User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
FredRydr OP
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,449
Wicked Sidekicker adjustable sidestand

Now that the Sidekicker is going into production, go to page 8 for ordering information. July 18th (2012) deadline for advance order discount!

The Sidekicker is a patented well-executed adjustable sidestand that resolves lean-angle issues, but is only available for the R1200GS. Steve Ruth and his partner are working on the version for our F800GS (and presumably the F650GS twin). At the Bloomsburg rally where the Sidekicker was demonstrated, he said the F800GS version would be available early Spring. In an email yesterday, he wrote that not much progress was made, and now he is looking at early summer. You know how these side projects can get pushed to the back burner, so I am considering a Group Buy of a custom run of F800GS Sidekickers (he makes custom Sidekickers for any bike). It may turn into the first run of the final product, anyway. The price of the R1200GS version is $349.

Please have a look at the link above, especially the "How It Works" video, and reply with your interest. I'll go from there.

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 07-10-2012 at 01:09 PM Reason: Added sentence with link at top.
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 407
Sorry I missed you at Bloomsburg.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Looks like a very useful addition, especially if you have two different sets of wheels (eg 19/17 for the street and 21/18 for off road).

But while I can appreciate quality craftsmanship, $350 for a side stand is a bit rich for my blood...
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
johnparjr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Not for $350
johnparjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 587
WOW at last..... I have been doing back of the envelope designs to fix the side stand for about a year but time just has not presented itself to allow me to put them into action. We want two, were do we send the cash?
Old 09-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 307
Wow Awesome, Double WOW expensive!! Love to have one but.....price is just to high. I will follow with interest though. Looks so shiny.
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
FredRydr OP

Yes, we can agree it is expensive, just like the bike it mounts to, and if you want either, you pay the price. Its value to you will be based upon how often you park on uneven and sloped surfaces, the weight of your fully packed bike, and the length of your inseam. The price will be almost irrelevant for anyone who constantly deals with all three!

He offers it as pictured and in different colors. I will ask for black.

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 09-21-2011 at 12:58 PM
Old 09-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,557
If you're able to arrange a group buy, give us an idea of price. Once it picks up some steam, we'll move the thread to Vendors.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 859
Will there be any interference for those of us with aftermarket pegs, such as Pivot Pegz? How about strength? Stronger than stock?

It does look very pretty, and if it works out, I might even be willing to spend that kind of coin on it when I get back home. Thanks for heading this up and trying to get it out to us!
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #10
picard
engage!

Oddometer: 1,135
wonder how well it will work once grit and dirt gets into the mechanism... How is the feedback from the 12GS guys?
Old 09-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
KL0RG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
KL0RG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #12
1fastjunebug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Side Kicker Side Stand

This is a very viable solution to this excessive lean issue - loaded or not but especially on uneven ground.

I've been waiting and waiting for these guys to bring something to market.

In the interim, I've drilled and tapped my side stand and installed a hockey puck to the bottom. Had to wittle away quite a lot of the puck to make it clear the side stand but enough remains to not only provide a bigger foot print for the side stand but also brings the bike up to a manageable lean angle when the side stand is deployed.

I used the same thing on my R1200GS with no wittling of the hockey puck required, worked like a wizard and saved my bacon on many occassions.

I would definitely be interested in this side stand, but am a bit agasp at the pricing. Looks like a quality item though.

If it were somewhere under $200.00, or even closer to $150.00 I'd be all over it, but, the price is a strong incentive to stay with my hockey puck, stainless steel bolt, washer and a little time - cost me a grand total of around $3.00 and about an hour.

Will follow the developments - never say never.

Bugley
1fastjunebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
FredRydr OP

The point of this device is the adjustment of the length, not that it is longer than stock. There are plenty of times I've parked and found the stock length works fine (such as my garage floor or the crown of a road is on my left), which is why the Sidekicker starts at stock length. If a static length was the solution, it'd be a cheap fix and this device would have no market.

I have Pivot Pegs, too, so I am interested in the answer to that question. If I had to choose the Pivot Pegs or the Sidekicker, that'd be a tough one (other than I already own the pegs!). :-P

As to gunk clogging the device, it appears it is just as exposed to the elements as the stock stand. I've never had an issue with my side stand not working due to mud. The switch stopped working, though, until I cleaned out the crud.

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 09-21-2011 at 03:25 PM
Old 09-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,785
I like it, but it would have to be below $125 for it to be worth it. Until then, I will continue to place a rock or stick under the side stand when the bike is leaning too much on soft terrain. On a side note, I have never really had too much of an issue with how this bike sits on its side stand. I know it 'looks' like it's leaning too much, but it's actually not. It's just the way the bike is designed. Point being, my bike has never tipped over in my 3 years of owning it while on the side stand.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #15
FredRydr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
I know it 'looks' like it's leaning too much, but it's actually not.
I assure you there are people (like me) that know otherwise when parking on surfaces other than glorious flat macadam.

Fred