User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2011, 02:34 AM   #1
LasseNC OP
XSessive!

Oddometer: 1,055
Assessing my new GT380 *PICS*

Also posted on the Suzuki GT forum(Sundial), but I know there are some GT freaks lurking here, come forth please :)

Hellow!

I recently acquired a GT380, it looked pretty sound from a far, but tearing into it has turned up a few things that I will want to address.

Here are a couple of pictures, followed by some questions :)

Headlight, take note of the M6 bolt welded to a nut, which is to stabilize the headlight. Ditching the whole unit, the mounting system is too cumbersome too.

Thread for the sidecover has died and a clip and a wood-type screw has been used. Too bad this wasn't fixed before it got painted. So I am interested in a solution, which will keep the paint intact.

All coils mounted with cableties, pipe insulation and waterhose. Are these coils original? From the fiches I have seen they are not, though I might be wrong. Thinking of making a proper bracket or exchanging them. Which options do I have?

Throttleshaft seems glued together, probably because it can be tightened up enough I reckon?

Mounting tabs for the gastank are aweful, silicone has been used to mount some skinny ones. Are the tabs original?

That is it for now. The wiring consists of mostly red, and will need to be addressed as well.

Kind regards, Lasse
LasseNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,305
Oddly enough, that reminds me of any vehicle you buy from someone here that is originally from Mexico. Typical of someone who has no money and needs to keep something running, pretty ingenious I think. However, you can fix all that stuff. I feel the coils are for power as well as a replacement On all 2 stroke street bikes, at some point people realized a hot car coil worked better at keeping plugs from fouling, and made a little better power and also were very inexpensive compared to a stock replacement.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Oddly enough, that reminds me of any vehicle you buy from someone here that is originally from Mexico. Typical of someone who has no money and needs to keep something running, pretty ingenious I think. However, you can fix all that stuff. I feel the coils are for power as well as a replacement On all 2 stroke street bikes, at some point people realized a hot car coil worked better at keeping plugs from fouling, and made a little better power and also were very inexpensive compared to a stock replacement.
Yah,the more I look at it the more oddities I see,switch from a moped,electrical tape by the yard,hose clamps,zip ties for days,I like it! Most likely can be fixed at roadside with the bare minimum of fuss.Im pretty sure thats radiator hose between the carbs and cylinders,just has that look.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

BTW one time right after getting back to Albuquerque I bought a nice shape all there GT380 for 12 dollars. It didn't run. I was in the carprot messing with it to see what I needed to do and a guy walked up from the sidewalk and offered me $500.00 for it. I had had it a week and sold it. I should have kept it since it actually ran after a carb clean.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
Foot dragger
singletracker

Parts on ebay for those bikes tend to be cheap to dirt cheap,parts bikes can be found from time to time for not much also. I had a set of carbs like that that took for ever to get 30.00 out of. So keeping it on the road shouldnt be too hard.
They ARE fun to ride,I rode a friends around off road and on,great sound with some pipes!
Old 10-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #6
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Oddometer: 782
Gonna be fun!

You are gonna have some fun with this bike. And as stated in a previous post, parts prices are too bad.

I have a 1972 GT 750 J (4LS) that has been sitting for years. Maybe I should roll it out and take some pic's. Bought it to steal the 4LS off of it. I did a little research on it and since it was a single year production of the 4LS and a short run at that, I decided to leave it all together as a complete bike.
ooweel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooweel View Post
You are gonna have some fun with this bike. And as stated in a previous post, parts prices are too bad.

I have a 1972 GT 750 J (4LS) that has been sitting for years. Maybe I should roll it out and take some pic's. Bought it to steal the 4LS off of it. I did a little research on it and since it was a single year production of the 4LS and a short run at that, I decided to leave it all together as a complete bike.
I sold a 4LS brake off one of those for 700.00(just the hub really) A bike builder in Vietnam just had to have it. It came attached to a 500 Titan of which I still have 3 hulks sitting here. VERY heavy 500 twins.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
My first bike was a red 76. If I remember right very smooth and very thirsty. Scared the crap out of me the first time I took it to red line. Be careful in the corners things tend to touch down early. Have fun!
Old 10-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

GT 750J pic's

Got me salivating to pull mine out. So I took a couple pics.
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

OK here is the other side

Different point of view
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
None of this stuff is stock. This bike has been hacked and hacked hard.

I'd try and return it to stock (or near stock) with scrounged parts off Ebay. Picking up a parts bike for a few hundred would be a good strategy.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #12
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Lasse

Using Ebay in your part of the world? Is it pretty easy getting things shipped in from other countries or are the duties and shipping a big issue for used motorcycle parts?
Old 10-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #13
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooweel View Post
Got me salivating to pull mine out. So I took a couple pics.
That is still one of my holy grail bikes. I rode one for a day or two once and fell totally in love with it.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:18 AM   #14
LasseNC OP
XSessive!

Oddometer: 1,055
Today I worked abit more on the bike. My main focus today was the wiring harness. It's primarily made in red, so it can get a bit confusing at times, but there is not alot of electronics on the bike so alltogether it was OK. I started out by testing the battery, which had a charge of 6v. and the charger deemed it defect, so I found a spare in the garage, just for testing purposes, as they are not the same size. But after a bit of fiddling, testing the ignition switch and so on, it all tested OK.

The next thing I needed to check before starting the engine was the oilpump. But I got stuck when I reached an unbraco bolt, which had a rounded head. I decided to wait and see if I could come up with a clever way of fixing it. In that regards, I also got off the carburettors, and a clean might do. Now we're lucky in the EU, as we don't have the same petrol as you guys, so I don't see gummed up carburettors like you do :)

Today was a fine day, and I now know even more stuff about the bike and what I need to do.

Do you know a euro source for 33mm headlight ears?
LasseNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #15
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasseNC View Post
The next thing I needed to check before starting the engine was the oilpump....
I'd leave it in place, but run premix until you're sure it is pumping. I don't think stripping it and relying on premix is a great solution - as I recall, these bikes pumped some oil directly to the engine's bottom end.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote