User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
CooperSmithingCo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Intro and Dual Harley

Hello, my name is Joe and because I started building Harley's I have no friends.

Though I feel a push rod engine has plenty of admirable qualities (low engine height, etc.), because I don't happen to like assless leather chaps or dress like a pirate, I've never been fully welcomed into the Harley clique. On the other hand, because I enjoy these tractor engines with their abundance of low end torque, I've found there is another group of more enlightened riders who assume I know all the words to "Born to be Wild" and must have an eagle tattoo on me somewhere.

I will admit I got my start in a chopper shop where function took a backseat to looking "cool", but I have no regrets as I used the experience to develop fabrication chops. Still relatively new to the motorcycle world, I'm firmly set on a quest to find the middle ground where form and function are equally important...but function over form.

I've learned a lot but I have a lot yet to learn. Unfortunately I know more about fabricating a bike than I do about riding one, but all that may change once I get my '70 Ossa 250 running in the dirt...but that's another story.

For now here's a bike I'm currently wrapping up:

The build is based around an 883 sportster engine and frame, utilizing Buell front forks and an R1 rear shock upgraded with a stiffer spring. The tail is also the oil tank and it should be noted there is no paint on the bodywork; it's all raw heat-treated steel with the graphics acid etched.

The construction of this bike started over 3 years ago, but quickly left my hands and was sold as a project bike. In a twist of fate, it came back to me last month and I've pushed hard to get it finished. Because of this, there are a few more compromises than I would like, such as the pipes being in the way of an ideal foot position, etc...these things were designed before I knew better. Nevertheless, the bike was built to be a solid, reliable platform and I have no doubt it'll cruise and handle just fine.
CooperSmithingCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,801
Ya' know, that Buell rear wheel doesn't have a cush-drive. Using chain final-drive without a cush drive is going to beat the hell out of your transmission and primary chain. Do you have a plan to solve that? The rest of the bike looks amazing. Where did you get that exhaust?
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
CooperSmithingCo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
Ya' know, that Buell rear wheel doesn't have a cush-drive. Using chain final-drive without a cush drive is going to beat the hell out of your transmission and primary chain. Do you have a plan to solve that? The rest of the bike looks amazing. Where did you get that exhaust?

Good eye, I'm building the cush drive into the rear sprocket, the one pictured is getting tossed. I built the exhaust pipes, sheetmetal ect., everything except the seat.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,696
I like your style. I, too, appreciate many types of motorcycles. Love those Pirelli MT60s on your rpoject bike.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,302
Nice! I like it a lot. You're a killer fabricator.

Is that your Ossa in the background of the last pic?
Old 08-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
CooperSmithingCo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
Nice! I like it a lot. You're a killer fabricator.

Is that your Ossa in the background of the last pic?
Thanks, that's the Ossa alright and I'm pretty excited to breathe life back into that bike. It'll be the first bike I build to keep in a long long time.

www.CooperSmithingCo.com
Old 08-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
Arctic Orange
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
I know the feeling. snobbed by the Beemer types on my "ultra" and snobbed by the "H-D" crowd on my Beemer. To me a cycle is a cycle. I love to look at 'em, work on 'em and most of all ride 'em! And I like your style and work!

'88 K75s/Velorex
'74 Dirt Squirt
BMWMOA 43097, IBA 11211, Rounder
Arctic Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,946
Oh MAn! I'd ride that!

Thanks for posting!
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
AtLarge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
Oh MAn! I'd ride that!

Thanks for posting!
No chit mon and I'm not much of a Harley fan.
2008 GSX1300-BKK8 #1120
Cardo Scala rider G4 PowerSet
AtLarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #10
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,513
Looks nice Joe, great fab skills.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #11
tragerbon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
This is certainly an interesting build, I like the clean lines and the no frill approach. I am not sure if it's just the angle of the pics, but between the design of that seat, location of the foot rest and the head of the motor, things could get a little warm. I am sure you have spent allot of time on the design and engineering of the bike and it look great but from the pics...this could bring a whole new meaning to "chestnuts roasting on an open fire".
Old 08-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #12
CooperSmithingCo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragerbon View Post
This is certainly an interesting build, I like the clean lines and the no frill approach. I am not sure if it's just the angle of the pics, but between the design of that seat, location of the foot rest and the head of the motor, things could get a little warm. I am sure you have spent allot of time on the design and engineering of the bike and it look great but from the pics...this could bring a whole new meaning to "chestnuts roasting on an open fire".

Ha, better market it like the engine, "air cooled". Maybe I should include a pair of Speedos with a scoop.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #13
tragerbon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperSmithingCo View Post
Ha, better market it like the engine, "air cooled". Maybe I should include a pair of Speedos with a scoop.
Yeah, a little air flow to that area might help relieve some of the heat issue lol, but seriously...have you given any real thought as to how much heat will be generated at the head and then transfered to the persons body given the relitave proximity of the seat and head. I like the style of the bike, however I think there may be a heat issue for anyone riding it for more than a few minutes.

Just food for thought !
Old 08-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #14
CooperSmithingCo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragerbon View Post
Yeah, a little air flow to that area might help relieve some of the heat issue lol, but seriously...have you given any real thought as to how much heat will be generated at the head and then transfered to the persons body given the relitave proximity of the seat and head. I like the style of the bike, however I think there may be a heat issue for anyone riding it for more than a few minutes.

Just food for thought !
There just isn't as much heat there as you might think, never measured the actual temp because it's never been an issue.

*It should also be noted the frame is near stock (aside from the swingarm and a few mounting points) and the proximity isn't significantly altered by this seat. But I do appreciate the concern over my better parts!

CooperSmithingCo screwed with this post 08-20-2011 at 05:07 PM Reason: *Addition
Old 08-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #15
tragerbon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperSmithingCo View Post
There just isn't as much heat there as you might think, never measured the actual temp because it's never been an issue.

*It should also be noted the frame is near stock (aside from the swingarm and a few mounting points) and the proximity isn't significantly altered by this seat. But I do appreciate the concern over my better parts!

I am by no means a Harley expert, but from the pics of your build and looking at the pics of a stock 883, it looks like the foot pegs have been moved forward at least 8". The bars are also look a bit shorter by about 4", with this configuration whomever is sitting on the bike would also be pulled foward the same amount, so instead of sitting to the rear of the seat, which is about 8" behind the head, they are now sitting almost on top of the head.

I believe the normal operating temp for that motor is 230 degrees, heat dissipation has several variables in this application, outside temp, humidity, air flow and conduction which will determine the final delta-T, but simply stated...the closer you are to the heat sorce, the less the delta-T.

I think you are going to have a really hot bike, as far as you better parts are concerned, I'll leave that up to your significant other.