User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 439
New project GR650

Okay...been ten years without a bike. Made my wife nervous when I arrived at my destination about a second and a half ahead of my bike. (Whoops.) Sold the bike while the kids were little and amused myself with an old Miata.

A friend I hadn't seen for awhile mentioned that he had what he thought was a DR650 in his barn that I could have. Sounded great to me. Turned out to be somewhat different.

The Suzuki GR 650 was only offered for sale in the U.S for two years. Has some interesting features, but it never caught on. Cycle World named it the "best buy of 1983" but that didn't save it. Was sold until '89 in Canada and Europe.

After a series of delays, I went today to get it. Four hours away in north central Ohio. Not a great start to the day.

Saw a few guys on I-70 getting a bit more adventure than seemed fun.

But I persevered and snapped a few shots while gassing up to head for home.

radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Sorry about the blue pictures. It was pretty overcast all day (when it wasn't actively raining) and I was using a new camera. Didn't get the white balance right.

PO told me that his BIL bought the bike new in '83 and had been hit by a car at some point. The brake pedal is bent in toward the engine case and the front fender has a bend it it.

After my friend got it his son dropped it. Broke the turn signals on the left side and bent the headlight bracket.

Had the carbs cleaned last fall and it ran great until dropped. It was pushed into the barn and left there in September and hasn't been started since. Likely I need to do the carbs again.

Lots more pictures to follow tomorrow. Too late to dig in tonight.

Oh yeah, look closely at the back rest. That is not stock and it ain't coming off easily. PPO welded it onto the grab bar. It may give some HD fans heartburn to see it on this old child of the Orient. Proudly labeled as a gen-u-wine HD backrest.

More to follow as I work to get this '83 largely forgotten Suzuki back on the road. I will add that whoever designed the handlebars on this bike should be banned from designing anything. Ever.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,001
Looks like a real throwback with the backrest. It seems in pretty good shape though and the price is right. Keep us posted.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Looks like a real throwback with the backrest. It seems in pretty good shape though and the price is right. Keep us posted.
Will do. I think the chrome is in generally decent shape. Paint is really faded and I'll likely have to repaint it at some point.

First comes the getting it running part.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

She runs! But mostly at idle only. Try to rev it much and it wants to die pretty quickly.

But, oh does it sound sweet at idle. Has a deep rich throb. Have heard many on Youtube videos, but they must be a testament to cheap camera mics. Sounds much deeper and more throaty than anything I've heard online.

I did get it to rev up for a little bit and it sounded very healthy before it choked out again.

Pics to follow.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

He's 15. Wants to know when he can get his license. His Mom says "30."

She's 18. Guessing the age 30 rule will apply here as well.

On to the bike.

I'm guessing this is part of the battery issue. (Note the black wire running from the negative to the rectifier.)

Engine is generally tight with only a few leaks in evidence.

Nice size dent in the front fender that I'll have to straighten out.

Brake pedal is bent out of shape as well. I think the footpegs are slightly out of position as well.

Headlight bracket and front turn signal on the left are pretty well bent and/or broken. Have replacement turn signal for the front, but will need to straighten the brackets. Haven't sourced a rear turn signal yet.

Most of the chrome is going to need some serious elbow grease,

Will also need an oil cap.

radianrider screwed with this post 06-19-2011 at 11:23 AM
Old 07-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,024
Seems like this will make a good daily rider- Good original bike, only issues you've encountered seem to be from sitting or the couple of drops it's had. Perfect size engine as well. Nice project!

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Seems like this will make a good daily rider- Good original bike, only issues you've encountered seem to be from sitting or the couple of drops it's had. Perfect size engine as well. Nice project!
I think so, if I can get the bugs worked out. I'm not much of a mechanic, so I have to learn what I am doing, while doing it. A member of a Suzuki specific forum has offered to stop by and give it a once over for me.

Figure he can point me in the right direction on some of the issues. It is at the very least, an exercise in developing patience.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
fnqgr650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
gr650

Hi folks
I am actually trying to get onto the gr650 site of which I believe there are two. I have just had a gr given to me and am almost at point of road registration. I really need technical help such as tolerances, gaps etc and would love chat as once touched by one of these old wonders people seem to wax quite lyrical. Only prob is, rather than blab me name in email address I use an old saying by an old aussie actor name of Chips Rafferty. It might be that the mods on that site have taken offense at my email addy and refused me even entry. Political correctness really does get in the way sometimes. I guess, if that is the problem, I would happily surf this site with the owners that are here.
fnqgr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnqgr650 View Post
Hi folks
I am actually trying to get onto the gr650 site of which I believe there are two. I have just had a gr given to me and am almost at point of road registration. I really need technical help such as tolerances, gaps etc and would love chat as once touched by one of these old wonders people seem to wax quite lyrical. Only prob is, rather than blab me name in email address I use an old saying by an old aussie actor name of Chips Rafferty. It might be that the mods on that site have taken offense at my email addy and refused me even entry. Political correctness really does get in the way sometimes. I guess, if that is the problem, I would happily surf this site with the owners that are here.
I asked for a login for that site too and never received one. The GR is a rare bike so there aren't all that many experts on it. I would start a thread on your bike here and at dotheton.com and you'll find a few experts on both sites that will help you out.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:40 AM   #11
radianrider OP
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnqgr650 View Post
Hi folks
I just logged on to that board without a problem, but I registered a year ago. Pretty sleepy place. It did have a new legal page informing me that the Dutch government now requires them to notify you about cookies before you can log in.

Most of the info you need should be in the manual. Pablo's advice about Do The Ton is solid. Look for posts by Big Rich.
thegsresources.com has a lot good info on the Suzuki GS bikes. The GR is similar to the GS in many ways and they are a solid bunch of folk.