Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2011, 04:58 AM   #1
Sascha OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Talking Coming to NZ! Be warned, its not me driving on the wrong side of the street!

Hello,

My wife and I are around 40, from Germany but we are living for a long time now in different countries - we lived and worked in Greece, Africa, and now for the last 6 years in Prague, Czech Republic. We are travelling 2up and so far we did some „shot“ bike trips, e.g. last year we made the full circle of Greece, 4.700km. Our bike is a Africa Twin RD07 from 93, 80k km, somehow modified with what is needed for some good travelling (suspense, electric (rectifier),gasoline pump, seat, tires, AluCases, screen ...).

We thought a long time about a RTW trip on a bike but we never did the final step… And now we did it, we quit our jobs and off we go. The rough plan till now (and that’s what we have actually), is going to New Zealand and from there we go to Bangkok up to North of Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, to East Timor from there to Australia and around Australia (this order because of the rain seasons). After this part we will have to see if we drive back to Europe or ship the bike and fly...

If you like you can visit our blog at http://www.RTWbyBIKE.com.

We are grateful for all contacts, tips and advices, routes, places to stay, camp and having fun, a beer, good stories and everything what is fun!

We will do couchsurfing, watchmyhouse, housesharing and will visit friends on the way as well...

Kerstin and Sascha

SAFE RIDE EVERYBODY!!!

Sascha screwed with this post 10-17-2011 at 04:59 AM Reason: ...
Sascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Rosie!
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 442
Welcome to the NZ forum!
It looks like an awesome trip you guys are doing. Let us know if you are in the Rotorua area - Clintnz and I are always keen to meet travelling motorcyclists. Clint is also a member of couchsurfing.
Have a look in the local ride reports thread to get some ideas of good places to ride.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,632
Groovy groovy.

Well cool trip you guys have planned, if you are in Wanaka New Zealand before mid April 2012 you guys have a bed and access to full workshop for any running repairs maintenance etc.

Will follow your site.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
Sascha OP
Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Groovy groovy.

Well cool trip you guys have planned, if you are in Wanaka New Zealand before mid April 2012 you guys have a bed and access to full workshop for any running repairs maintenance etc.

Will follow your site.
Same to you guys! Great plan! Subscribet to your newsletter.

Its a bit chaotic here at the moment, counting the hours and still fighting with my bank (not for money but for access, transfers, safety, tools, etc...).(<--- -cheap excuse for not updating the blog so frequently at the moment )

Be warned, if we are around we will get in contact with all of you who told us to do so ...... Its FUNtastic, we have to make an excel table to collect all the invitations we got so far.... A BIG THANK YOU GUYS!!!!!!

Our biggest fear at the moment is to get the bike out of the customs and the MAF Auckland... Nobody has a friend working there?

Maybe there will be a HU meeting in AUK mid October ... ll c
Old 10-18-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,107
Same here for Wellington. Send me a PM

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer: 1,381
Hi

Look me up when yr near Te Anau down lower south Island , beds and workshop
Toddy
Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
Shewolfnz
Heels on wheels

Oddometer: 119
hey there, saw your posts on HU - sing out when in Auckland if you need a place to stay, on the North Shore.

There could well be a HU Auckland meet up while you're here, there's an email out seeing if anyones interested.

Shewolfnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
Sascha OP
Adventurer

Hi guys, around in Auckland now for a week, did a bit of exploring because our bike was 10 days late but tomorrow we start up North before heading down to the South island, unfortunately we can not make it to the bike meeting end of the month at the end of the South island, would be to fast traveling for us ...

c u on the road....

cheers Sascha and Kerstin
Old 11-08-2011, 02:00 AM   #9
Ross Brown
One AU out

Oddometer: 70
Hi
Just seen your post. I've a couple of great route suggestions for you for the middle of the North Island. Drop me a PM. I'm in Auckland tomorrow morning too.
Ross Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:43 AM   #10
Sascha OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Brown View Post
Hi
Just seen your post. I've a couple of great route suggestions for you for the middle of the North Island. Drop me a PM. I'm in Auckland tomorrow morning too.
Tomorrow morning we do the maf and the wof etc... and then heading north, on the way way i will contact you when we are back in auckland

cheers
Old 11-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #11
Ross Brown
One AU out

Oddometer: 70
NZ route planning

My personal tips for those coming from the Northern Hemisphere to here:

Spend more time in the South Island. Drive DOWN the West Coast and up the EAST. The Scenery is ahead of you on the way down the West coast.

Remember to keep the receipts from the big supermarket chains as they have a $4c per litre discount barcode to handover at gas stations.

Remember the further South you go the COLDER it gets. Not Northern EU cold - we can have four seasons in one day - so wear lots of thin layers you can add or take off.

The World's weather flows from the West to the East and we have 3,000kms of ocean between NZ and AU. The clouds pick up a lot of precipitation and dump it when they hit high land. This makes the West Coast wet, and the East coast dry. I've seen quite a few folk on bikes half way down the West Coast of the South Island having a poor time because they have been wet for days on end. And falling off while crossing wet railway lines (shared by bikes, cars and trains all on a single a bridge). So be prepared to go East if it looks like a week of wet weather sets in ahead of you.

The drive to New PLymouth on the West Coast of the North Island is a magic road that follows the coast. Some of my fav roads for my Africa Twin or anyone on a big ADV bike are here (sorry about typos):

Ross Brown screwed with this post 11-08-2011 at 01:50 PM
Ross Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Brown View Post
My personal tips for those coming from the Northern Hemisphere to here:
Good advice, except for leg 6 on your map, hwy 1 through Northland? No way, take the western route up through Dargaville (Matakohe Kauri Museum is worth a look) then Waipoua Forest, Rawene ferry etc. On the eastern side stick to the small roads close to the coast where possible. Have fun!

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote