speed cruises, grip puppies to minimise vibrations, heated grips for those cold mornings and an Airhawk seat cushion to eliminate monkey butt.

The gear I carried made the bike quite bulky, but once going it had minimal impact on handling and performance, even in the twisties. The Yamaha luggage system worked out very well, being reasonably spacious, weather proof and easy to put on and off the bike. I accidentally toppled the bike to the right side one time while getting on the bike and the Yamaha crash bars did a great job of minimising damage to just a few small scuffs on the handgrip covers, the right side case base and a dent in my pride.

As my son is on his provisional licence, we kept at the speed limit in each state, which was generally 100 kph on the east coast, 110 kph in the west and 130 kph (81 mph) in the Northern Territory. We travelled in a clockwise direction to optimise temperature and rain probability but this meant we encountered headwinds about 95% of the time. Nonetheless, the Super Tenere did pretty well on fuel, averaging 5.4 l/100 kms (43.5 US MPG, 52.3 Imperial MPG) overall for the trip. On two occasions I had to refuel with standard unleaded as premium unleaded was not available and that didn’t cause any problems at all with the bike.

Maintenance-wise, the Super Tenere was pretty low effort for the trip. As I had changed the spark plugs and final drive oil just before heading off, maintenance for the trip just came down to oil/oil filter and tyre changes, the former that I did myself. The higher speeds and straight roads of the north of Australia took their toll on my rear tyre (Metzeler Tourance Exp) with me only getting10 000 kms out of the tyre I changed in Perth. The front tyre lasted the entire trip and now has 28 000 kms on it, but I will change it soon as it started getting out of shape about 3000 kms ago.

Reliability-wise I only had two issues. The first was the failure of my Oxford heated grip controller about a third of the way into the trip after a brief but solid downpour. Not a showstopper at all for this trip but something I need to get fixed before I start riding again to work on cold Canberra winter mornings. The other was the rear suspension adjustor knob rounding off about two thirds of the way through the trip, again not a big deal. Otherwise, the bike ran and performed like a champion for the entire trip.

Anyway, the trip was a fantastic experience, especially being able to share it amongst three generations of my family. Here are a few pictures from the trip:

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:57 AM   #2
SuperCruise OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The start point on the coast: Batemans Bay

Our first night camping, in Eden.

Crossing into Victoria on Day 2.

I'm such a Yamawhore!

We had to drop into Phillip Island to pay our respects.

Start of the Great Ocean Road.
The cast of this trip: my son, Cameron, me, Gary and my father Bill.

"Refuelling" at Warrnambool

A wet rest Day in Adelaide.

Taking in the sights at Elliston, on the way to Ceduna.

Setting out across the Nullarbor.

$14 for a hamburger at Nullarbor. At least it was a good 'un.

Posing at the Old Telegraph Station, Eucla.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:03 AM   #3
SuperCruise OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Flyby on the 90 mile straight.

Met some fellow bikers at Balladonia.

The Old Railway Hotel in Norseman. Very basic but also very cheap!

The scenic loop ride at Esperance.

Stirling Ranges, on the way into Albany.

SuperCruise screwed with this post 06-06-2011 at 03:39 AM
Old 06-06-2011, 02:07 AM   #4
SuperCruise OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Keeping in touch at Pemberton

Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse

Where the Margaret River meets the sea.

Wine tasting in the Margaret River region, of course!

Mr Whippy takes holidays too, this time at Augusta.

The Bussleton Jetty.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:13 AM   #5
SuperCruise OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Met up with fellow Super Tenere riders in Perth: me, Gordon and Greg of Waspworks fame.

Camping at the Perth Vineyards.

Strong winds south of Geraldton make trees grow like this.

The beautiful rugged coastline near Kalbarri.

Shell Beach on the way to Shark Bay.

Monkey Mia, with no dolphins to be seen!

Soggy camping at Carnarvon. 40 mm dumped in just a few hours.

Enhanced bike stand for the Super Tenere in wet conditions.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:20 AM   #6
SuperCruise OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The GSX650F fell over in the heavy rain and this is where we reparked it at 2am. Fortunately, no damage done.

Another Yamaha fan. Who uses phone boxes nowadays, really?

Termite mound on the way to Exmouth.

Overnight stop at Pardoo Roadhouse, between Port Hedland and Broome.

One of the longest legs on the trip between fuel stops. Bonus headwinds too, but it was no problem for the Super Tanker.

Topping up with water on the way to Broome. These were the warmest conditions for the trip, with days getting up to 36C.

Look how much fuel the Super Tenere takes to fill. OK, maybe it was someone with a couple of 44 gallon drums before me.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:32 AM   #7
McGoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCruise;16094315
Flinders Ranges

[IMG
http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx82/kawabungaoz/3-Gen%20Lap%20of%20Oz%202011/3GenOzLap_088.jpg[/IMG]
Assuming these photos are in order, you might find that these are the Porongorups, not the Flinders. Flinders are South Australia.

Great RR, very jealous of your trip!
McGoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:37 AM   #8
SuperCruise OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGoo View Post
Assuming these photos are in order, you might find that these are the Porongorups, not the Flinders. Flinders are South Australia.

Great RR, very jealous of your trip!
You are correct, they are not the Flinders Ranges. They are in fact the Stirling Ranges, on our way into Albany from Esperance on the scenic route. I'll amend my post. Thanks.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:17 AM   #9
Stackator
F800GS goodness

Oddometer: 1,343
Awesome ride report.....loved it!

Totally jealous that i am yet to do it too

Refresher for the Australian forum: http://www.deakin.edu.au/current-stu...outs/apost.php
Stackator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:36 AM   #10
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,101
I'm planning out a similar ride. Thanks for posting. I'm thinking about heading up to Uluru from the south. Also wanting to head through the Snowy River range.
04 KTM 950 ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '08 KTM 450 XCR-W,
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
sinned
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post
I'm planning out a similar ride. Thanks for posting. I'm thinking about heading up to Uluru from the south. Also wanting to head through the Snowy River range.
Any firm plans and dates yet? Not sure if company is your thing, but I'm looking to do similar too.
Kiwi ADVenturer inmate Dr, Paramedic, NP, (ex)firefighter exploring life via the ADVenturous 2 wheeled route. It's not the destination but the journey & choices made therein; that determines the measure of ones legacy. Don't sweat the small stuff, life happens while we're not looking. Hug those around you who have a place & meaning in your life, for it may not come again.
sinned is offline   Reply With Quote