User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
Xskydiver OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Devil's highway

I'm really lazy about writing these things. This was a pretty cool trip so I thought I'd share.
I tried this trip last year from the opposite direction and my clutch blew up a few miles onto the dirt. After an exhaustive battle with BMW they finally did the right thing and replaced the clutch...but that's a different story. This one starts with a simple desire for redemption. The devil would not best me again.

It was a little chilly at six in the morning. I wasn't looking forward to the interstate at these temperatures.

This was the first gas stop. Thankfully it had already warmed up quite a bit. Nice tail bag right?

This is Kitt Peak. It's an observatory run by U of A on the way from Tucson to Ajo. About a second after I took this we rounded the bend and were met with a sea of red and blue lights covering the highway. It was interesting trying to brake, downshift, move over, and not drop my phone all at the same time. It looked like a Border Patrol agent and a smuggler had collided with one another. Both vehicles were on the side of the highway and smashed up. I hope the agent wasn't injured.

More to follow...

Xskydiver screwed with this post 12-24-2011 at 12:20 PM Reason: fix pics
Xskydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
Xskydiver OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This was the scene from Tucson to Ajo. I was pretty grateful for having a bunch of music on my phone. Except for the near death experience near Kitt peak the ride to Ajo was pretty boring.

This is Alan. There were supposed to be more of us but we all know how that goes...

Xskydiver screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 09:16 AM Reason: Spelling
Old 12-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
Xskydiver OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After a quick stop in Ajo at the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge office to pick up our permits we headed back to the start of the Diablo. We put our flags on (to be legal) and shed some layers (to be cool). The temperature was about 70 degrees already. I knew there was a reason we were doing this in the winter.

Xskydiver screwed with this post 12-23-2011 at 09:44 PM Reason: Add pic
Old 12-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Say WHAT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xskydiver View Post
It was interesting trying to brake, downshift, move over, and not drop my phone all at the same time.
More to follow...

"not drop your phone" ?

You were holding a phone __while__ riding a motorcycle on a public
road ?

The Darwin Awards called, they'd like to set up an appointment with you.
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
Ummm....me thinks he's using his phone to take the pics....

We see lots of folks take pic's while riding so......cut this dude some slack there guy
Old 12-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Xskydiver OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Continuing on...

Here's a few pictures of Bate's Well. It's pretty much the first notable place you come to. The road was pretty good up to here. I was wondering what all the fuss was about. Sure, I had seen some sand last year on the other end, but this was a pretty well maintained road. A little rocky but nothing to think twice about. I had downloaded a list of sights to see along the road. The list noted that Bate's Well would be a good place to air down your tires. Air down, why? This road was cake.

Xskydiver screwed with this post 12-24-2011 at 06:49 PM Reason: Spelling
Old 12-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
tucsondude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
wait you didnt do this yesterday?

I think it was the coldest day in the last 9 months?

i thought about riding up to phx to buy a new helmet, and said f that... going to go monday.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,773
Devils Highway

You lucky dog-----------I've been plotting to ride this road along the Mexican border for years.
Rode down there once--and was turned away in Ajo---as they said motorcycles weren't allowed.

I've called them several times since-----and would get conflicting answers to whether or not I could ride my motorcycle across the preserve.

Then the one final pisser 2 years later----I got an OK from some lady there over the phone and I thought---alright I'm finally going to get to ride it ----and right before I left I called again to confirm and she still said it was OK---but wait she said---let me talk to my supervisor---------who then turned me down.

Man was I aggravated-glad you got to-------hope you got good pics

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
Xskydiver OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
You lucky dog-----------I've been plotting to ride this road along the Mexican border for years.
Rode down there once--and was turned away in Ajo---as they said motorcycles weren't allowed.

I've called them several times since-----and would get conflicting answers to whether or not I could ride my motorcycle across the preserve.

Then the one final pisser 2 years later----I got an OK from some lady there over the phone and I thought---alright I'm finally going to get to ride it ----and right before I left I called again to confirm and she still said it was OK---but wait she said---let me talk to my supervisor---------who then turned me down.

BigDog
I was told the same thing last year which it's why I did it the other direction last year. The Cabeza Prieta NWR had a long standing "policy" of not issuing permits to motorcycles. The Marines in Yuma however, have no such policy so I got my permit from them last year. After asking a few questions and not liking the answers, I got the Blue Ribbon Coalition involved who brought in the AMA. We were able to find specific wording in the travel management plan allowing motorcycle access. Then after a few more months of the refuge manager convincing his bosses to do the right thing they finally issued a press release stating the refuge would be reversing the policy and begin issuing the permits. Thanks to the newly appointed manager Sid Slone for making it happen.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #10
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,773
Quote:
Then after a few more months of the refuge manager convincing his bosses to do the right thing they finally issued a press release stating the refuge would be reversing the policy and begin issuing the permits. Thanks to the newly appointed manager Sid Slone for making it happen.

Thanks so much for the info------I never took it off my bucket list--just shoved it down a bit----by next plan of attack was to get a permit and never tell them what vehicle I would take---or fudge about it-----maybe change my mind what to take ??????

I'll be down that way again next year--and give it a shot. I've been all over the border down there---all over---just never got to ride the "El Camino Del Diablo".

By the way----how I found out about this trail----was from a guy who rode it solo on a Honda XR650R---it's still on AdvRider somewhere.

Found it: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=camino+diablo

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
Xskydiver OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks so much for the info------I never took it off my bucket list--just shoved it down a bit----by next plan of attack was to get a permit and never tell them what vehicle I would take---or fudge about it-----maybe change my mind what to take ??????

I'll be down that way again next year--and give it a shot. I've been all over the border down there---all over---just never got to ride the "El Camino Del Diablo".

By the way----how I found out about this trail----was from a guy who rode it solo on a Honda XR650R---it's still on AdvRider somewhere.

Found it: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=camino+diablo

BigDog
Let me know if you want some company when you get here. I'll probably be ready to do it again by then.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #12
Superhawk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
I was told the same thing last year which it's why I did it the other direction last year. The Cabeza Prieta NWR had a long standing "policy" of not issuing permits to motorcycles. The Marines in Yuma however, have no such policy so I got my permit from them last year. After asking a few questions and not liking the answers, I got the Blue Ribbon Coalition involved who brought in the AMA. We were able to find specific wording in the travel management plan allowing motorcycle access. Then after a few more months of the refuge manager convincing his bosses to do the right thing they finally issued a press release stating the refuge would be reversing the policy and begin issuing the permits. Thanks to the newly appointed manager Sid Slone for making it happen.
Nice work !! and great RR !
Superhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #13
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer: 3,672
Quote:
That's awesome! When I was stationed in Yuma, I ventured in along El Camino Diablo a little ways down the established trail on my DR350. Wasn't supposed to be there, but... I only traveled a few miles since I didn't want to anger the Feds. I would really love to make the full ride.

Nice going, looking forward to the rest of the report.

-Joe

Trust and Respect take years to earn, but can be lost in a moment.

Life's too short to hold a grudge. -Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
This may help

Quote:

BigDog
http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges...WR.5.18.11.pdf
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #15
Nightstalker
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,928
Thanks for the report. Got a ride planned for next month with EsconDeasy.

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote