ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
LAYNFRM OP
slightly tarded
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Denham Springs, la, usa
Oddometer: 68
adventure headlight dual 4" HID light swap

anyone swapped a couple 4" (or larger for bottom light) HIDs in their factory headlight housing? i've got a couple WARN 4" HIDs they gave us through desert racing sponsorship, and i'm really thinking about keeping the factory headlight housing, but modifying the inside via holesaw to house two lights. might consider a projector headlight from a car up top as the low beam, and the WARN light for the high beam. i don't like the look of the rallye style fairings with two little projectors, so that idea is out. i need to measure when i get home from the firehouse to see if i can fit anything larger in there, and if the WARN light is too thick. i'm wanting to keep it fairly factory looking. i already have some auxilliary lights with the triple mount from our fellow ADVer, and plan to swap some LED bars onto it from my other sponsor, Black Knight Lighting.

basically, it'd be setup similar to the trailtech X2, but behind the factory headlight cover and windshield. the brighter, the better!

and yes, i've searched, but didn't see anything i liked, and touratech is too expensive, especially since i already have/can easily (cheaply) obtain most of the lights anyways.
__________________
05 Kawasaki KLX110 plated D/S
05 KTM 950 Adventure FOR SALE
LAYNFRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Sunnyvale, California
Oddometer: 6,095
Single HID light in the lower would work but two probably wont be very good. Too much heat will peel the inside of the reflector
__________________
Speed bumps never seem to make me go any faster
Qwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .
 
slackmeyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Oddometer: 2,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAYNFRM View Post
anyone swapped a couple 4" (or larger for bottom light) HIDs in their factory headlight housing? i've got a couple WARN 4" HIDs they gave us through desert racing sponsorship, and i'm really thinking about keeping the factory headlight housing, but modifying the inside via holesaw to house two lights. might consider a projector headlight from a car up top as the low beam, and the WARN light for the high beam. i don't like the look of the rallye style fairings with two little projectors, so that idea is out. i need to measure when i get home from the firehouse to see if i can fit anything larger in there, and if the WARN light is too thick. i'm wanting to keep it fairly factory looking. i already have some auxilliary lights with the triple mount from our fellow ADVer, and plan to swap some LED bars onto it from my other sponsor, Black Knight Lighting.

basically, it'd be setup similar to the trailtech X2, but behind the factory headlight cover and windshield. the brighter, the better!

and yes, i've searched, but didn't see anything i liked, and touratech is too expensive, especially since i already have/can easily (cheaply) obtain most of the lights anyways.

I've been thinking about it, and I even have an extra headlight housing to play with, but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. Seems like the best way would be to get a good projector headlight with the cutoff mask included, and fit it into the lower headlight area, leaving the upper parking light alone. Check out theretrofitsource.com. They sell a 1 light kit for bikes, looks like the projector is 3-4" diameter including the mounting plate. $150 for one light, including the HID bulb and ballast. . . . pretty good deal for good light, but I'm a cheap bastard, so I haven't done it yet.
__________________
Zak

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Austin, Texas, USA
Oddometer: 3,181
Someone on here cut the back off the stock housing and mounted two Hella 90mm projectors in there. Complete lights, not just bulbs in the stock reflectors. Seemed a great approach to me.

I can just almost remember who did it. Dang it. There were photos and everything.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,073
When I put the Euro light in my old 04 950 I cut the clear cover off of the stock light and I still have it sitting on the work bench. Plan was to fit something else in behind it. I don't have the bike any more but now I would consider installing either two LED's or an LED/HID combo. HID low beam LED high beam. Low beam stays on all the time, LED high beam would be instant on and off...no need to wait for the ballast to fully energize the light.

Consider a Baja Designs 4" Fuego HID in pod light form with a Fog pattern for your low beam and run a Rigid industries 2x3 LED for high beam.
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus
 
Chuckracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Lowville, NY
Oddometer: 7,307
Wasn't Boatman going to do something like this with a couple of Hella light modules?
__________________
2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure
2001 Scorpa SY250

Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
lowes48
Gnarly Adventurer
 
lowes48's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Wilkesboro, NC
Oddometer: 227
I'm interested in this approach myself. I was hoping there was a fairly simple mod that could be done with the stock US housing vs. buying the Euro housing then upgrading it with HIDs. Looking forward to seeing some ideas!
lowes48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:14 AM   #8
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!
 
Boatman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Petersburg, NY and Woodbridge, VA
Oddometer: 9,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
Wasn't Boatman going to do something like this with a couple of Hella light modules?

Yeah, he was/is, all the parts are sitting on the shelf ready for cutting and assembling. Just haven't had the time.

Hella projectors are what I have and then after I got them to fit I was going for HID.




http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=1800
__________________
08 KTM 950 SE, 09 KTM 950 SE, 04 KTM 950 ADV, 10 Husaberg FE390, 66 Kawasaki B8S Super 150

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
GrenDesb
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Québec
Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Someone on here cut the back off the stock housing and mounted two Hella 90mm projectors in there. Complete lights, not just bulbs in the stock reflectors. Seemed a great approach to me.

I can just almost remember who did it. Dang it. There were photos and everything.
Maybe this thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650327&highlight=projector

But pics are all gone.
GrenDesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated
 
Narsisco Lopez's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Golden (Showers), Colorado
Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrenDesb View Post
Maybe this thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650327&highlight=projector

But pics are all gone.
Yeah... looks like his Photobucket account expired... drag.
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
LAYNFRM OP
slightly tarded
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Denham Springs, la, usa
Oddometer: 68
I think my warn 4" might be too deep to mount properly as the top light, so I might pull the fairings and check it it one day soon. The bottom, I'm thinking maybe a Black Knight Lighting 4" LED bar, their 5 LED light, or maybe even a RIGID D2 to compliment the RIGID 6" bar I'm thinking would go nice directly under the headlight where the little screen area is if I can figure a mount out.
__________________
05 Kawasaki KLX110 plated D/S
05 KTM 950 Adventure FOR SALE
LAYNFRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #12
ironworks
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Oddometer: 17
I was thinking about using the 5.75" JW speaker LEDS. We have installed them in quite a few cars with great success and they only draw 2 amps.
ironworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:24 AM   #13
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny
 
Sporting Wood's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Horneytown, NC
Oddometer: 861
I found that having HID low beam, while brighter at night, tended to become annoying in that sometimes the ballast would take a crap when I started up the bike. Solution was to add the euro switch giving the ability to off on but that only worked at night when I could see that the low was off. Ended up just swapping back to an incandescent for low beam keeping the HID high projector.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:28 AM   #14
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,073
I pulled out my old 950 headlight that I cut down to the clear plastic. A 2x2 rigid LED fits nicely in the top and I suspect a 2x3 would fit nicely in the bottom. The rigid lights are shorter than the stock headlight housing so you could make brackets and mount them in place of the stock headlight unit while retaing the stock plastic so that the headlight wouldnt look too odd at first glance. between the two lights you would draw about 30 watts iirc. Same light spectrum as the HID, probably not quite the same distance but also a fraction of the cost of a good HID, no ballast issues, instant on, no bulbs to burn out (Yes HID bulbs can go bad). etc etc.
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER
 
MrSandman818's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: El Paso, Republic of Texas
Oddometer: 804
They have 70 and 100watt hid ballast and bulbs out now. Go big or go home! Im going home because I'm only running a 55watt HID bulb/ballast for my low beam and a 27watt halogen for my highbeam. I know, I suck.

I do rock the 4" amber spot light setup from Rigid Industries on my crash bars. There awesome in bad weather and traffic
__________________
-Chrome don't getcha home, but carbon fiber sure is fancy
2005 KTM 950 Adventure
2005 Yamaha YZ250F
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014