User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
LAYNFRM OP
slightly tarded

Oddometer: 68
adventure headlight dual 4" HID light swap

anyone swapped a couple 4" (or larger for bottom light) HIDs in their factory headlight housing? i've got a couple WARN 4" HIDs they gave us through desert racing sponsorship, and i'm really thinking about keeping the factory headlight housing, but modifying the inside via holesaw to house two lights. might consider a projector headlight from a car up top as the low beam, and the WARN light for the high beam. i don't like the look of the rallye style fairings with two little projectors, so that idea is out. i need to measure when i get home from the firehouse to see if i can fit anything larger in there, and if the WARN light is too thick. i'm wanting to keep it fairly factory looking. i already have some auxilliary lights with the triple mount from our fellow ADVer, and plan to swap some LED bars onto it from my other sponsor, Black Knight Lighting.

basically, it'd be setup similar to the trailtech X2, but behind the factory headlight cover and windshield. the brighter, the better!

and yes, i've searched, but didn't see anything i liked, and touratech is too expensive, especially since i already have/can easily (cheaply) obtain most of the lights anyways.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,095
Single HID light in the lower would work but two probably wont be very good. Too much heat will peel the inside of the reflector
Old 01-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAYNFRM View Post
anyone swapped a couple 4" (or larger for bottom light) HIDs in their factory headlight housing? i've got a couple WARN 4" HIDs they gave us through desert racing sponsorship, and i'm really thinking about keeping the factory headlight housing, but modifying the inside via holesaw to house two lights. might consider a projector headlight from a car up top as the low beam, and the WARN light for the high beam. i don't like the look of the rallye style fairings with two little projectors, so that idea is out. i need to measure when i get home from the firehouse to see if i can fit anything larger in there, and if the WARN light is too thick. i'm wanting to keep it fairly factory looking. i already have some auxilliary lights with the triple mount from our fellow ADVer, and plan to swap some LED bars onto it from my other sponsor, Black Knight Lighting.

basically, it'd be setup similar to the trailtech X2, but behind the factory headlight cover and windshield. the brighter, the better!

and yes, i've searched, but didn't see anything i liked, and touratech is too expensive, especially since i already have/can easily (cheaply) obtain most of the lights anyways.

I've been thinking about it, and I even have an extra headlight housing to play with, but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. Seems like the best way would be to get a good projector headlight with the cutoff mask included, and fit it into the lower headlight area, leaving the upper parking light alone. Check out theretrofitsource.com. They sell a 1 light kit for bikes, looks like the projector is 3-4" diameter including the mounting plate. $150 for one light, including the HID bulb and ballast. . . . pretty good deal for good light, but I'm a cheap bastard, so I haven't done it yet.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,181
Someone on here cut the back off the stock housing and mounted two Hella 90mm projectors in there. Complete lights, not just bulbs in the stock reflectors. Seemed a great approach to me.

I can just almost remember who did it. Dang it. There were photos and everything.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,073
When I put the Euro light in my old 04 950 I cut the clear cover off of the stock light and I still have it sitting on the work bench. Plan was to fit something else in behind it. I don't have the bike any more but now I would consider installing either two LED's or an LED/HID combo. HID low beam LED high beam. Low beam stays on all the time, LED high beam would be instant on and off...no need to wait for the ballast to fully energize the light.

Consider a Baja Designs 4" Fuego HID in pod light form with a Fog pattern for your low beam and run a Rigid industries 2x3 LED for high beam.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,307
Wasn't Boatman going to do something like this with a couple of Hella light modules?

Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
lowes48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
I'm interested in this approach myself. I was hoping there was a fairly simple mod that could be done with the stock US housing vs. buying the Euro housing then upgrading it with HIDs. Looking forward to seeing some ideas!
lowes48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:14 AM   #8
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
Wasn't Boatman going to do something like this with a couple of Hella light modules?

Yeah, he was/is, all the parts are sitting on the shelf ready for cutting and assembling. Just haven't had the time.

Hella projectors are what I have and then after I got them to fit I was going for HID.

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=1800

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
GrenDesb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Someone on here cut the back off the stock housing and mounted two Hella 90mm projectors in there. Complete lights, not just bulbs in the stock reflectors. Seemed a great approach to me.

I can just almost remember who did it. Dang it. There were photos and everything.
Maybe this thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650327&highlight=projector

But pics are all gone.
GrenDesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrenDesb View Post
Maybe this thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650327&highlight=projector

But pics are all gone.
Yeah... looks like his Photobucket account expired... drag.
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
LAYNFRM OP
slightly tarded

Oddometer: 68
I think my warn 4" might be too deep to mount properly as the top light, so I might pull the fairings and check it it one day soon. The bottom, I'm thinking maybe a Black Knight Lighting 4" LED bar, their 5 LED light, or maybe even a RIGID D2 to compliment the RIGID 6" bar I'm thinking would go nice directly under the headlight where the little screen area is if I can figure a mount out.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #12
ironworks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I was thinking about using the 5.75" JW speaker LEDS. We have installed them in quite a few cars with great success and they only draw 2 amps.
ironworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:24 AM   #13
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 861
I found that having HID low beam, while brighter at night, tended to become annoying in that sometimes the ballast would take a crap when I started up the bike. Solution was to add the euro switch giving the ability to off on but that only worked at night when I could see that the low was off. Ended up just swapping back to an incandescent for low beam keeping the HID high projector.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:28 AM   #14
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,073
I pulled out my old 950 headlight that I cut down to the clear plastic. A 2x2 rigid LED fits nicely in the top and I suspect a 2x3 would fit nicely in the bottom. The rigid lights are shorter than the stock headlight housing so you could make brackets and mount them in place of the stock headlight unit while retaing the stock plastic so that the headlight wouldnt look too odd at first glance. between the two lights you would draw about 30 watts iirc. Same light spectrum as the HID, probably not quite the same distance but also a fraction of the cost of a good HID, no ballast issues, instant on, no bulbs to burn out (Yes HID bulbs can go bad). etc etc.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 804
They have 70 and 100watt hid ballast and bulbs out now. Go big or go home! Im going home because I'm only running a 55watt HID bulb/ballast for my low beam and a 27watt halogen for my highbeam. I know, I suck.

I do rock the 4" amber spot light setup from Rigid Industries on my crash bars. There awesome in bad weather and traffic
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote