ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
basketcase OP
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,411
The MotionX on the iPhone Thread

Using search I did not find a thread devoted to the iPhone and the specific app so maybe this will become the MotionX brain trust.

I have an iPhone 4 and have had MotionX installed for a while but have not used it. Then several weeks ago a friend broke down eight miles into the boonies on his bike and two of us set off at dusk dark with a Garmin 76Csx and a TomTom and had the devil of a time finding him.

It would have been much simpler had I known the MotionX app well enough to load his position and go straight in. So now I'm on a mission to learn the app post haste!

Insight any of you can offer about using the specific app (MotionX) and the necessary and related mapping and navigation needs will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rick

basketcase screwed with this post 11-12-2011 at 10:18 AM Reason: speelin'
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
I just downloaded the app yesterday....
Old 11-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,648
I've been using it for awhile now. Check their website, they have a really good set of instructions.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
basketcase OP
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,411
Jeff, thanks for the heads up.

And here's the iPhone specific link: http://gps.motionx.com/iphone/overview/

Duh -- finding the link was easy enough. Sometimes doofus here is oblivious to the obvious.

But experienced uses can cut through a lot of the fog, so I would be interested in your general take on the app, trick, shortcuts, etc.

Thanks again.

basketcase screwed with this post 11-12-2011 at 12:29 PM
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
Bob Tosi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Have you had the issue of the phone interrupting the GPS with "voice mail password incorrect"?

I keep getting this and it's a PITA because I have to stop, take off a glove and cancel out the msg and restore MotionX.
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tosi View Post
Have you had the issue of the phone interrupting the GPS with "voice mail password incorrect"?

I keep getting this and it's a PITA because I have to stop, take off a glove and cancel out the msg and restore MotionX.

To avoid this go to settings>Notifications>Phone>Notification Center>set to off & do the same for messages. No more problems. I just turn it off when using MotionX and on when I'm not using it.

TRZ Charlie screwed with this post 11-12-2011 at 08:10 PM
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
kimel
I hit what?

Oddometer: 210
Used both the regular Motion-X and Motion-X Drive for quite awhile. Haven't had the voicemail issue. The voice guidance subscription is well worth it.
kimel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimel View Post
Used both the regular Motion-X and Motion-X Drive for quite awhile. Haven't had the voicemail issue. The voice guidance subscription is well worth it.
I have MotionX drive and when the trial subscription ran out I got Mapquest for iPhone. It talks and it's free.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:07 AM   #9
Lounge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
I have MotionX drive and when the trial subscription ran out I got Mapquest for iPhone. It talks and it's free.
Motion X will crush an iPhone battery - at least that's my experience.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:25 AM   #10
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lounge View Post
I think your battery and the notification issue are related. I only have those two issues when I run "off map", and it's worse with weak signal. I don't think I have had either issue when the maps are cached.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #11
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lounge View Post
Yes, of course you're right that's why my tank bag is wired with a cigarette plug and USB adapter to power the iPhone.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #12
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
I've searched for a iPhone app thread and didn't find one so I'll get one up in Shiny Things. If another one shows up it can merge.
One of my apps is Trail Maps by National Geographic. The maps are nice: aerial, grid, and topo, and it's got a locate function and will scroll in all directions. Around here the mountains block cell coverage most of the time so I may need to go back to a Garmin for backcountry navigation.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:55 AM   #13
Nataraj85
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Awesome - i don't have an iPhone, but if I did this would be very useful - thanks for sharing....
Nataraj85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #14
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
I've been using MotionX for years. It's great!

If you ever ride off road and have an iPhone, you should buy this app.

Be sure to use the built in map downloads feature to get a zoomed out version of everywhere you might ever go (I downloaded the road map of all of australia at zoom levels 1 to 9, it's only 9MB and has all the major towns and roads), and then download zoomed in maps of where you're actually riding (say, zoom level 10 to 14, both topographic and road map).

The topo map is handy, but the road map is easier to read - especially if you're just glancing down while riding. And for some really remote areas the topo map isn't available at close in zoom levels.

For navigating trails with no map, you can use the google satellite map while you have WiFi or 3G to place waypoints at key points along the trail, perhaps with labels like "turn south here", and then use the compass to navigate to the next waypoint (it will show you a marker for the direction you're travelling in and another marker pointing to the target waypoint, as well as remaining distance/estimated arrival time).

Re: battery life, for me it only drains the battery when it's being displayed on the screen or when it's recording a track in the background. I usually have it plugged into power, but I once got about 6 hours of battery life running on battery, recording a track, with the screen turned off. I'm sure you could get it to last days if you don't need to record a track. Weeks if you power it down when not in use.

If the road/firetrail/singletrack isn't on the map, I record it while riding, and when I've got time head over to openstreetmap.org and add it to the map.

abhibeckert screwed with this post 11-17-2011 at 04:04 PM
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #15
mrfixit54016
Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer: 613
Advancing Map Position

When I have used my MotionX app, it seems to follow the track until it gets to the edge of the screen and then my triangle cursor drives right off the map. I have to advance the position of the map myself to bring the cursor back into view.

Is there a way to set the app to automatically follow you while you are moving?
1983 XL100S, 1980 XL80S, and 1985 ATC250ES
mrfixit54016 is offline   Reply With Quote