User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 06:44 AM   #1
Oggie OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Question Buy a 2012 GSA or wait for the 2013

Basically, I have my mind made up mostly, but would like to solicit opinions.
What I plan on doing is finally getting my first BMW bike, been wanting once since I saw one in college. I can get a 2012 GSA while I am still posted overseas at a decent price or I can wait and get a 2013 when I return in the US. My reluctance on the 13 model is it could be water-cooled, but with that come first year production runs and all bugs associated with it. While from what I have read on the forums is that the 12 model has them all pretty much worked out?
I plan on using the bike for some off-road work in the NOVA/DC area and beyond, but its main use would be to get me to DC and back on the HOV lane. Since I could be stuck in DC traffic from time to time (if not all the time) should I be worried about the 2012 overheating (stand still traffic I would just turn it off) or would the water-cooled version be best for what I want to do with the bike?
So from what I have wrote can I get some opinions buy 2012 now or wait for the 2013 based on what I can get and what I will be doing with the bike.
Oggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
PARIAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
You've given no time frame on your return.

I would wait. I can see no reason to purchase something you will not be able to use. The interim time will allow you to research more fully your options. By then your fancies may have changed.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
Englishmatt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Having a 2010, having experienced all the common problems these bike seem to have....I'd wait for the 2013 in hope that BMW finally fixed the &$^$%^$ final drive weakness and annoying fuel strip (now float) issues.

I wouldn't worry about it overheating.

Like the other guy said, wait until you are back in the US, then make a decision...but if it were me and my money, I'd wait for the new design.

"I can't lead, I go too fast..." Scott Hinkle, 4/2010
Englishmatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
Van'Cycles
Van Keeler

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishmatt View Post
Having a 2010, having experienced all the common problems these bike seem to have....I'd wait for the 2013 in hope that BMW finally fixed the &$^$%^$ final drive weakness and annoying fuel strip (now float) issues.

I wouldn't worry about it overheating.

Like the other guy said, wait until you are back in the US, then make a decision...but if it were me and my money, I'd wait for the new design.
Ive nevered had a problem with my final drive, ive own 3 generations of GS's
my 01's just got all guncked up but thats just cuz i ran the wrong oil.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
Oggie OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
You've given no time frame on your return
Sorry...

Basically either in Dec 2012/ Jan 2013 or Jun 2013

I can get the 2012 immediately to use here in the UK which I woudl love or wait until the new year and snatch up a 2013
Oggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:52 AM   #6
stephenm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggie View Post

I can get the 2012 immediately to use here in the UK which I woudl love
If you plan to keep the bike long term, riding in the UK on salt gritted roads will set in motion corrosion problems. Something to be aware of.

Stephen
stephenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
PARIAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Ok... get the 2012 now. You'll have plenty of time to bond with your new scooter and will not have wasted this season.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,357
Curious where you'll be offroading in the NoVA area....

I've had similar thoughts. The problem is that I don't see the 2012 bikes being much of an upgrade from any of the 1200s. I mean, they made little changes along the way, tweaked the steering a little, changed the brakes, but the difference between an 08 and a 12 is really minor. I sort of think the best plan would be to look for a deal on a used one, and keep it a few years. I wouldn't buy the first year of the new version, but that's me. Give BMW a year or two to work out the bugs, and enjoy riding now.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,749
I'm a strong proponent of instant gratification.

But, I gotta tell ya, I've had numerous 1st year bmw's with only one problem. And that fueling issue was fixed by a flash.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
Desert2202
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
The problem is that I don't see the 2012 bikes being much of an upgrade from any of the 1200s. I mean, they made little changes along the way, tweaked the steering a little, changed the brakes, but the difference between an 08 and a 12 is really minor.
Minor Ummm, they fitted double overhead cams to the 2010 model onwards, that's a little above a minor upgrade in my book!!
Old 07-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #11
denny
Stay Go

Oddometer: 13
2013 will be the same as 2012

Just left dealer today, she pulled 2013 invoice on new allocation and same bike as 2012. No new model, maybe mid-year but she seemed to think march. New model intro in March she feel that's when they will see it. I have 2012 gsa and really think this is by far best boxer. Buy now and enjoy!
denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
Zeke013
Village Idiot

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny View Post
Just left dealer today, she pulled 2013 invoice on new allocation and same bike as 2012. No new model, maybe mid-year but she seemed to think march. New model intro in March she feel that's when they will see it. I have 2012 gsa and really think this is by far best boxer. Buy now and enjoy!

I had the SAME thing happen today. Talked to him about ordering a set-up exactly as I wanted. He said we would be into the '13 model by the time it arrived, and he already had one allocated.
Zeke013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
arraflipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Buy

I bought a new GSA last fall, wish I would of bought one a lot sooner. Life is short don't wait to buy get one now. That means even more to me today as I found out a friend has cancer and chances are very slim he will live another couple weeks. He retired last year, more than enough reason to do what you want while you can.
arraflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #14
cratliff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Just bought the 2012 GSA...I pondered on the same question also... was told by a dealer that the first water-cooled boxers will be GS's, possibly as early as March 2013...GSA's will come along later...I really love my GSA... glad that I made this choice....don't think I will regret later....we'll see
cratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
JayhawkGSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
I would wait. After riding the Tiger Explorer a few weeks ago I mentioned to thje salesman that BMW was going to have to do something because that bike was awesome. He agreed and said they were. The biggest thing is having cruise control. That is huge for me and worth waiting.

The GSAs won't be water cooled in 2013 so maybe you will luck out and they will offer the cruise option with the old motor so less first year worries.
JayhawkGSA is offline   Reply With Quote