User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,716
Aprilia Sport City 250 review

I've had my Aprilia for a month now and ridden a little over 1100 miles on it. I thought I would do a review of the scooter.

First, I'll answer the question that so many in the battle scooter section are preoccupied with:

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Thank you for answering that...so 90 indicated suggests about 83 or so true speed.

Tell us about the other aspects of the bike...handling, fuel economy, ergonomics, storage, etc...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoe4 View Post
Thank you for answering that...so 90 indicated suggests about 83 or so true speed.

Tell us about the other aspects of the bike...handling, fuel economy, ergonomics, storage, etc...

Since you asked

Someone on the Aprilia forum posted a GPS speed of 82.

Gas mileage has varied from 72 to 83 MPG, about the same as my Super 8

Underseat storage isn't quite big enough for a full face helmet, but the GIVI tail trunk will hold two. Here's a pic.

Oh Yeah, the little insulated cooler hanging from the hook will hold three bottles of water.

klaviator screwed with this post 06-07-2011 at 09:23 AM
Old 06-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Handling is pretty good but much different from my Super 8. I'm not really used to it yet. Let me try to explain. The same thing happened years ago when I went from an EX500 to a SV650. I think that the main difference in handling is due to the wide, round profile tires on the Aprilia. The Kymco has fairly wide tires but they have a triagular profile - that makes them feel like narrower tires. The Kymco has very light and fast steering - it just snaps in corners and is always neutral. It feels like a little race bike. The aprilia has wide, round profile tires. It rolls over on its round tires in curves and is more affected by bumps in corners and braking in corners. Mainly, it just feels different The Aprilia also has a softer suspension making it feel much more plush but also not quite as well planted in fast bumpy curves.

The triple disc brakes work great. I doubt you'll find a scooter with better brakes. I also like the fact that the brakes are not linked. I HATE linked brakes.

I had a great ride in the North Georgia mountains and even spent some time riding with some 650-1200cc motorcyles. My ride report is here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694932

Overall, it works really well on the types of roads I like to ride.

klaviator screwed with this post 06-07-2011 at 09:23 AM
Old 06-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Comfort and ergonomics:

The seat is real comfortable, both for me and my wife as a passenger. The ergonomics felt great on the test ride but on a longer ride my back starts to bother me. The riding position is similar to my Super 8 but I think my feet are a little further forward and the seat isn't sloped forward like my Super 8. i think that these two thing are what is causing my back pain. If I don't get used to it I may try modifying the seat.

There isn't much wind protection so I'll probably add a small windscreen. Piug make a couple that look great.

My wife and I spent a weekend riding in the North Carolina Mountains. We had a blast. She was very comfortable on the back until the very end of the second day when her tailbone started to hurt. The passenger pegs are pretty far forward putting more weight on her tailbone.

Here's a pic of us two up:

I've got a lot more pics and a full ride report of that trip here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693143

Old 06-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 992
How are the rear shocks? I read a test by MCN a few years ago that indicated the damping was weak. Your experience seems to indicate otherwise.
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
middyjams
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Sportcity 250 emissions question

Hi..I wanted to see if the sportcity 250 ie-2008 model meet emission standards for all 50 states. I live in California where they have some different rules when you buy a used vehicle. It needs to have 7500 miles or have the emissions tag show that it's 50 state emission tested.

Anyone know the answer? It should be on your emissions sticker on the bike.

Thanks!
middyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:20 AM   #8
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by middyjams View Post
Hi..I wanted to see if the sportcity 250 ie-2008 model meet emission standards for all 50 states. I live in California where they have some different rules when you buy a used vehicle. It needs to have 7500 miles or have the emissions tag show that it's 50 state emission tested.

Anyone know the answer? It should be on your emissions sticker on the bike.

Thanks!
I have an 09 so I can't answer your question. Try the Aprilia Forum: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=24

Old 12-14-2011, 03:33 AM   #9
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by middyjams View Post
Hi..I wanted to see if the sportcity 250 ie-2008 model meet emission standards for all 50 states.
Thanks!
I'd be very surprised if it doesn't, considering it's the most common Piaggio engine used today.
You'll find it in the Vespa, Piaggio BV/Beverly, X7, X8, X9, Carnaby, MP3, Aprilia Scarabeo, Atlantic,
Derbi Rambla, GP1 and probably a few others.

If any of those meet the CAL regulations/laws, I'm guessing they all do.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #10
PinkSteel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
[QUOTE=Cortez;17512970]I'd be very surprised if it doesn't, considering it's the most common Piaggio engine used today.
You'll find it in the Vespa, Piaggio BV/Beverly, X7, X8, X9, Carnaby, MP3, Aprilia Scarabeo, Atlantic,
Derbi Rambla, GP1 and probably a few others.

If it hasn't been mentioned, that engine is an efficient, smooth-running workhorse....
PinkSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #11
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
I LOVE my new Sportcity 250!!!!

I have been riding for 23 years and between many purchases and 2 jobs with busy motorcycle dealerships I have ridden just about everything.

I only have around 1,500 miles on her so far (2 weeks old), but this has to be one of my all time favorite vehicles and is by a mile my favorite scooter!

Storage is very small, the ride has some bumps but the handling is superb. I personally wouldn't change the read suspension dampening / rebound in the least. I weigh around 170 LBS and rarely have more then 10 LBS extra with me.

I have been a fan of the 250 Quasar engine for some time, but by marrying it to such a stiff chassis it is a dream of a scooter. Handling is truly top notch. I'm not comparing it to a Burgman 650 which can't take a corner on a good day, but comparing it to a BMW S1000RR. Heck no it won't go 200MPH like my S1000RR can and has, but in it's performance envelope of approximately 80 MPH it is the easiest bike to go fast on I have ever ridden.

Front brake bite is just right to me though the rear is anemic and lacks feedback. Big deal as the front is what counts if your trying to slow down, still though, I may investigate how to improve the rear skidder.

The seating position is a little hard on my knees but nothing reworking the seat can't fix.

The instruments kinda suck for blind people such as me, why Piaggio group couldn't print a label with big MPH numbers for the USA market is a mystery.

I haven't taken it apart yet and am still in training for Piaggio as master BMW / Volvo / Ford tech doesn't fully prepare one for how Italy likes to do things, but will certainly dig in soon and have seen the internals of the Quasar 250 up close and personal which is one of the reasons I really like that engine.

I am surprised more of these haven't sold in the USA but being very few dealers offer test-rides, I guess there is little opportunity for people to find out just what a gem this bike is.

If anyone with an SC250 wants to go for a ride within 300 miles of St. Louis, count me in :)
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
I thought this thread could use some more photos of my favorite kind...

She is home, literally.
DSC_0373

Radiator cover removed. Notice, the tank at top is a REAL expansion tank, not a catch tank like many scooters use. This means what you see is what you get. If the expansion tank is full then the radiator is full which is unlike bikes with catch tanks where the tank can be full as the radiator is dry and engine melts down. This is a serious plus in my book.
DSC_0377

You have to remove the seat to remove the panel right behind your legs. No big deal, 4 10mm nuts, though I don't recall a 10mm nut driver in the tool kit so this is the first tool I would fortify the tool kit with.
DSC_0384

Once the seat and cover right behind your legs can be removed to get at the spark plug and whatnot. Just wiggle the last cover and it comes off.
DSC_0428

cover with glove box removed. A lot going on up here, amongst other things, behind this cover is where most of the relays are.
DSC_0396

Down a little further from the brown relay in the last picture and on the forward side is 3 more relays.
DSC_0395

The other side is not quite as busy but contains all of your main cooling hoses.
DSC_0397

Looking down, you can see that this is a STOUT chassis! This would by why the SC250 holds a nice line when other bikes wiggle. The thing on the left with all the fins is the voltage regulator. That which is rattling around in my battery box is a LiFePO4 battery that is not stock. It weighs 1/4 the stock lead acid job, is fine for a year of sitting without being connected to a charger, and has more CCA. It is the first upgrade I make to any bike. This particular one is made by AntiGravity and has proven way better then Shorai branded LiFePO4 batteries
DSC_0400

Do you think the zip tie holds the chassis welds together haha, because it is not holding anything else
DSC_0402

Left side, floor and under fairing removed.
DSC_0404

Naked handle bars and forward view of heavy frame that will accept a windshield. This is important as wiggly frames add to windshield buffeting.
DSC_0407

Nuts for adjusting the head set, very heavy duty.
DSC_0416

Rear of handle bars.
DSC_0423

Possibly the worlds longest throttle tube, throttle pulley integrated into front brake master cylinder mounting. Italian engineers have even more time on their hands then German engineers.
DSC_0424

The full range of hose clamps but all high quality. I am NOT a fan of screw drive hose clamps but they are higher quality units and will please the no tool crowd.
DSC_0425
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #13
PascalM3M5
PascalM3M5

Oddometer: 25
aprilia sportcitty! Finaly i have one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I've had my Aprilia for a month now and ridden a little over 1100 miles on it. I thought I would do a review of the scooter.

First, I'll answer the question that so many in the battle scooter section are preoccupied with:

Its a fantastic scooter and i am glad i am not alone who experience this pleasure.
PascalM3M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:46 AM   #14
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Great! You're gonna love it.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #15
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Went over 21K on mine this weekend.