Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
dfhmotor OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
The 2012 CRF250L thread

Anyone find any info on this bike yet?

It looks like it could give the WR250R/X faithful a run for their money, especially if it is as cheap as the CBR250R counterpart.

Here is the link:

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...50l/19469.html
dfhmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,999
this is the thread for that.
thanks for the link!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722307
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
this is the thread for that.
thanks for the link!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722307
hey hows it going over there

jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
This thread needs pictures...

I'm taking a guess in saying it will probably be about 300lbs, looks like a lower seat height compared to the KLX250S and the WR250R. Should be a nice compliment to this class of bikes.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by windquest View Post

I'm taking a guess in saying it will probably be about 300lbs, looks like a lower seat height compared to the KLX250S and the WR250R. Should be a nice compliment to this class of bikes.

Another ho-hum bike designed by someone who doesn't ride.

A perimeter frame is a dumb idea on an ADV/DS bike. It makes the bike harder to work on and wider with a bigger tank.

That thin seat will be miserable after a few hours.

It will be harder than necessary to put a fender bag on that goofy looking front fender.

The headlight is too low for night time riding. Your spare tube/ fender bag will be in the way.

From the looks of the rear end, it will be a challenge to get a rack and luggage on it.

Just another bike designed by marketing surveys........probably be a nice bike for what it is though.

You would think that at least ONE of the mfgrs would have someone who riders ADV/DS and could offer some input.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
Another ho-hum bike designed by someone who doesn't ride.

A perimeter frame is a dumb idea on an ADV/DS bike. It makes the bike harder to work on and wider with a bigger tank.

It will be harder than necessary to put a fender bag on that goofy looking front fender.

The headlight is too low for night time riding. Your spare tube/ fender bag will be in the way.

From the looks of the rear end, it will be a challenge to get a rack and luggage on it.

Just another bike designed by marketing surveys........probably be a nice bike for what it is though.

You would think that at least ONE of the mfgrs would have someone who riders ADV/DS and could offer some input.
i agree on may of your points, but it's a day riding bike to Honda.

i wonder if a perimeter frame enables a FI tank (w/ fuel pump sitting at the low point) to be more easily designed? if you have a backbone frame then the fuel pump must side on one side or the other, but i'm not sure if this is an issue? i'm sure IMS will make a bigger tank either way as there is room to expand of the sides of that bike.

i think for the japanese, the perimiter frame look is expected as that's what the MX/dirtbikes have. the wr250r seems to do well with it's partial alum. one and IMS is getting almost 5G tank on it.

as for the seat agreed. why use a dirtbike seat. my guess is Honda wants it to look more like a dirtbike then a functional long-range DS. i'm sure seat concepts, corbin and maybe sargent will do something.

i looked at that rear and though where can a side rack be mounted? look at the new crosstour and you'll see another bike that doesn't offer much for the side rack mfg to work with? seems Honda likes slick & clean lines over functionality.

what's this all mean, Honda is not putting the aftermarket outta biz with this bike.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 11-12-2011 at 10:39 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,170
Really all Honda needs to have is a long travel 230 air cooled. ...For Simplicity. And light weight.
Based off the CRF230 not the street side of the bike.
Seeing how we wont get that I don't see the selling potential of another 270-300 lb, [apparent] shorter travel bike.
9-10" of travel is all this bike really needs...
MFg's need to get these dual sports down to 240 lbs or under, dry weight.
Now if this weighed 225 lbs +- dry I think it would have more appeal.
It may be just a lame attempt to put out a red bike to (barely) compete with the KLX250S and the WR250R.

Honda has been lame for quite a while now...

EDIT: The current CRF250L weighs 267 lbs with a full tank [claimed]. Now just put 9-10 inches of travel f & r on it!
(yes I know the front has 9" now, BALANCE IT!)
Sounds dangerous.

Maxacceleration screwed with this post 11-12-2011 at 11:49 AM
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #8
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,858
Thread: 2012 Fuel injected CRF250L?!!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
Really all Honda needs to have is a long travel 230 air cooled. ...For Simplicity. And light weight.

So... you're saying Honda needs to think older-tech?

What's so bad about a better, stronger, faster motor? And what's wrong with liquid cooled?

My bike, according to the FSM weighs 283lbs... And it being the US version, has 26hp... With higher lift cams and a richer jet, it'll do 29.

Ok, so I don't have a long travel susp, but my bike will do what a 17hp 230 will do, and not have to be trailered there and back to do it.

It's fun being able to do over the speed limit...

Thread: Same'ol same'ol poo poo talk

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 11-12-2011 at 11:24 PM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,636
How about this then -

http://www.honda.com.br/motos/Paginas/XRE%20300.aspx

QUOTE=rufus;17288697]Another ho-hum bike designed by someone who doesn't ride.

You would think that at least ONE of the mfgrs would have someone who riders ADV/DS and could offer some input.[/QUOTE]
John Ashman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:43 AM   #10
MotoChris521
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ashman View Post
How about this then -

http://www.honda.com.br/motos/Paginas/XRE%20300.aspx

QUOTE=rufus;17288697]Another ho-hum bike designed by someone who doesn't ride.

[/QUOTE]
OMG ! That should be in jo mama 's WTF thread.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
If it comes to the states, I may be in.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #12
dirt hokie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
not what we need

we already have that bike, a klx 250 and a wr 250 r.

If honda wants to sell somthing, put a plate on a CRF 250 X . Yamaha should do the same for the wr 250 and 450.
That is the market segment that gets ignored by the Japanes bikes. The WR 450 F with a factory plate is what i want. Great off road performance with not quite the fininky maintainess and expensive parts of the European bikes.
dirt hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:08 AM   #13
southy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt hokie View Post

If honda wants to sell somthing, put a plate on a CRF 250 X . Yamaha should do the same for the wr 250 and 450.
That is the market segment that gets ignored by the Japanes bikes. The WR 450 F with a factory plate is what i want. Great off road performance with not quite the fininky maintainess and expensive parts of the European bikes.
You need to move to Oz. We get all those bike as well as the CRF450X and KLX450 fully plated. Ride anywhere anytime.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #14
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:

The CRF250X has a short lifespan for the top end/valves,100 hours is pushing it for taking the top end apart,and it only makes 25 hp with this short lifespan. Not the best candidate for a dual purpose bike.
And then its 250 lbs dry even as a dirt bike,Honda would nudge it to 310lbs if it was street legal. I dont quite see the point on these 250 4 stroke dual purpose bikes,too heavy and slow. I know some people love em to death though.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:

One problem, a CRF250X has a top end life of 100 hours max,all while making 24 hp when revved hard. Then it weighs 250lbs in off road trim. That would be 320lbs in dualsport for Honda.
Honda has not a single bike I would look at buying,they're a car company.