User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
señormoto OP
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
F800GS vs HP2-Enduro ?

I've recently fallen in love with the HP2 and would love to know how it stacks up to the F800GS. Seems it is around 386lbs with 108hp, 74ft-lb: not that much different than the specs for the F8 (little more HP but not a crazy amount). Yet all the used ones on the market, since it's not made anymore, are all stupidly expensive! Clearly I am not going to sell my loaded up F8 for a used HP2, but I would like to know about the following comparisons:

offroad ability: weight distribution, stock suspension quality, crash protection, nimble/not-nimble feel, etc
long distance touring: bigger gas tanks, racks, seats, windscreens, mpg, etc
is it a good all around bike like the f8 or is it more of a specific tool for specific jobs

Anyone ride both and care to share your experience?
Old 12-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by thematt View Post
I've recently fallen in love with the HP2 and would love to know how it stacks up to the F800GS. Seems it is around 386lbs with 108hp, 74ft-lb: not that much different than the specs for the F8 (little more HP but not a crazy amount). Yet all the used ones on the market, since it's not made anymore, are all stupidly expensive! Clearly I am not going to sell my loaded up F8 for a used HP2, but I would like to know about the following comparisons:

offroad ability: weight distribution, stock suspension quality, crash protection, nimble/not-nimble feel, etc
long distance touring: bigger gas tanks, racks, seats, windscreens, mpg, etc
is it a good all around bike like the f8 or is it more of a specific tool for specific jobs

Anyone ride both and care to share your experience?
own both..... love both....... dirtbike on steriods vs traveling machine

stock suspension the HP2 lacks.... air rear.... although some love it....
crashability? easily buy a set of crashbars
nimble.... the HP2 wins! amazing how light weight it feels.... crack the throttle and is on the rear wheel. steering tighter as well
long distance? ask helge pederson or the guy that was at TT the other day something like 50k kms......
bigger tanks are avalible and they seem to be enough for more people
racks.... pack light!!! the hp2's do have a weak rear subframe
seats - one word - renazco (I swear you send the guy a 2x4 and he'll send you a lazy boy)
screens... K.I.S.S. but yes
MPG its a stripped down basic 1200gs with less weight so overall very good

personal opinion here: the HP2 is my next choice for a RTW bike..... I was going to go with a HP2 for my trip but could only trade my old bike in on a F800GS and so there I went.... the HP2 however is an absolute hooligan bike.... badass power like a cagged up lion. no passenger pegs are a bummer but they can be added..... which I kinda like the way they detach. weak rear subframe is an issue but some basic packing and slimmed down kit plus reinforcments should have you rolling with no problem. The nice idea behind the opposed cyclinders are the easier maintenacnce. adjustment wise. in the end.... I am still at even toss up between the 800 and the hp2. I love my 800 but i also love the hp2. the main reason why the hp2 fits the bill for RTW easier for me however is the climb on and ride ability. the stock hp2 range.... SUCKS!!!! plus you need more things to make the hp2 RTW ready than you would on a 800. this being said however the amount of time i spent preparing my 800 i could have spent preparing an hp2. I have often times thought (even now) to sell my 800 for a hp2 but for me my 800 has grown on me..... the good times and the bad times we have spent together.... and ultimately people like lostrider, twalcom, bitubo, TT etc can show that the 800 can be put to use as a heavy highly capable dirtbike like the hp2.

pictures for thought

RTW ready

and i stand corrected.... 80,000 MILES on this beast...

this is showing the opposite how these two machines can serve both purposes

Before this starts into a typical bike thread playing blames I wanna say that talking to doug (RTWdoug) the other day really opened my eyes.... we had both just gotten back from magadan russia.... nice once in our evening together did we really mention that one bike was better than the other..... for an adventure or RTW journey I would say that is lies in the people and places that you see. Who knows how many times i wanted to trade a local mongolian for there 100cc motorcycle.... its the ride... not what you ride....

Old 12-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
señormoto OP
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
own both..... love both....... dirtbike on steriods vs traveling machine

stock suspension the HP2 lacks.... air rear.... although some love it....
crashability? easily buy a set of crashbars
nimble.... the HP2 wins! amazing how light weight it feels.... crack the throttle and is on the rear wheel. steering tighter as well
long distance? ask helge pederson or the guy that was at TT the other day something like 50k kms......
bigger tanks are avalible and they seem to be enough for more people
racks.... pack light!!! the hp2's do have a weak rear subframe
seats - one word - renazco (I swear you send the guy a 2x4 and he'll send you a lazy boy)
screens... K.I.S.S. but yes
MPG its a stripped down basic 1200gs with less weight so overall very good

personal opinion here: the HP2 is my next choice for a RTW bike..... I was going to go with a HP2 for my trip but could only trade my old bike in on a F800GS and so there I went.... the HP2 however is an absolute hooligan bike.... badass power like a cagged up lion. no passenger pegs are a bummer but they can be added..... which I kinda like the way they detach. weak rear subframe is an issue but some basic packing and slimmed down kit plus reinforcments should have you rolling with no problem. The nice idea behind the opposed cyclinders are the easier maintenacnce. adjustment wise. in the end.... I am still at even toss up between the 800 and the hp2. I love my 800 but i also love the hp2. the main reason why the hp2 fits the bill for RTW easier for me however is the climb on and ride ability. the stock hp2 range.... SUCKS!!!! plus you need more things to make the hp2 RTW ready than you would on a 800. this being said however the amount of time i spent preparing my 800 i could have spent preparing an hp2. I have often times thought (even now) to sell my 800 for a hp2 but for me my 800 has grown on me..... the good times and the bad times we have spent together.... and ultimately people like lostrider, twalcom, bitubo, TT etc can show that the 800 can be put to use as a heavy highly capable dirtbike like the hp2.

pictures for thought

RTW ready

and i stand corrected.... 80,000 MILES on this beast...

this is showing the opposite how these two machines can serve both purposes

Before this starts into a typical bike thread playing blames I wanna say that talking to doug (RTWdoug) the other day really opened my eyes.... we had both just gotten back from magadan russia.... nice once in our evening together did we really mention that one bike was better than the other..... for an adventure or RTW journey I would say that is lies in the people and places that you see. Who knows how many times i wanted to trade a local mongolian for there 100cc motorcycle.... its the ride... not what you ride....

Great response, that's exactly what I was looking for
Old 12-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
conrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
I almost bought an HP2 a few years ago. Loved every thing about it: weight, power, looks. Was prepared to have less comfort than on the Adventure and would have carried additional fuel to increase the range of the small tank.

The one thing that kept me from doing it was the requirement for premium fuel. No way I could travel around South America with it.

RTW on an HP2 ? You must be kidding.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrado View Post
I almost bought an HP2 a few years ago. Loved every thing about it: weight, power, looks. Was prepared to have less comfort than on the Adventure and would have carried additional fuel to increase the range of the small tank.

The one thing that kept me from doing it was the requirement for premium fuel. No way I could travel around South America with it.

RTW on an HP2 ? You must be kidding.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=HP2+Low+octane

Old 12-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
conrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
Funny, but I'm kind of old fashioned and trust the engineers that developed the engine more than the Internet.

YMMV, of course.

conrado screwed with this post 12-10-2011 at 03:44 PM
conrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
SportFaller
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer: 666
When I realized my riding style (and my available time for longer trips) shifted to more dirt, less touring, I sold my 1200GSA for a smaller bike. In my head I went round and round between an 800 and a HP2, I could get a brand new 800 for the same price as a well equipped, low miles HP2.

The final choice came down to the wet clutch (and the hopes of a recluse at some point) and 2up comforts of the 800gs.

I'd love to ride a HP2 at some point, but then I'd be wanting to trade off the 800!

SportFaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
I currently own both. They are quite different animals... The HP2 is an awesome off road machine. With some work and dollars it could well be the ultimate world touring machine. The F8 is very good, but under-sprung and under-powered compared to the HP2. It is a nice bike (the F8), but it is not in the same zip code as the HP2.

The HP2 feels much lighter than the F8, and it can be pointed at just about anything you would contemplate with a dirt bike. The F8 is very good, but not as confidence inspiring by a long margin. Just by seat of the pants impression, forget the numbers, the HP2 is an amazing motorcycle.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
rudiemoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17

love my hp2
rudiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:23 AM   #10
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
I've not ridden the HP2 (probably my most "want to try" bike out there). I can well imagine the reports of it feeling considerably lighter than the F8 being true, having ridden both the GS12 and GSA and knowing how well (low down) the boxer engine carries the weight. The result of course being it feeling much lighter than the F8 even if the spec sheet numbers suggest there's not a lot in it.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
deguoren
该出手时就出手

Oddometer: 156
jebus! just checked the prices here in Germany. A HP2 doesn't go for below 14.000 Euro
I got my second hand 800 GS for 8500!
Do what you love, and do it often. If you don’t like something, change it. If you don’t like your job, quit. Travel often; getting lost will help you find yourself. Some opportunities only come once; seize them. Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them, so go out and start creating. Live your dream, and wear your passion. Life is short."
deguoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #12
wipe-out
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by deguoren View Post
jebus! just checked the prices here in Germany. A HP2 doesn't go for below 14.000 Euro
I got my second hand 800 GS for 8500!
yep. insane...

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2
Old 11-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #13
Joseph42s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
I wanted to revive this thread.

I am in the market to upgrade and I am thinking about the HP2.

My budget is 10-15k. So either a used f800gs or Hp2.

Or try and find a slightly used 1200gs that you can slowly turn into an Hp2 ( i know you cant get all the way there).

My thoughts
: either bike probably needs new suspension. Hp2 because of age and miles, f800gs because everyone says they are too squishy (195lb rider).

F800gs needs new wheels

Both probably need a rediculous amount of touratech or similar guards etc.

Is the hp2 to old at this point?

I once owned a 1997 Toyota Supra. That car was awesome in its heyday. I was fortunate enough to only ay 35k for it slightly used. Drove it for 7 years and then sold it for 36k. Similar scenario to the Hp2 crowd. However I was glad to be rid of it. I felt like I timed it right and new cars and new technology had come on that just made that car seem old. I guess I dont want to be suckered into the HP2 on the backend of its curve.
Joseph42s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #14
oldfool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
hp2 or 800

Of course I am bias as I own an hp2. I have ridden a couple of 800's as loaner bikes from the dealer, not gs's. They aren't even close. I don't think there is anywhere the hp won't spank the 800. The reason the old hp's cost so much is that they are few and an all around great motorcycle. In five years the hp2 will still be worth more money. In ten years even more. Don't trip get the hp2 if you can and you will know where the extra money went. Richard
oldfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #15
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,650
For off-road get the HP2. It doesn't need any Touratech stuff. I own an F800 and have ridden a friends HP2 numerous times. They are not in the same universe. If however you want a more comfortable road bike and decent dual sport the F800 is great.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote