User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
Cheryl & Leslie's Triumph Tiger 800XC ADV to Alaska

DAY 1 ON the road POST 131 (ALL PICS CAN BE CLICKED ON FOR BIGGA VERSIONS)
Our AMATEUR TIGER review Post 304
FINAL TIGER REVIEW AND GEAR REVIEWS CAN BE FOUND HERE
POST 776
BMW pick up DAY found here BMW PICK UP, post 867
If you don't feel like reading the RR go to PICTURES ONLY CLICK HERE

This will be our thread for our first attempt at a LIVE report from the road when we leave from the Vancouver area of BC, Canada and head up to the Yukon, NWT, Alaska and back home. Around 42-45 days, hitting destinations like Inuvik, NWT and Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. Lot's in between!
June 29th, 2011 departure date!

Create a Free Trip Map on Travellerspoint. Embed a Map of Your Travels on your Blog.

My partner is Cheryl aka cags...I, Leslie will be typing in ORANGE and Cheryl/aka cags will be BLUE

We are honored and privileged to be able to ride two of the brand newly released 2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC w/ABS bikes on this adventure. Triumph Canada is loaning us the bikes loaded with Triumph farkles and Western Powersports in Langley, BC is the dealer sponsor for this trip and put this all together! But we are responsible for all consumable expenses. Just wanted to make that clear in the beginning and the bikes will be given back to Triumph Canada at the end of this adventure.

TRIUMPH CANADA

WESTERN POWERSPORTS

We leave June 29th, 2011 so stay tuned to this thread and we will be adding more info such as our intros to who were are etc. Just wanted to get this out there while we are still in the prep stages.

If interested we have a Facebook page too!

CHERYL & LESLIE'S TRIUMPH TIGER 800 XC ADV

One more thing, PLEASE take a look at our BLOG for other causes and another reason for this ride. Some things are just not allowed in this ride report. Thank you!

OUR ADVGRRLS BLOG

Hope many of you will come along for the ride with us....2 women who just love to ADV ride!

soph9 screwed with this post 09-22-2011 at 05:49 PM
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

17 days and counting

The 2 White Crystal Tiger's arrived Western Powersports on Friday, June 10th, 2011 and are awaiting their build but we got to see them....

Looking good aren't they? We have owned many bikes and even though these are on loan we have never been able to get to see them in their box. Kinda exciting in a way.

Hopefully Desi the manager at Western will be able to take some shots of the build either Tuesday or Wednesday because we are still piling on the work load to ensure we get all this time off from work. So, Cheryl and I are thinking maybe we need to really start taking inventory of all our gear, get it down from the loft and make sure everything works and smells nice. We will be camping as much as we can on this trip to save money and we also like to camp in general.

We are so ready to just get on the road and go. We believe the official "launch" will actually be at the dealer but we will have our own little send off from our home too.

While we are going to do our best to keep this live and post pics etc...if there are any questions about the bikes or what we are up to please post and we will try to answer as best as we can. This is new to us the whole LIVE thing but we have seen it work with other reports and both of us will do our everything we can to keep this up to date.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #3
kildala2000
The GS Store.

Oddometer: 2,039
Thumb Ride safe.

Hey soph9,
Can't wait to follow this story. You'll be on a amazing Adventure for a Great cause. I'll be out of the country from June 17th till July 21st but if your up my way before or after those dates please let me know.
Ride Safe and stay in touch,
Rick
kildala2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Pre Trip Camping Gear inspection!

Inventory done, checked out gear and all looks like it is in working order! We don’t have many weekends off together before we leave so today was a productive day.
BEER

Getting camping stuff down from the loft

Mutha Hubba Tent

Most of the camping gear we are taking

soph9 screwed with this post 06-13-2011 at 03:19 AM
Old 06-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
MamaKathy
n00b

Oddometer: 9
What brand are the sleeping bags, what are their temp ratings, and how easy do the stuff back into the bag?

Pack more beer

http://kathleenmanz.wordpress.com/
MamaKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Cheryl has a Sierra Design bag and I have a Caribou. Both are 3 seasons and pack really small....

Beer gets packed in each night
Old 06-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
Makalu
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,826
Makalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
Gregarious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Looking forward to the live reports.

My only feedback: link your videos in the post so they don't start automatically. I'm not sure how to do this for Vimeo, but I'm guessing there is some parameter in the URL to dictate whether the video starts playing automatically or waits for user input to start. Otherwise every time someone refreshes the page (or submits a response, or goes back a page, etc.), the video kicks off again. If you happen to have 2 videos that show up on a single page, they'd be stepping over each other.

Best of luck!

-Greg
Old 06-29-2011, 11:25 PM   #9
Mxpygmy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
It will be fun to follow along from West Seattle.
Want to go to Bella Coola in early September, so I'll watch posts with personal intent.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:29 AM   #10
OldMedic
Trouble Maker

Oddometer: 57
If you need anything in and round Grande Prairie, let me know.

We just got back from our Alaska trip (today in fact) and would love to share some info regarding points north and west.

BTW, the Best Westren in Hinton has a great Hot Tub.....

Later....OldMedic

Sick and Stupid people keep me employed
OldMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
opaque_machete
girls wanna have fun

Oddometer: 630
Absolutely beautiful pictures! I am in awe of the countryside around you. We don't see many snow-tipped mountains around here. Just easy sloping dual sport mountains. Ride safe and take lots of pics. Especially the new road you will be taking!

Happy Canada Day!
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. -George Carlin
Two Wheel Females.com
opaque_machete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #12
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Rocky mountain high - 520.8 km

Routes 1 - 93 - 16

Before we forget from last night before bedtime, once again Cheryl showing me how to pack things away the right way. In this case our stools.

and what better view of our bike then from inside our tent

Early start this morning at 0500. Wanted to get the camp broken down before the rain started. During our delicious breakfast of peanut butter and raisin oatmeal in a bag

we had a visit from a very cheeky chipmunk.

Cheeky Chipmunk

Reorganized our stuff and and packed up by 0700 and off we were towards Hinton, BC not before we had a chance to meet a little family of ducks at the campground.

First pit stop was Rogers Pass in very cold (6 degrees Celsius) rainy weather. We managed to stay dry and warm wearing our KLIM gear and Gerbring heated liner and gloves. Heated grips would have been nice, but OH well…they were not installed.

Heading towards Banff National Park there were so man views to die for. We have been through this area many times before but not at this time of year. As a matter of fact we were here last year in August. The snow and cool temperature changes while riding were impressive and so were the mountains. Most of the day there were many low clouds that allowed to get a peak or two at the summits. Just an amazing area for any rider to visit.

We will just let the pictures speak for themselves!

Banff and Jasper National Parks were full of no surprises. Beautiful views, crazy outrageous weather and really nice roads to ride. One thing too many cars!

In Banff National Park this is how cold it was…

Seriously we could have stopped every mile and just took pictures. Breath taking and the smells of the forest were amazing. So much cedar. No real wildlife yet. Just a cute deer but that is not a bad thing, less things to worry about hitting.

The Famous Columbia Ice fields – Glaciers and tacky tourists can even take a bus tour on to the glacier!

We cruised through Jasper wanting to get to Hinton. Tomorrow is a BIG day. Last year on the last few days of our cross country trip we came through Hinton on our way to Clearwater, BC. There is the turn off for the scenic Alaska Highway right outside Hinton. Last year in August we were tempted to turn right after 4 weeks on the road and head to Alaska and not go back to work. Well, this year we are back and will be turning and making that right to head NORTH to explore territory that neither one of has ever been. The real ADVENTURE truly begins July 1st, 2011 Canada Day!

HAPPY CANADA DAY EVERYONE TOMORROW!

soph9 screwed with this post 07-01-2011 at 05:57 AM
Old 06-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #13
Operator7G
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I am so jealous of where you live! What breathtaking scenery, and this is just Day 1! I keep your SpotWalla page in the background throughout the day, so I can at least pretend that I'm riding through all that beautiful countryside instead of sitting in my office with no windows. Looking forward to the rest of the trip.
Operator7G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:53 AM   #14
giodog2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Go girlzzzzz!!!!

2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2009 KTM 530 XC-W
giodog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #15
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Sunny, Windy North - 423.7 KM

Hinton, Alberta to Dawson Creek, BC

We took it easy last night and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Hinton. It was supposed to rain and it did. Plus, we wanted to load up a lot of pictures. Besides this is our hard earned holiday isn’t it?

Had a nice warm breakfast and headed to route 40 from the hotel. But before we actually got too far we needed to make a pit stop at the local Hinton Canadian Tire so Cheryl could go McGyver trying to figure out how to secure our GPS to her bike. We did not get the bikes soon enough to hard wire the GPS and me (Leslie) did not know the mount we had for the GPS was not a 1 inch ball. It is 1/2 so I bought the wrong attachment.
In any case of course Cheryl figured out how to secure the GPS using indoor outdoor thick double sided tape and electrical tape. This is now what her set up looks like and she LOVES it.

Weather was mostly sunny today but the cross winds were at times almost hurtful and I literally mean felt like we were being punched! After driving away from Hinton it was really cool to be able to make that right up Rt 40 to start our trek to Alaska. As I posted before we were in Hinton last year and had to pass by this sign to head home.

Our first pit stop was at Grand Cache, Alberta for some fuel and a quick poke around the visitor centre.

Some displays of the local wildlife.

Next stop was in Grand Prairie, Alberta where we filled up with some fuel and did a quick clean and lube of our chains. The dealer used wax on the chains. What a job to get that off and just use lube.

Just an observation about the Tiger’s center kickstand. Either the design is wrong or we are just stupid? On our Beemers we can easily lift our bikes without having to have help from the other. This bike NO WAY. It is weird and no matter what we do both of us can not get the bikes up on the stand by ourselves. Also, Triumph needs to add stronger springs, we even have a little bungee cord trying to keep the stands from smacking the underside of the bike. The bikes are great and I will try to do a post on the bad and the good as soon as I can. it’s the little things that make us scratch our heads.

Back on the road towards Dawson Creek and couldn’t pass by THIS character who was beckoning to us from the side of the road in Beaverlodge.

This is the sky for most of the day….very puffy eh?

How funny is this..we left BC on June 29th, lost an hour of time heading into Alberta and returned to BC today and gained the hour lost.

Last stop for the day is Dawson Creek where we are currently posting this update from.

A big thank you to Auntie Marilynne and Uncle Fred for their wonderful hospitality!

We will be spending tomorrow here in Dawson Creek and leaving for Fort Nelson on Sunday morning. Love Leslie’s helmet hair?

Next post will be????????? Hopefully when we get to Fort Nelson. This is where the real adventure begins and we are having fun talking with Cheryl’s family in Dawson Creek about what we might expect. Lot’s of things to watch out for and things to see. On thing is for sure the weather either makes or breaks this type of trip. Everyone send good vibes for weather we can deal with….we do not want anything to extreme. For now…..Cheers until next time.