User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
skibum69 OP
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
7500 km's round trip to the CroMag Campout 2011

I've been sorely lacking in getting my act together to finish writing my RR about my Mongolian Rally experience; I'm not sure why my mind just quit working on the topic. I had an offer to write an article for a print magazine too for a few $$ and I haven't managed to complete a first draft and it's only 1500 words! That's after writing a draft of an introduction article similar in concept to what I've written here. I've even been dragging the paperwork, roadbooks, and videos around the world with me to try to do it while I'm off working. Sigh.

So here's my thought: how about I throw out my ride report from 2 weeks on the road this past September to check out a rally that I first went to 3 years ago? Are you interested? If so read on...

Ok, here goes... all packed up the night before

she looks impressed

day 1
I left Suzie's house in Freshwater next to Carbonear, Newfoundland on Wednesday, September 16 in the start of Maria, the latest hurricane to blow through. With my raingear on it wasn't actually bad riding but I made a quick lap back to get the chin bar liner for my helmet and was awfully glad I did. What a difference it makes, I wasn't feeling any rain hit my face at all.

I was just pulling off of Veteran's Memorial route 75 onto the Trans Canada trying to make it to Whitbourne on my low fuel light when I felt the duffel behind me shift and reached around to discover my hydration pack was gone. Dammit! So I turned around and went looking for it. I ran out of gas between the 2 Mackinsons exits, dammit again! It's raining, I'm standing there in my raingear trying to thumb a ride for gas. About the 5th pickup stops and brings me to the closest gas station where they lent me a gas can to go back. I was asking every person who came in if they were headed to the highway. The 4th guy I asked was getting his 9 am case of beer and said he'd give me a ride. Yay, and his wife was driving. He also lives near the gas station and said he'd drop the can back for me too. Thank you very much for the help, sorry I didn't get a name!

Off I went again up the road looking for my hydration pack, all the way back to Freshwater and down to the highway looking in the ditch to no avail. Gone were a few bottles of octane boost for Labrador, breakfast food and coffee, my hand pump, a set of allen keys, zip ties and water. Oh well.

No I was rolling out at 11:30 instead of 8:30 with a long way to go and yes it was still raining. Not bad, my thermometer was saying 18ºC, pretty decent. It wasn't even too windy on the road.

Somewhere before Deer Lake it cooled down to 14º, I stopped there to refuel, put on dry gloves and another layer, thankfully it had also stopped raining. I'd made a reservation at the Dockside Motel in St Barbe so I knew I had a hot shower and bed to look forward to when I got there.

The guy at the gas station warned me about the wind heading north, I wasn't too concerned starting out. Everything was fine all the way up through Gros Morne right until I hit the first of the coastline where I got the full effects of the wind. The bits of headland would make breaks in the wind plus the gusts. It was gusting well over 90 km/h from the left which put me in the riding position of all my weight on the left peg, over the bars pushing down and my helmet mashed into my cheek. Fun. It got even more fun when I felt my front wheel get lifted off the ground by one big one. I managed to run to 20:00 with my tinted goggles and had to pull over to put on clear glasses, my new LED driving lights were excellent and really lit up the road for the last of it.

Finally after 700 km's in and out of rain and 200 of 300 km's in some serious wind I made it to St Barbe and my cozy little room; the bad news upon arrival was that no ferries had run at all that day and the next one wasn't looking too good either.

Here are the stats, no time for more
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
skibum69 OP
slave to gravity

day 2

It was nice to be able to get a hot shower. I set my alarm for 6:30 so I could go check on the boat and my 08:00 scheduled boat reservation. I strolled over there for 07:30 to hear that the boats weren't sailing yet due to wind. Looked good for a boat getting across that night if the winds died down as forecasted. Ok, back to bed for me. I lazed around for too long in front of the idiot box as I had not brought my Kindle or any books with me, dumbass. I guess it didn't really matter with the weather not being very pretty either.

It was close to 15:00 when it started to dry up and I decided to go for a spin and try to find a couple of lighthouses and get around the St. Anthony area for my first time. I know, not the best way to achieve this mission but I was game to try. I booted it up the road and pulled off in Eddies Cove to try the old road along the coastal route that a local had told me about. Along the way there was some serious storm surge along the water line in these remote villages.
fishing stages

this surf is bigger than it looks, I was wiping salt spray off my goggles all the time

This sign greeted me, but I was undeterred

looks good to me

It was a nice ride for about 15 or 20 km's and then I came to an impasse, oh well. If I'd had a friend with me and it wasn't the start of a big trip with a timeline I might have tried the go around

No worries, I turned around and made my way back to the main road and continued north in search of the Cape Norman lighthouse the lived just beyond Wild Bight, I was not disappointed.

been awhile since I played this game

From there I gave 'er north to Quirpon and Cape Bauldy looking to snap another one, I went to the ends of the roads around and no such luck, it was looking like the actual lighthouse was tucked around the corner of the point, sigh. Now as time was marching on I really had no choice but to retrace my route back to the motel, it was going to be after dark as it was.:(

I did stop in Saint Lunaire (I think) to grab a pic of this fun little light house along the road, it's got room to get in so it should count on the trophy thread count:)

I booted it back down the coast and passed at least 25 trucks trolling the highway in search of moose and got back to the motel just in time for a sunset shot

Time to pack it in and see what tomorrow brings, word was no boats sailing that night either, dammit. Here was the day's stats
Old 03-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
skibum69 OP
slave to gravity

Day 3

The sign on the door of the ferry office when I went to bed said "next scheduled ferry Sunday 1 pm, office will open at 10:30" so I got up at a reasonable hour to check out the situation. No evening boat on Saturday either obviously. When I hit the front door there was already a sizeable lineup so I joined in chatting with a couple of truck drivers who'd been stranded longer than me. I noticed a couple in riding gear so I started chatting with them.

Turns out Tom and Leah were from Conway New Hampshire and were on a 1200 GS. They'd been toodling around the west coast for a bit and had holed up a little south waiting out the wind. They wanted to spend a week in Labrador taking in the sights. the three of us spent time going back and forth listening to the reservation call outs and getting coffee.

If you're headed to Conway to go to Whitehorse Gear or Mt Washington stop in at their restaurant, Cafe Noche for some tasty Mexican food, right on the main drag next to the Cumberland Farm.;)

The way this ferry company works with cancellations is interesting: if your reservation sailing is cancelled you go on the list, the next scheduled sailing reservations have first priority then they start adding the backlog of previous cancellations. That is combined with the fact they will only add vehicles in order of the list, doesn't matter if they have room or not. The girl's response to my query of fitting a couple of bikes on was: "I can't let you on ahead of someone else." Needless to say the 3 of us were not impressed.

I got a card to get on the 6pm boat, no chance of getting on the 1pm, Tom & Leah got a pass for the 9pm boat. We were standing outside discussing what we were going to do when I look over to see a familiar figure roll in....Tree great to see you! A quick catch up and we filled him in as to the status of sailing.

Tree with DR650

Tree with Tom & Leah

As for me, the math just wasn't going to work, I had to pick up Sue at the airport the morning of the 22nd in Montreal, it was the 18th now and if I took the 6pm boat landing too late to start riding I wasn't going to get moving until the 19th. Knowing with speed limits etc I was going to need 4 days to get there, I couldn't do it, I had to bail. I handed off my 6pm crossing pass to Tree & Tom to decide amongst themselves and hopped on my bike heading south.

The headwind was still brisk which made for a moderately uncomfortable ride south but at least it was still pretty warm.

on the fly Gros Morne was pretty in the afternoon sun.

I gassed up in Wiltondale and kept moving. Wreckhouse was fine and as the hills tapered down near Cape Race I saw my shadow riding beside me in the golden hour light and though it would make a nice picture with the hills in the background.

I was heading up a hill in the left of 2 westbound lanes taking a glance down to my tank bag with one hand reaching for the camera and when I looked up I saw a minivan in my lane passing a car headed right for me! I had a second to wait and see what he was going to do and he moved first swerving to his left going around me in the righthand westbound lane on my right. Not fucking cool! I looked in my mirror and didn't see any vehicles leave the road or any crashes, to hell with him, arsehole! I continued on my way and still got the photo I wanted.

golden hour

Very soon after I was in Port Aux Basques and pulled in for gas, while there I saw an ambulance and fire rescue pickup heading east. Something must have happened? I continued on to get my ferry ticket and with 3 hours to wait headed back to Timmies for a bite to eat. Just as I crossed the overpass I heard a honk behind me and turned around to see a pickup truck, whatever. I pulled into the Tim Horton's parking lot as intended and stopped. The truck stopped by me and the guy walked over pulled out his RCMP badge and asked to talk to me rather curtly. Here we go. He took my license and was chatting back and forth on his radio saying he'd found the bike; then he took me aside and said there'd been an accident where a car had gone into a pond, one person hadn't gotten out and the driver said "an orange dirt bike" had crossed the yellow lines into their lane. Ah... no! I gave him a description of what happened from my perspective and very firmly stated that at no time did I even come close to crossing the center line. His manner changed for the better and he asked what time my ferry was? I guess he could see that I wasn't a kid and was loaded up to travel. He asked me a timeline of events which I gave him and verified it with my gas receipt. With plenty of time to spare he asked me to follow him to the RCMP station to give a statement; no problem.

looking back on my day while waiting for the Sgt

We had a good chat in the interrogation room where everything is now preserved on video which he nicely informed me of before we started. I gave my side of the facts, the description of the minivan as a late model burgundy Chevy and no idea what kind of car he was passing. He asked me if I maintained my bike etc to which I mentioned the full service I'd just done including tires plus details like the LED brake lights. I asked him if he'd noticed them, he replied "those flashing ones?" They work as intended. I also reminded him that I was on my way to pick up my girlfriend so I wanted my bike to be in good working order for that too. We finished up and he mentioned that he rides bikes too and was behind me for a bit in his truck and could see that I rode responsibly and in control, and to keep in touch to see what developed. Nice guy, thanks for that. I returned to Tim's for the soup I was still wanting.

Turns out it was the van that went in the drink and one of 3 occupants didn't get out; when I checked the news in Fredericton there was a report about a 2 vehicle crash and no mention of a motorcycle in the one I read. I phoned Sgt Foote back and queried that there was more to the story? Yup, turns out they were racing, the passengers in the van were witness to speeds up to 160 km/h. The driver of the car was trying to blame it all on me to get out of it, there can't be more than one "orange dirtbike" around and where the hell is it going to go from PAB, the end of the road? Dumbass. When the van passed me he hit the shoulder on his left then overcorrected to the right hitting the car he was racing sending both of them off the road and his into the pond. That explains why he didn't hit the brakes and pull back in behind the car, he stayed on the gas and went around me instead. Lucky for me either way, not so lucky for him as he killed his buddy. It could have been a lot worse killing everyone in the picture.

The local news
Gulf News

On to the ferry lineup where there were a few other bikes waiting and a lot of moose hunters headed home high on having successful hunts. There were trucks from all over as far as Wisconsin and Ontario, I guess Newfoundland is a mecca for more than touring motorcyclists?

Marine Atlantic here I come

first ride on one of the new boats, how bad was it going to be?

Holy crap, this trip is 3 days in, I haven't even gotten off the island, I've ridden almost 2000 km's and events are really piling up. I hope the rest of the trip isn't going to be like this!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
RidingUpAndDown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
Day 3
...heading up a hill in the left of 2 westbound lanes taking a glance down to my tank bag with one hand reaching for the camera and when I looked up I saw a minivan in my lane passing a car headed right for me! I had a second to wait and see what he was going to do and he moved first swerving to his left going around me in the righthand westbound lane on my right...

W o W, you are one lucky dog!!! That was bad and could easily have been very much more of a bad sceen for you man, all I can say is that you have a guardian angel on your shoulder!

Be safe, have fun, enjoy, ride on...

All the Very Best to you!

Great picts, THANKS for the Great rr. Beautiful country you have there.

Hope to cross paths someday.

dean

Chargoggagogg-manchauggagogg-chaubunagungamaugg
RidingUpAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
skibum69 OP
slave to gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingUpAndDown View Post
W o W, you are one lucky dog!!! That was bad and could easily have been very much more of a bad sceen for you man, all I can say is that you have a guardian angel on your shoulder!

Be safe, have fun, enjoy, ride on...

All the Very Best to you!

Great picts, THANKS for the Great rr. Beautiful country you have there.

Hope to cross paths someday.

dean
Thanks Dean, yes I know just how lucky I was. The really lucky part was that I had enough room for a couple of seconds to see what was going to happen and make a decision. In this case the instinctive swerve right would have killed me for sure.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:47 AM   #6
skibum69 OP
slave to gravity

day 4

day 4

So the boat itself is fine except not having any bunks, the vehicle decks are about the same as any other ferry I've been on. The downside was that I put a little too much juice on the ratchet straps and bent my sidestand a little, the resulting angle of dangle will be obvious to you in subsequent photos. The free seats do have a headphone jack so I put in the earphones and slept as well as I could to instrumental music with my feet up on my bag after getting changed out of my riding gear and treating myself to a beer in the bar, it is an adventure after all and what adventure is complete without beer?

I'd had the forethought to gas up the night before to save time in the am, after looking at a map on the boat I knew I wanted route 223 out of Sydney to run along the top of Bras D'Or Lakes and thus eliminate a good stretch of slab. It's a nice little bike road with minimal traffic. At little narrows I paid my $5.25 for the 5 minute ferry bringing me up to 2 ferry rides in 4 days. (this might be a theme)

Little Narrows

nice folks on the ferry

I stopped at the info center in Antigonish to thaw out a little, make a couple of phone calls and look at a map to see where to pick up route 6 along the north coast. Take the exit off the roundabout in Glasgow and giv 'er. I was outside Pugwash looping north on 366 when my low fuel light went on, my mileage has been crap since my first tank of low octane on the rock. Not wanting a repeat of day 1 I turned around and went back knowing there was fuel in Pugwash. Dresda caught this on my Spot tracking page, nice to know there are friends looking out for you-thanks a bunch!

I crossed into New Brunswick near Baie Verte, hmmmm...time warp. Then followed the signs to Shediac where a couple I knew from Jasper owned a restaurant, but they'd sold out the year before. I called another buddy from my seasons in Jasper and made a hasty decision to boot it up to Miramichi to see him and his wife jamming it on route 11; I hadn't seen Rob and Karen in a few years since my little ski trip through Smithers. They have a beautiful property where they grow most of their own veggies etc and lots of grapes. Google a chicken tractor sometime, interesting bit of work.

Rob & Karen outside the chicken coop

I talked to Gregster and we agreed to meet on the road, route 8 is a nice ride that follows the Miramichi River for aways before turning south to Fredericton. I had taken the long detours because I thought Gregster was getting home from work between 5:30 and 6 but I later learned he'd stayed in town working, jeez, I would have headed straight there by the most direct route if I'd known instead of adding an extra 300 km's to my day? Oh well we were going to the same place for the weekend anyways and would have time to drink more beer later. We met up at a gas station on the edge of town then went on a beer run before pulling my bike into his shed to clean my air filter that I'd forgotten to do and we realized my beer opener was hampered by the panniers so did an emergency relocation narrowly avoiding certain disaster!

the warm glow of a nice shed after a longish day

disaster averted * photo: 2twisted

We had a little supper, checking in online on the CroMag threads, and finished the beer before crawling into bed; tomorrow was going to be another full day in the saddle.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:51 AM   #7
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,445

bring it!
MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31

Oddometer: 531
Laugh subscribed

Glad to meet you both there & ride with you offroad. It'll be a miracle, but I'm hoping to see you at Roaming Rally - Ontario. Happy Trails!
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
skibum69 OP
slave to gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromoth View Post
Glad to meet you both there & ride with you offroad. It'll be a miracle, but I'm hoping to see you at Roaming Rally - Ontario. Happy Trails!
Cheers, yup miracle for me too
Old 04-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
skibum69 OP
slave to gravity

day 6

day 6

I'll write what I can before I have to go out this evening.

Slept in a little, nice not to have to worry about being anywhere and a hot shower felt great. Lizzy & billy were out with the dogs so I puttered around and wrangled up some coffee and breakfast. She bought bacon as a treat so I made sure I had some.

When Billy got back we went out to a nearby Honda dealer to get some oil to do and oil change on my bike. Wouldn't you know Honda doesn't have a single thing that runs on 20/50? No luck there so we darted over to Canadian Tire and as luck would have it they had Amsoil 20/50 which is what my bike was running anyway.

my tour guide

what's wrong with this picture? Look close...

Billy's owned a KTM 640 Enduro for years, you may recall I was riding it at a track day with him 3 years ago when I last went to CroMag, so he knew a Subaru Justy oil filter would fit the bike too. Spin on covered the cartridge filter can wait until I get home.

slow guy

I popped by the house to hang out my laundry then back over to Billy's to do the oil change in his driveway, no issues it went pretty smooth. As my front tire was already hurting and I'd burned up almost half my rear he offered me a set of new 80/20 street/trail tires but I couldn't face getting into changing them so decided to keep running what I had until the end.

In the meantime I'd been talking to the folks who call me for Cirque du Soleil jobs and they invited me to stop in to puts names with faces, being a nice day with nothing else on my agenda I got on the 40 headed east. Should be an easy spin over and the offices are right beside the autoroute, sweet.

Not long into my ride I hit some serious traffic and it was getting hot out; I was watching my temp gauge climb and realized my cooling fan wasn't coming on either. Dammit! Ok, I really needed to get off this road before my bike blew up. The first exit I could get to was to get off right by the 15 south interchange, good by me so I could get some air through the rads. The 15 is the main route south across the Champlain Bridge and then to the US border. (this becomes important later) I happily rode across the bridge when I saw the traffic building on the 570 through downtown and watched the temperature go back down to a happy place and turned east on the 20 on the south side of the river. For anyone who hasn't been across any of the Montreal Bridges they're pretty long spans with nice views. Not that I was using a map or GPS to find my way around, I figured I could just wing it and Katty at the office had suggested Lorimier Street if I needed to head north which I knew was east of me. There are more bridges to get back on so I took the first one I saw–the Victoria Bridge. When I took the exit and came around in line with the bridge a terrifying sight greeted me, with no way out. Oh shit...
Old 04-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,839
:

Sent from my phone, so this probably isn't what I meant to type.

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
skibum69 OP
slave to gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarysharkface View Post
:

Sent from my phone, so this probably isn't what I meant to type.
what? beer drinking emoticons? What's wrong with that?
Old 04-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #13
skibum69 OP
slave to gravity

day 6 continued

The sight that greeted me once I straightened out from the onramp was a never ending lane of steel grating! I don't know what you think of those bridges but I know they scare the crap out of me! I always have visions of going down and my fingers going through the grates and tearing off. I know, that's pretty unlikely but then again most irrational fears are. Cruising along at 60 km/h I concentrated on trying to relax and let the bike go, no problem as I felt my shoulders get tighter and tighter every foot I rode to the point of physical pain by the time I got to the end where I was so tense I was wandering a little in my lane; I'm sure this bridge is more than a kilometer long. Then the flood of relief as I hit the offramp and pavement.

Ok, now that I was past that terror I found myself on the Villa Maria Expressway, for most of the people reading this it means nothing–for anyone from Montreal it means: "run away!" Last year a bunch of sections of concrete fell out of the roof in the tunnel and killed several people. All of the bridges and overpasses around the city are deteriorating badly and you can see the evidence of patchwork all over the place cruising around. The last thing Lizzy said to me as I left the house was to steer clear of the tunnel and here I was headed right for it! Dammit! As you can imagine my eyes were glued to the ceiling scanning for any signs of falling debris. Another wave of relief as I exited that deathtrap.

Happily in the open air on real pavement I rode right up on Lorimier Street and headed north towards the 40 gassing it around the slower cars in the race between traffic lights. I found the address I was looking for without any trouble and stopped in to meet the folks who run the fly-in department for Cirque du Soleil and put faces to names of the people I talk to on the phone. After a nice little visit and forgetting to take a photo I got back on my bike to head back out to the west island.

This was pretty uneventful and there weren't any traffic clogs all the way back. My only incident was some jackass not originally from North America with his whole family in the car who decided to pass me on the right in my own lane! I rode up to him again and simultaneously gave him the horn and a "WTF?" gesture as I left him in my dust. Some days I wonder how people get driver's licenses in this country but then I remember the scandal in British Columbia where it was found out the people who hand them out were taking bribes from drivers who failed their driving tests. Go figure...

Back at Lizzy's it was time to relax and have a beer as I got all of my gear together and mostly packed for a quick exit in the am. A couple of her girlfriends came over in the evening and we had fun trying a few new beers over plenty of ribald conversation and laughter. Before it got too late it was time to get to bed, tomorrow was going to be fun with my first stop being the airport.

my shortest day yet
Old 04-06-2012, 03:28 AM   #14
skibum69 OP
slave to gravity

day 7

day 7

Up early I messed around a little, got the bike all packed up and said my goodbye's to Lizzy and Billy. Now that her son Angus has flown the coop to go live with his dad in Toronto she gets a little lonely rattling around her house when Billy's at work or at his house. Strange to me too visiting without seeing Angus kicking around. We both really enjoyed the chance to catch up on our lives a little, it's been awhile.

I rolled out of the yard and onto route 20 headed east a few exits to the airport. I was on time and so was Suzie's flight. As I'm standing in the pickup lane a guy comes up to me and starts chatting, turns out he's a moto guy riding mostly trials now but plenty of common ground to chat about. Suzie calls to tell me she's there and when she walks up she's on the phone with Air Miles cursing because they wouldn't honour one of her tickets. I handed her her riding pants and she went off to change. The pickup lanes at most airports now are no parking so it didn't take long for security to come up to me, they were nice enough when I said I was waiting on my passenger. When she got back we packed her stuff, checked the load and we both got on. About 10 seconds after sitting on the bike Sue said "tell Keith to order that bike." I just let out the clutch and drove.

getting ready to ride

let the adventure begin, or in my case maybe that would be "continue"

We took the Mercier Bridge and I don't blame dresda at all for avoiding the Montreal bridges, it took awhile in single lane traffic. At the far end the 4 lanes split and me not having a map, (actually I hadn't had a map since Fredericton), I took the 138 south instead of heading east to the 15, oops. It didn't take long for me to realize we were headed to upstate New York instead of Vermont so we pulled over in Sainte Martine and asked a couple of guys how to get to the border? No problem turn left go up to the next right to Sainte Remi and then towards Sainte Edouard where you'll see the signs for the 15. Awesome.

Suzie had her camera out and was taking a few pictures on the fly, some different scenery than home.

As we were pulling back out we saw a funky car go by, looking a little different than the one I saw go by my Soiree preparations back in '09. We were going the same way so we chased it down.

getting closer

there it is

maybe we'll be on there?

This looks a lot more solid than the one I saw go by my place.

We made it onto the 15 and booted it for the border, no issues there and we continued on our way towards VT. My plan was to stop at the first gas station and pick up a map but it turned out we didn't need to. The first town we went through was Rousse's Point and what should I see parked on the side of the road? Emmbeedee standing next to his bike. Ha, I pulled up beside him and he had big smile on his face when he turned to look. He said he and dresda were talking about keeping their eyes open for us on the road as they knew our schedule.

We joined them for lunch and had a tasty sandwich as we watched the rain start in earnest. I went out to get the raingear, nothing like a rubber suit to keep you dry.

comfy

The four of us hit the road down through Lake Champlain on route 2. This was a pretty drive and we were planning to stay on the secondary roads going south. Once we got into the outskirts of Burlington we changed our minds and jumped on the Interstate. 89 took us the quick way to Bethel where we jumped off and went looking for the north road to bypass route 12 that was closed between Bethel and Barnard due to Hurricane Irene. There was flood damage evident everywhere we went all weekend.

Bethel

Riding with the GPS junkies dresda and Emmbeedee has some definite advantages, they pretty much know where they're going and having intercoms they can discuss what's going on and not waste time stopping etc. I did buy a map when we stopped for gas but it got soaked and was useless to us for almost all the time we were in the state.

gas stop

Once we hit the campground we ended up doing a quick stop by the lean-to's to double check they were all gone and then we rode around to look at all the sites that were left. Both Sue and I spotted one that looked good immediately and pulled in to start getting camp set up in the rain.

we're here

The one thing I really regret is not getting a pic of the 2 of us in our rubber suits in the rain when we showed up. Oh well, the memories will have to do.

a light day

Once we were set up and out of our riding gear we strolled up to where Mzcountryboy was hanging and settled in for some serious bullshitting and overindulgence.

let the games begin

I was really enjoying seeing folks I'd met in '08 when I first went to CroMag, didn't feel at all like 3 years had gone by.

EvilClown is in the house

people are entertained

Freethebeast was subject to peer pressure and took his turn with the 40 ouncer of Screech hand delivered by yours truly

Gregster made it in and as promised delivered a box of Cohiba cigarillos to me as I hadn't made it to a tabagie in Montreal. One of my rally extravagances. Luckily Sue stayed around long enough to drag me out of it and back to the tent before I got into any trouble or ended up sleeping in a ditch, the sticky zipper on the tent fly just about did me in but all was well in the end and we were out for the count.

The first week was in the rearview with only a few mishaps and the weekend promised plenty of entertainment and lies with like minded inmates. Bring it on.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #15
skibum69 OP
slave to gravity

day 8

day 8

We had a relaxing morning getting up and heading to the General Store for breakfast. The French toast was tasty as well as the hash and eggs. MZ and a couple of others were there too and we started talking route info to get to Conway, New Hampshire. I'd been wanting to check out Whitehorse Gear for some time and Sue was shopping for some new gear.

General Store

the neighbourhood ducks

the view across from the store, towrds the campground

We got going at some sensible hour like 11 and headed south on 12 to Woodstock and onto 4 through Qeuchee, nice touristy gorge to go over. Lost of evidence of the flooding all over the place, we saw bridges etc with debris 15 feet up, devastation, brings back memories of Igor.

Quechee Gorge

roadwork

where are we?

From there we headed generally north on 10 to go pick up route 188 which promised to be a lot of twisty fun. Who knew Dartmouth college was in Hanover? Pretty upscale looking town

Hanover

Hanover

new copper roof

We passed through plenty of rolling countryside and small farms, nice to see so much activity and what mostly appeared to be still working farms surrounded by old infrastructure

Once we started climbing the fall colours started to show too, pretty countryside

One town even boasted a rocket

After the sweet ride on 118 we stopped for gas in Lincoln.