ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
The Real McCoy OP
The Real McCoy
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Matewan WV Hatfield McCoy Country KY.,WV., VA.
Oddometer: 70
Hatfield McCoy Country

Hey folks, I own a BMW F650GS DAKAR. Before you shoot me let me introduce myself.
I live and ride in the mountains, valleys, river and creek bushwacking backroads of Eastern Ky. Mingo Co. Wv. and Bucannon Va. 80% single and 2 lane less travelled by truckers and heavy traffic, 20% dirt and some gravel/dirt railway roads along some awesome river roads and a small part of the Hatfield McCoy Trail system. All routes I ride are 100% legal and free to ride with the exception of the small percentage of green trails I have ridden of the H&M Trail System which is all in Wv. I am 50 years and growing, use to ride a Yamaha yz 125 and a Can Am 175 OR when I was in my teens and 20's.
Good news I may have for some of yall is that I am currently tracking over 500 miles of these back road legal historic and very scenic roads and in the process of riding all of them within the next few weeks to months to years with the bike I recently purchased. Any of you guys and gals want to ride these trails I am for the heck of it calling them The Real McCoy Trails due to the work I am putting into tracking and logging them and also due to me being a direct decendant of the Hatfield and McCoy Feudist. Lots of very twisty blacktop back roads with some awsome breath taking views including a bit of Pine Mountain on the Ky. side of The Breaks interstate Park "known as the Grand Canyon of the south" which sets in Va. and Ky. where last season where a national kayak qualifications were held and part of the Dual Sport Kentucky loop sponsored by BMW of Lousiville Ky.. If you like rough and tough roads mixed with some blacktop bush wacking back roads you can include part or parts of the H&M Trail system while making a small to huge loop. If you are ever in these parts of the woods look me up.
Anyone or a full crew want to ride these trails with me and posibly my wife and do some gpsing, picture taking, and camping shoot me an email or message.

Have a great ride, The Real McCoy Downtown "Historic" Matewan Wv.

AceRph screwed with this post 01-31-2012 at 07:51 AM Reason: removed the color & size tags for the text to improve readability
The Real McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 2,006
What a coincidence, just a few days ago I was looking at goolgemaps hunting for good curvy roads to explore. I ended up being drawn towards the H&M area, and was wondering how to meet somebody who rides there.

I'll get in touch in the spring when I can come up and ride the great roads up there. Til then I'll keep an eye on this thread.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
The Real McCoy OP
The Real McCoy
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Matewan WV Hatfield McCoy Country KY.,WV., VA.
Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
What a coincidence, just a few days ago I was looking at goolgemaps hunting for good curvy roads to explore. I ended up being drawn towards the H&M area, and was wondering how to meet somebody who rides there.

I'll get in touch in the spring when I can come up and ride the great roads up there. Til then I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Our nearby town:Williamson Wv. is holding its first motorcycle rally MAY 5TH called RALLY IN THE VALLEY. Check it out at: www.tugvalleychamber.com I will have it listed on my web page at www.hatfieldmccoyresort.com soon. I will be setting up a booth introducing the app.1000 miles of dual sport trails and should have them mapped by May 5th. Some of you riders come out if you get the time. There will be a short guided tour of the Hatfield McCoy historical sites on May 5th. and on may 6th if I get enough interested riders I will be doing a huge loopguided tour of several miles that will last all day. I will offer a couple free rooms if a few of you riders would like to come to the rally and help me introduce dual sport riding. My wife will be setting up a booth and will be smoking boston butt bbq BBQ. in my 1956 customized refrigerator. A bikini bike wash will be held that day also, so make sure your bike is dirty.
The Real McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:08 AM   #4
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti
 
AKDuc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Oddometer: 6,554
Sounds like a lot of fun!

Thanks for the invites. Mighty neighborly of you.

Warmest regards from way up north, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
The Real McCoy OP
The Real McCoy
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Matewan WV Hatfield McCoy Country KY.,WV., VA.
Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
What a coincidence, just a few days ago I was looking at goolgemaps hunting for good curvy roads to explore. I ended up being drawn towards the H&M area, and was wondering how to meet somebody who rides there.

I'll get in touch in the spring when I can come up and ride the great roads up there. Til then I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Get a chance get up this way and we can do some re exploring. I have owned my dual sport bike for only a few months and would enjoy having some help re exploring. There is just to many trails. This place is totally covered with trails of all sorts. You never actually get lost you just do not know where you are at times.
The Real McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous
 
steveb126's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Wooster,OH
Oddometer: 1,018
Hey There Real McCoy,
I still have relatives over in Tazewell County,VA. Mom's side of the family were coalminers from Pageton,WV down the road from Welch,WV. Rode 52 from Bluefield over to Matewan 4 years ago. I may look you up this summer, would love to have you show me around to some backroads.
Thanks for posting,
steveb126
__________________
I may not be much, but I'm all I think about.
Wee & Wingabago Wanderings
steveb126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
The Real McCoy OP
The Real McCoy
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Matewan WV Hatfield McCoy Country KY.,WV., VA.
Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb126 View Post
Hey There Real McCoy,
I still have relatives over in Tazewell County,VA. Mom's side of the family were coalminers from Pageton,WV down the road from Welch,WV. Rode 52 from Bluefield over to Matewan 4 years ago. I may look you up this summer, would love to have you show me around to some backroads.
Thanks for posting,
steveb126
Get a chance come on up! Camping is free here in town and if not I may provide free lodging at our inn at www.hatfieldmccoyinn.com My new dual sport spot touring website id www.therealmccoytrails.com email is kt3mcc@aol.com lets get this place known the way it should have already been known a long time ago by riders. To many roads to mention.
The Real McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer
 
AviatorTroy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH/Stuart FL
Oddometer: 1,618
Awesome, really looking forward to seeing what you have for us here!
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
Schmittenhymer
Adventure Tourer
 
Schmittenhymer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Kagawong, Ontario
Oddometer: 663
Thumb

__________________
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
2006 KTM 525EXC
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650 (wife's)
http://www.adventuretourer.ca
www.2wheelcentral.com
Schmittenhymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #10
The Real McCoy OP
The Real McCoy
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Matewan WV Hatfield McCoy Country KY.,WV., VA.
Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
Awesome, really looking forward to seeing what you have for us here!
To much to mention. Check out Don Childress trips to this area on ADVRIDER FORUMS. He is from North Carolina. He is an avid rider of this area and has been riding here for years and knows his way around including the history, backwoods and where to cross the rivers.
The Real McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #11
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny
 
Sporting Wood's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Horneytown, NC
Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real McCoy View Post
To much to mention. Check out Don Childress trips to this area on ADVRIDER FORUMS. He is from North Carolina. He is an avid rider of this area and has been riding here for years and knows his way around including the history, backwoods and where to cross the rivers.

Riding with Don will make anyone a better rider
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:42 AM   #12
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer
 
woods wizard's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Welcome to No.Va...expect delays
Oddometer: 752
Im in..althogh I dont own a real street worthy bike. I do have a Husaberg 570 thats plated & a 2 smoker for the serious s/t.I am looking to come down sometime this spring...posssibly next month if this warm weather holds. Great thread......Thanks
woods wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #13
The Real McCoy OP
The Real McCoy
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Matewan WV Hatfield McCoy Country KY.,WV., VA.
Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by woods wizard View Post
Im in..althogh I dont own a real street worthy bike. I do have a Husaberg 570 thats plated & a 2 smoker for the serious s/t.I am looking to come down sometime this spring...posssibly next month if this warm weather holds. Great thread......Thanks
Look me up at Wingos Grill downtown Matewan Wv. on friday or saturday and mention you posted on the ADV site and dinner is on me.
The Real McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Oddometer: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real McCoy View Post
Hey folks, I own a BMW F650GS DAKAR. Before you shoot me let me introduce myself.
I live and ride in the mountains, valleys, river and creek bushwacking backroads of Eastern Ky. Mingo Co. Wv. and Bucannon Va. 80% single and 2 lane less travelled by truckers and heavy traffic, 20% dirt and some gravel/dirt railway roads along some awesome river roads and a small part of the Hatfield McCoy Trail system. All routes I ride are 100% legal and free to ride with the exception of the small percentage of green trails I have ridden of the H&M Trail System which is all in Wv. I am 50 years and growing, use to ride a Yamaha yz 125 and a Can Am 175 OR when I was in my teens and 20's.
Good news I may have for some of yall is that I am currently tracking over 500 miles of these back road legal historic and very scenic roads and in the process of riding all of them within the next few weeks to months to years with the bike I recently purchased. Any of you guys and gals want to ride these trails I am for the heck of it calling them The Real McCoy Trails due to the work I am putting into tracking and logging them and also due to me being a direct decendant of the Hatfield and McCoy Feudist. Lots of very twisty blacktop back roads with some awsome breath taking views including a bit of Pine Mountain on the Ky. side of The Breaks interstate Park "known as the Grand Canyon of the south" which sets in Va. and Ky. where last season where a national kayak qualifications were held and part of the Dual Sport Kentucky loop sponsored by BMW of Lousiville Ky.. If you like rough and tough roads mixed with some blacktop bush wacking back roads you can include part or parts of the H&M Trail system while making a small to huge loop. If you are ever in these parts of the woods look me up.
Anyone or a full crew want to ride these trails with me and posibly my wife and do some gpsing, picture taking, and camping shoot me an email or message.

Have a great ride, The Real McCoy Downtown "Historic" Matewan Wv.
If I remember about you, I'll look you up when I visit my sister. She lives in Swords Creek.

Work is looking pretty hectic for the next 6 months so I may not make it any time soon.
__________________
the best thing to buy for your bike is gas.....Neduro
Remote is not found on the coffee table
machinebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
The Real McCoy OP
The Real McCoy
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Matewan WV Hatfield McCoy Country KY.,WV., VA.
Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinebuilder View Post
If I remember about you, I'll look you up when I visit my sister. She lives in Swords Creek.

Work is looking pretty hectic for the next 6 months so I may not make it any time soon.
Work is for people that do not know how to play!!! Stop by and lodging is on me. Let me know a few days ahead of time so I can pre warn my wife. Serious! Plenty of trails on and off road. Lets get together and have one heck of a rally here. I can get a bit of support from tourism to help with expenses.
The Real McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014