Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
mikijakovadv OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Michelin Anakee 2 vs Metzeler Tourance on 1200 gsAdv?

Hi to all tyre melting chaps
Lets see your opinion about this 2 same category tires. Just about to change my second set of Battlewing to ride around Europe in November....and thinking about this two choices hhmmmm... What is cons and pros between this two! Which one is better for gravel/fire road,street use? Better grip on wet roads?
What say you with great experience
Thanks a lot!
Old 09-13-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,050
Avon Distanzia
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
TaterHarry
Barley Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
For gravel roads and wet grip, the Anakee is superior to the Tourance.

The Tourances wear better, and that's about it. IMO, YMMV, etc etc
TaterHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 7,833
Virtually indistinguishable to me. Both are ice-skates on anything loose and powdery. Both are great street tires. I get a few hundred more miles out of Tourances.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
BostonGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Virtually indistinguishable to me. Both are ice-skates on anything loose and powdery. Both are great street tires. I get a few hundred more miles out of Tourances.
I totally agree...I really can't tell the difference where it matters.
BostonGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #6
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
My experience mirrors SOG's exactly after several pairs of both these tires on multiple bikes. The Anakee 2s I used got better mileage than the original Anakee, but developed an interesting howl while cornering on asphalt that the original didn't have.
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
WADE-O
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Avon distanzia

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Avon Distanzia
+1 i really like my distanazia's and they lost quite a while and have good grip in every condition that i have ever been through. From wet roads to loose gravel roads.

STAY POSITIVE AND LOVE YOUR LIFE - 311
WADE-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
Adrian63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I've always used Anakee's or TKC, the Anakee's are a good road tire
Adrian63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #9
IRONDOG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Pissed MICHELIN Anakee 2

My 2011 GSA came with Michelin Anakee 2's(the tires I wanted). I have been very happy with them until my replacement rear with about 50% tread failed on me! I guess they are not made to go 110 mph for about 20-30 miles continuous...the tire lost a chunk of tread about 2.5" x 7" at 110 mph. They have a speed rating of H or V , depending where you look(tire says V, paperwork says H)...still at least 130 mph. The casing still held air though...I guess thats a good thing. I was able to limp it home 55 miles. I dont think I will run any more Michelins though!
IRONDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
Tobz
Ne'er-du-well

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONDOG View Post
My 2011 GSA came with Michelin Anakee 2's(the tires I wanted). I have been very happy with them until my replacement rear with about 50% tread failed on me! I guess they are not made to go 110 mph for about 20-30 miles continuous...the tire lost a chunk of tread about 2.5" x 7" at 110 mph. They have a speed rating of H or V , depending where you look(tire says V, paperwork says H)...still at least 130 mph. The casing still held air though...I guess thats a good thing. I was able to limp it home 55 miles. I dont think I will run any more Michelins though!
On the Anakee my dealer asks me if I want the H rated or the V rated as they are differnt part numbers, and the V rated tire costs slightly more. I definetly don't need the 149 mph V on my 1150GSA, but I've often wondered if they ride the same.
Loosing a chunk of tread that size is a serious issue, but it could have been compromised by unseen road debris.
Tobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #11
mikijakovadv OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Michelin made in ????

It is wise to check where is it made
At least in europe, best quality michelin is always made in France as some other eastern countrys also made them,but quality is questionable
I was very happy with my battlewings on rain and dry tarmac,only they don't last long, max 8000 miles. I like anakee wide pattern which is better for light off road or not?? Still have to test them both....
Old 09-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #12
legendmc
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Wink Michelin - My Preference

I just recently completed a round-trip to Alaska and back. I put tourance on my girlfriend's bike and anakees on mine. Both bikes were BMW R1200GSs. The anakee 2 is a superior tire in my estimation. It seemed to do better on the gravel and held great in the rain! Although I did pick up a nail in the rear tire about 200 miles from my home on the return trip.
I purchased the anakees on a recommendation from my brother-in-law. He says he gets about 15 - 17 k out of them. After about 7,500 miles (after finishing the AK ride) I inspected the tires from both bikes. Were it not for the nail, I MAY have gotten about another 2k out of the tires. The tourances looked like they might have gotten another 5k. So, IMHO, the metzlers get the mileage nod. Seeing that I had to replace my tires anyway, I decided to replace the anakees with the tourances. The first thing I noticed was that the bike seemed to be about a half an inch to an inch taller! So, the tourances seem to have a slightly taller profile with identical tire sizes (more rubber = longer mileage?). After putting about 500 - 800 miles on the tourances, I have decided that I definitely like the anakees better. The anakees feel stickier and in my estimation, handle better on the blacktop. The tread on the anakee is more aggressive. While I have not ridden the metzlers off the pavement yet, based on tread aggressiveness, I would probably give the nod to the Michelin. I would gladly trade a few mile of longevity for better handling and off-road traction.
My brother-in-law commutes freeways on his bike (R1200GSA), which may contribute to the mileage he gets on anakees.
I have heard and read great things about both tires. It comes down to preference. I prefer the Michelin Anakee 2.
legendmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #13
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer: 688
X2 - this is what I run on my cast wheels
on my spoked wheels I run TKC 80 up front and K60 out back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendmc View Post
I prefer the Michelin Anakee 2.
Garden of Eden, the Sierra Club would have.
TBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #14
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,091
Just put Anakee 2s on my GSA and so far so good. I took them off road yesterday and they worked surprisingly well over some loose stuff and in short patches of thick goo. I was surprised they clawed their way through one swampy section without to much of an issue. Also bounced them over some pretty rough rocks and had no issues. I was running them at 30psi the entire time.
CanadianX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,368
My experience is with the heavier 1150 pig, i have used both tyres extensively and there is not a lot between them. I agree with most posters here in that the tourances last a little longer, but the annakee 11's do feel very sticky in the wet. On sealed roads i feel the tourances have a more accurate feel to them, almost a pinpoint precision that the annakees dont quite have . Offroad i do prefer the annakees, again not much in it, imo they are both great allrounders on the gs.