User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
2011 bmw g 650 gs fork failure

Ok, first down - fork failure with 95 miles on bike. I was heading on a straight way going 20-30 mph roughly; had to take a left hand turn approx 40' up the road when I went down... (Beginning rider so needless to say going 40mph right now is more than fast enough for me.) When I finally came to a stop I stood up - made sure all body parts were workin - Yup... fully intact.. thank goodness for protective clothing and full face helmet. Body damage -no broken bones or fractures......right ankle - quite swollen n sprained from heel to toe, left n right elbows an wrists road rash, left knee huge road rash, right knee slight road abrasions, right rib - major sore n bruising, nose very sore n was bloody. shoulder ,upper back ,neck & throat area swollen & tender. Pretty ridiculous that bmw hasnt been forced to recall this issue since it has been known for quite sometime..I bought this bike since it is an enduro meant for off on road use and I travel alot of country roads, but if heading on a straight a way on asphalt going this slow caused fork failure - OMG i just shiver at the thought.....

antiquewidow screwed with this post 06-23-2011 at 06:46 PM
antiquewidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,850
Report it to the NSHTA be sure to include Vin and the fact an accident occurred.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

If a few people report accidents, like only 3 or 4, and a few others report failures, they will normally take action, well unless BMW owns enough congressmen

Hop it is fixed and you have no lasting injury.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

oh i already have that number - cant do it online since they dont have my model... but that is my first call in the am.....thanks
Old 06-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Did you check out the thread on this topic? I can't remember the thread title.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
craiger527
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Can you describe in detail what happened to the forks? Just not clear when you say they failed. I am concerned about this because the forks on my 10 R1200GS have been leaking and sticking. It is in the shop right now and they have replaced the fork seals but they don't know why it is sticking. I have been fearing that they might fail and then reading your post really concerns me.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
antonac
Commuter

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
thank goodness for protective clothing and full face helmet.
Quote:
Body damage -no broken bones or fractures......right ankle - quite swollen n sprained from heel to toe, left n right elbows an wrists road rash, left knee huge road rash, right knee slight road abrasions, right rib - major sore n bruising, nose very sore n was bloody.
Something here's not adding up... how'd you end up with a bloody nose and rash, with proper gear, on a low-speed dump?

Also, are you sure you didn't touch that front brake?
Old 06-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
muddbutt
Pork Chop Expert

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquewidow View Post
Ok, first down - fork failure with 95 miles on bike. I was heading on a straight way roughly going 20-30 mph roughly; had to take a left hand turn approx 40' up the road when I went down... (Beginning rider so needless to say going 40mph right now is more than fast enough for me.) When I finally came to a stop I stood up - made sure all body parts were workin - Yup... fully intact.. thank goodness for protective clothing and full face helmet. Body damage -no broken bones or fractures......right ankle - quite swollen n sprained from heel to toe, left n right elbows an wrists road rash, left knee huge road rash, right knee slight road abrasions, right rib - major sore n bruising, nose very sore n was bloody.. Pretty ridiculous that bmw hasnt been forced to recall this issue since it has been known for quite sometime..I bought this bike since it is an enduro meant for off on road use and I travel alot of country roads, but if heading on a straight a way on asphalt going this slow caused fork failure - OMG i just shiver at the thought.....
pics? There was a known problem with some circa 2000-2003 GS forks. I haven't heard of any problems since then. BMW did a quiet change of the axle connecting points- the beefed them up quite a bit. A few riders had very well documented crashes where the front tires came off.
muddbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
SilentRay
Rebuilt

Oddometer: 552
Forks made of pot metal

Antiquewidow

Glad your fork failure didn't cause more serious injuries to you. But even though it's been three days since it happened, i think you should go to the hospital and get thoroughly checked out. Back and neck injuries especially are nothing to take lightly.
SilentRay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
Fraser01
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Astounds me!

Hey Antiquewidow

Sorry to hear this has happened, you would have thought that after years of experience from the F650GS single they would have got it right second time round!

I seriously hope you get everything sorted!!

Do you have a wider shot showing more of the front end of the bike?

Regards

fraser01
Fraser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all the support & info
Old 06-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
lemieuxmc
Banned

Call for Skipro... Skipro to the white courtesy phone.

Showa has made millions of forks over the last 50+ years and how many of them have you seen break off like this?

I've been riding since 1967 and I've never seen any breakage like that except on these BMW's.

Do you suppose that Showa is making these forks to BMW's design and bid specs?

Do you think that BMW went to Showa and asked for the best forks they can make for use on a world traveling adventure bike that is the flagship of the marque, or is it possible that they wanted the cheapest possible thing to stick on their entry level, low end machine, and betting that most buyers won't ever ride it hard enough to stress them (and that's why the slightest flaw in casting or machining results in catastrophic failure)?

You are damn right that riding can be dangerous, and that's why it's a really bad idea to use the brands historical reputation for extreme durability and quality to sell an inferior piece of crap to unsuspecting noobs (like you perhaps?) who are paying a premium price that implies fine German engineering!

You strike me as the kind of person who might like to invest in a deal I have for some waterfront property in the Everglades at an especially good price, just for you!

PS for ChiTown; "and agreed with the outcome of the investigation"
What was the outcome? Did they find that the crossover brake hose was prone to catch on the knobby and throw you to the ground?
How many fork failure crashes are there that we don't hear about?
If a GS crashes in the forest and nobody hears it, did it really happen?
If you weren't wearing a helmet cam, would BMW have told you "Saugt, um Sie!"?

lemieuxmc screwed with this post 06-26-2011 at 04:18 PM
Old 06-28-2011, 01:47 AM   #12
Barance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post

BTW, we have a 2011 BMW G650GS in the garage with 2500 miles on it... it's been beaten many times off road, two up, etc.... no problems besides broken hand levers...
Great bike, and looking forward to many fun miles on it, even with these nasty photos.
Firstly, sorry to hear about the crash and scary pics, my GS is 2 weeks old!

I am pleased though to see Chitowns response as this shows that not all the G's have dodgy forks. Mine has 500km on and I will be checking my forks for any issues however it is reassuring to see that thier one hasnt broken after 2500 moderate offroad miles.

I have read the whole thread and will have to reread it however was the fork failure the actual definate cause of the crash or was it an affect of the crash? As one poster notes the axle looks bent (or is it just the angle of the pic), I expect this happened as a result of the crash as I cant see it would have been able to be ridden like that.

Bike with only 95 miles on in my opinion would have new tyres that still need to have great care taken especally with a new rider.

The earlier fork issues were from memory pre 2003. Since then the F650 single has travelled many thousands of miles in the remaining 7 years of production and I am not aware that the issue reappered on the twin spark models.

I also will be interested to see what the dealer and BMW and the traffic authority report back on this, which I assume they are aware and have had an opportunity to investigate ?
Barance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:47 AM   #13
Barance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Check your forks manufacturing date..

I have looked and my G650GS has a date stamp on the inside of right fork leg, mine was produced in late 2010. So the G does not have old pre 2003 forks on it they are newly manufactured.

This isnt to say there might not be an issue but they are not old forks put on the new model.
Barance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #14
lemieuxmc
Banned

"I am pleased though to see Chitowns response as this shows that not all the G's have dodgy forks. Mine has 500km on and I will be checking my forks for any issues however it is reassuring to see that thier one hasnt broken after 2500 moderate offroad miles.

I have read the whole thread and will have to reread it however was the fork failure the actual definate cause of the crash or was it an affect of the crash? As one poster notes the axle looks bent (or is it just the angle of the pic), I expect this happened as a result of the crash as I cant see it would have been able to be ridden like that."

Chitown didn't seem to grasp the concept that (A) non-defective forks never break like that, even when slammed down from a great height or at speed into something solid (B) the OP wasn't going fast and didn't hit anything.

You can "check" your forks all day long, and maybe it will help you maintain a mental security blanket to assuage your nagging fear that you may have spent a pile of money on an inferior product that could get you killed. The hard truth is that unless you take them apart and conduct electronic or radiographic NDT, you have no idea if you are the poor Joe who happened to get the bad part. The outrage here is the forks are so very minimally adequate, that the slightest flaw in the casting or machining can result in CATASTROPHIC failure!

You might not know any better, but I guaran-damn-tee you that the engineers and management at BMW do... and THAT'S unexcusable!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #15
antiquewidow OP
Adventurer

NHTSA ODI number is : 10409875

It should be available for viewing within 3 business days.