ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
ericw OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Garmin Basecamp (Mapsource) for iPad?

Hi All - I like Garmin's Basecamp program - which is just the Apple-compatible version of Garmin's Mapsource. Apple compatible meaning Apple computer compatible not iPad compatible.

Basecamp (Mapsource) allows me to import/export my library of .gpx track files and then edit/create new track files for trip planning, etc. I can then email them to my iPhone for use on the bike with another God-send, the Motion-X GPS app for iPhone.

My question is: Has anybody found an iPad app that has about the same map editing capabilities as Basecamp (Mapsource)? I saw that Backpacker magazine is pushing something called "Mapmaker" but it is so new that there doesn't seem to be any info/feedback on it yet.

In an effort to be pro-active, PLEASE don't hijack this thread and argue about whether the iPad/iPhone/Droid/anySmartphone can operate as a GPS with or without cell service (ugggh). The only thing I would like is some direction/advice on is finding something like Basecamp (Mapsource) as an app for the iPad. I only need it for map editing on the iPad at home, NOT for using the iPad as a GPS. (Thanks in advance)

Any help would really be appreciated and, Happy Thanksgiving!

ericw screwed with this post 03-28-2014 at 05:55 PM
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,185
Thumb

Time for you to lead the way.

Some feedback on it here: http://facebook.com/backpackergpstrails

Didn't find how much it costs, seems it is no longer free.

EDIT: costs $9.99
Old 11-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
ericw OP
Gnarly Adventurer

iPad GPS App

Thanks for the lead 250senuf. Unfortunately, that link took me to Backpacker's GPSTrails app, which is for iPhone only, I believe.

I'm looking for an iPad app.

The "Mapmaker" app that Backpacker has is for the iPad but there isn't even info on whether this let's you create tracks or routes or both. Thanks tho'!

The search continues...
Old 11-25-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
Hi All - I've been through a few Garmins... with disasterous results, but that's a story for another day.

One good thing that's come out of my Garmin GPS mis-adventures has been Garmin's Basecamp program - which is just the Apple-compatible version of Garmin's Mapsource. Apple compatible meaning Apple computer compatible not iPad compatible.

Basecamp (Mapsource) allows me to import/export my library of .gpx track files and then edit/create new track files for trip planning, etc. I can then email them to my iPhone for use on the bike with another God-send, the Motion-X GPS app for iPhone.

My question is: Has anybody found an iPad app that has about the same map editing capabilities as Basecamp (Mapsource)? I saw that Backpacker magazine is pushing something called "Mapmaker" but it is so new that there doesn't seem to be any info/feedback on it yet.

In an effort to be pro-active, PLEASE don't hijack this thread and argue about whether the iPad/iPhone/Droid/anySmartphone can operate as a GPS with or without cell service (ugggh). The only thing I would like is some direction/advice on is finding something like Basecamp (Mapsource) as an app for the iPad. I only need it for map editing on the iPad at home, NOT for using the iPad as a GPS. (Thanks in advance)

Any help would really be appreciated and, Happy Thanksgiving!
I don't understand why you keep referring to "Basecamp (Mapsource)"? They are two very different tools optimized for two different generations of gps. There is a BaseCamp for PC Windows too. It's not a Mac only application.

That being said, I have not heard of anything like BaseCamp on the iPad.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
Euskadi
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I don't understand why you keep referring to "Basecamp (Mapsource)"? They are two very different tools optimized for two different generations of gps. There is a BaseCamp for PC Windows too. It's not a Mac only application.

That being said, I have not heard of anything like BaseCamp on the iPad.
Basecamp AND mapsource, they will work with any GARMIN that syn, they are not for two different generation of gps. Base camp it is much more deep then mapsource. I do have the to programs on my loptop.
Regards
Euskadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskadi View Post
Basecamp AND mapsource, they will work with any GARMIN that syn, they are not for two different generation of gps.
I didn't say they would not work; I said each program is optimized for different generations of gps. Basecamp has features which really work well with Montana/62/78/Oregons, and Mapsource works better with the 60/76CSx series.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:10 AM   #7
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
.....each program is optimized for different generations of gps. Basecamp has features which really work well with Montana/62/78/Oregons, and Mapsource works better with the 60/76CSx series.
You are correct!

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:09 AM   #8
Schussboelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Let's revive this!

I'm kind of in teh market for the same stuff.
I'm planning a trip and a lot of routes for my Zumo.
I would like to be able to edit them (split, add waypoints, redirect) them on teh road with my (new lightweight) iPad Air.
Data transfer and connectivity should not be an issue with an SD Card reader attached to the iPad, right?
Schussboelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
ericw OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the clarification Emmbeedee. Not wanting to split hairs, aren't they (Mapsource/Basecamp) both, in essence, map-editing applications on a PC/Mac for the Garmin GPS? Anyway, that's all I'm using it for.

To keep things simple, my goal is to edit and create tracks on a map interface - on an iPad - and then export it as a .gpx file into a (non-Garmin) GPS.

Maybe someone has used something other than a Garmin map-editing product in the iPad?

Thanks again!
Old 11-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #10
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification Emmbeedee. Not wanting to split hairs, aren't they (Mapsource/Basecamp) both, in essence, map-editing applications on a PC/Mac for the Garmin GPS? Anyway, that's all I'm using it for.
BaseCamp is much more powerful because it allows you to see the maps installed on compatible gps units as if they were installed on the computer. It would be awesome if Garmin made an iPad version of BaseCamp.

Mapsource is obsolete. Garmin is on record saying it will no longer be developed.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #11
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,293
There are mapping products for the iOS that will allow you to do routing on non-Garmin maps and export routes or tracks that you could eventually be used on the GPS. But if you're expecting a port of MapSource or Basecamp that will do all the Garmin platform-specific stuff such as build mapsets, produce GDB files, copy routes/tracks back and forth between the GPS and the PC, etc., I think that will be a long time coming, if ever, and if it does come, it will probably be from Garmin. A port of Basecamp between the OSX and iOS would be a huge undertaking.

You might get more useful information if you define what you want to do with the iPad.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
ericw OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have to say I haven't even looked at Mapsource for probably 5+ years.

Unfortunately, I'm getting kicked off my wife's Basecamp-equipped Mac and have to search for other map editing digs and I'm hoping the iPad+app will be a possibility to create/export .gpx files.

Backpacker Magazine (w/Trimble?) has supposedly released their iPad compatible Mapmaker program. But it must be so new there's zero feedback except for Backpacker magazine's intro on their website. I sent the app developers an email asking them specifics to see if Mapmaker will work - but haven't heard back. If it's lacking on features, nice thing about a lot of these apps is they seem to move pretty fast on upgrades and other types of development.

Hi Markjenn - What I'm trying to do is: 1. Import/export tracks, 2. View those tracks overlayed on a map, and 3. Edit those tracks (draw tracks / join tracks / drop waypoints). A nice addition may be the ability to toggle w/sat images to "ground-truth" my track work.

Well, if not this Backpacker Magazine "Mapmaker" program, maybe we'll find something out there - I'm sure I can't be the only one looking for iPad-compatible mapping goodies!

ericw screwed with this post 11-25-2011 at 08:18 PM
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #13
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi Markjenn - What I'm trying to do is: 1. Import/export tracks, 2. View those tracks overlayed on a map, and 3. Edit those tracks (draw tracks / join tracks / drop waypoints). A nice addition may be the ability to toggle w/sat images to "ground-truth" my track work.
It sounds like the heart of your problem is getting routes/tracks in/out of the GPS and then converting them over to a universal format such as GPX. From there, I would think any number of iPad mapping programs could do what you want.

You have the connectivity issue of getting from the GPS storage to the iPad storage and then the need for some kind of application to read Garmin's proprietary track log format and convert it. I'm not aware of anything for the iPad that will do these tasks for you. Sorry.

If you're not hung up on the iPad for its own sake, often the easiest way around these sorts of things is simply to buy a super-cheap used laptop or netbook for travels - then you can run Basecamp and have the whole enchilada. As stated earlier, Basecamp is available on the PC and in fact, is Garmin's choice for mapping apps moving forward.

- Mark
Old 11-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
It sounds like the heart of your problem is getting routes/tracks in/out of the GPS and then converting them over to a universal format such as GPX. From there, I would think any number of iPad mapping programs could do what you want.

You have the connectivity issue of getting from the GPS storage to the iPad storage and then the need for some kind of application to read Garmin's proprietary track log format and convert it. I'm not aware of anything for the iPad that will do these tasks for you. Sorry.

If you're not hung up on the iPad for its own sake, often the easiest way around these sorts of things is simply to buy a super-cheap used laptop or netbook for travels - then you can run Basecamp and have the whole enchilada. As stated earlier, Basecamp is available on the PC and in fact, is Garmin's choice for mapping apps moving forward.

- Mark
You're correct in that the biggest issue is getting connectivity between the iPad and Garmin GPS's. I'm not quite sure about the "Garmin proprietary track log format...". All of Garmin's current line (and most previous USB models) automatically save onboard data to GPX format and that's the only format used for "transfer".

Quote:
I have to say I haven't even looked at Mapsource for probably 5+ years.

Unfortunately, I'm getting kicked off my wife's Basecamp-equipped Mac and have to search for other map editing digs and I'm hoping the iPad+app will be a possibility to create/export .gpx files.

Backpacker Magazine (w/Trimble?) has supposedly released their iPad compatible Mapmaker program. But it must be so new there's zero feedback except for Backpacker magazine's intro on their website. I sent the app developers an email asking them specifics to see if Mapmaker will work - but haven't heard back. If it's lacking on features, nice thing about a lot of these apps is they seem to move pretty fast on upgrades and other types of development.

Well, if not this Backpacker Magazine "Mapmaker" program, maybe we'll find something out there - I'm sure I can't be the only one looking for iPad-compatible mapping goodies!
I don't see anything in the Backpacker (Trimble) Map Maker app that will enable you to move your data from the iPad to the GPS. I doubt that Trimble is going to make any type of hardware adapter for Garmin GPS's.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 11-26-2011 at 01:15 PM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #15
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I'm not quite sure about the "Garmin proprietary track log format...". All of Garmin's current line (and most previous USB models) automatically save onboard data to GPX format and that's the only format used for "transfer".
At least with the older GPS's I use, I thought Garmin's track data format was proprietary, but if they're saving to GPX now as the native format, that's good news.

- Mark