Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
Englishmatt OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Just another FINAL DRIVE nightmare....with a twist

Here ya go...feast on this.

My bike is a 2010 GSA, my brothers is a 2009 GSA. July 2nd we left Atlanta, GA and ran up to Prudhoe bay.
At the start of the trip my bike had 13K, his bike had 8K.

After 11,500 miles, and in Memphis (400 miles from home)...BOTH Final Drives failed. I'm not talking about a blown seal....BOTH Final drive bearing failed on BOTH bikes within 100 miles of each other.

Result is that BOTH bikes are at the local BMW dealer awaiting diagnosis. Is it just me, or is that a little ODD????

Interesting note is that the dealer has only seen one other total FD failure on a late model GSA....and that guy went to ALASKA.

I'm not prepared to rip into BMW just yet....but I'm preparing myself to do just that. To have both bikes fail at the same time tells me there's something common to both units with this failure.

If I cannot take my "World Class", "Purpose Designed", "Adventure" bike to Alaska without fearing a trip ending breakdown...then I'd say BMW has a world of problems on a design that a.) Is not rocket science and b.) has been around for YEARS.

Now then, for all you ADV'ers that will respond with "Well, it's under warranty..." I agree, but think about what it means and just how critical this failure is for BOTH bikes at the same time. Think about the message it portrays, and just what happened to BOTH bikes to cause the failure?

If you've never done anything more than taken your GS/A on long touring rides, with occasional gravel road excursions, you'll not understand the beating these bikes took along the Alaska, Yukon and BC roads. You'll not understand how remote some of the places are in this country and just how unsettling a final drive weakness is when you are 400 miles from any town, not to mention cell phone coverage to even call for assistance.

That being said, BMW themselves promote the "sherman tank" nature of the GSA and offer lectures, seminars and event(s) to promote more adventure riding.

The most important thing right now is to understand "What caused the failure?". Then I need to know what BMW are going to do to get my confidence back in the brand...For starters I'd STOP the R&D on the new BOXER motor, it's excellent, reliable and simply works....they may want to shift focus on getting the f&%^&g drive train figured out!!!

As a former KTM 990 owner, I've taken crap over the past year about the final drives...and I've defended it everytime. Now with both bikes coming home on a trailer I look like a chump.

In our small group of GSA and RT riders (7 riders)....five (5) bikes (4 GS/A's and 1 RT) have had FD issues...

I'll update this post as I know more, so far the dealer (Blue Moon Cycles) are handling the situation as well as they could be expected to.

It was a sour note to end our month long adventure on the side of the interstate, with 50K in broken BMW motorcycles.

Matt.

"I can't lead, I go too fast..." Scott Hinkle, 4/2010
Englishmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
jhansen
Harley Rider

Oddometer: 252
That sucks.
AMA Life Member
jhansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
OoPEZoO
Dirtball Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 260
Tenere's started showing up at dealerships this week
Old 07-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
You need to keep the fact your going to Alaska secret. Don't talk about it if your near the bike.

Also I am wondering, did the final drive oil get correctly changed at the 600 mile service? Were 180 cc's of 75-90 GL5 synthetic put in?

When I bought my bike the service interval was lifetime. It took a whole bunch of failures at about your mileage before the new change interval of 600 then every 12k miles was created. Dave
Old 07-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by OoPEZoO View Post
Heretic!! STONE HIM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OoPEZoO View Post
and Tenere12 techs will start showing up at dealerships in 2013

I sure like the possibilities, though....

Don't those fork legs look small? Not the legs of the clearly orgasmic clutch-pawing model, you degenerates
Mugwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
mcstark
Oilhead convert

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest View Post
Heretic!! STONE HIM!!

Don't those fork legs look small? Not the legs of the clearly orgasmic clutch-pawing model, you degenerates
Thank you Yamaha for making that bike. Now people will stop calling the GS-series ugly. A face only a mother could love.

2003 BMW R1150GS
mcstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcstark View Post
Thank you Yamaha for making that bike. Now people will stop calling the GS-series ugly. A face only a mother could love.
Or Kamen Rider fans, but I digress.....
Old 07-30-2011, 01:21 AM   #8
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,276
Englishmatt, just a question, how heavily laden were the bikes, including riders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest View Post
Heretic!! STONE HIM!!

Not really, but you've pictured the 660 not the 1200 that is coming out now. Here's another model for comparison:

SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #9
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
I don't have a 1200 - yet, would plan to in the future but one glaring thing holds me back, that is that the 1200 FD is essentially NON rebuildable, bmw have no procedure for it, it's a matter of a new unit, ok if under warranty, what about for the rest of the bike's life? I've been saying for years that if the bike went back to a commonsense double sided swingarm we would not be having this conversation, single sided swingarm was a blatant case of style over substance imo.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:47 AM   #10
Lord Vader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Sorry to hear about that
I had on my 06 GSA all together 5 !!! final drives.Every 13k miles a new one.BMW paid for the first 4 and by #5 they said i was overloading the bike and refused to pay.
Got a 09 now which is on 24k miles now and all is well,so far
Old 07-30-2011, 02:46 AM   #11
AfricaWim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagueout View Post
..... I've been saying for years that if the bike went back to a commonsense double sided swingarm we would not be having this conversation, ....
Some things will remain mysteries...

AfricaWim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:00 AM   #12
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Eh? Ostrich

Come on you guys. I just got my head sufficiently buried in the sand, and now you're making me paranoid again. Lets hear from the 100,000 plus mile fd guys now.
BTW, 04 Adv with 27000 miles, so far so good.
Rockmuncher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:00 AM   #13
billdonna
Ex Coelis

Oddometer: 886
Say.....this wouldn't happen to be you lads, is it? If so I think I can figure out what happened.

Seriously though, tough luck there brother. Let us know what happened when you find out.
Attached Images

billdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:33 AM   #14
Unca Fud
nrpetersen

Oddometer: 235
My question is why did two (out of the seven) of your bike group not fail? I don't know of any around here FDs that have not had a failure.

Remember it is only 1 in 25 that fails (the 4 percent rule) - or was it one in 25 that doesn't?
Unca Fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #15
Meeni
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Pictures of failed FD very often show a red goop vomited from the failed seals - what I assumed to be Redline ShockProof, but it now came to my knowledge that other synth brands are blood red.
Meeni is offline   Reply With Quote