User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
slide OP
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,123
The Why of Trikes

Riding into work today, I noted an old guy on a huge trike which seemed to me to be built on a Goldwing at great expense. I understand these things can cost $50k or even more if you include the hapless donor bike.

I've heard that many men who get what they consider too old for riding conventional bikes turn to trikes. As far as I can see, the only difference or advantage of a trike is that you don't need to foot down at a stop.

Is that really all there is? How decrepit a rider must be to not be able to put a foot down especially considering that many of these older guys like cruisers which have seats as low as 26" (65 cm). I have a hard time believing that anybody who has the endurance to ride (and isn't missing a leg, etc.) would find spending the money for a trike not to say the loss of enjoyment worth the bother yet these things abound.

Do these things exist really and solely so one doesn't need to foot down at a stop?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,603
Knee replacements, hip replacements and atrophy… Coupled with the desire to keep riding.

HD’s FLHTCUTG two-tone is only $32k
Old 03-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
slide OP
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Knee replacements, hip replacements and atrophy… Coupled with the desire to keep riding.

HD’s FLHTCUTG two-tone is only $32k
I got a whole knee replacement due to my left knee being 100% blown out in a dirt bike crash.

I was riding within 1.5 months of that and had no issues putting that leg down at a stop. I know folks who've had whole hips and they resume all normal activity such as skiing, bicycle riding, etc. I can' see those as issues.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
I got a whole knee replacement due to my left knee being 100% blown out in a dirt bike crash.

I was riding within 1.5 months of that and had no issues putting that leg down at a stop. I know folks who've had whole hips and they resume all normal activity such as skiing, bicycle riding, etc. I can' see those as issues.
Sure you did. Were you on a 900lbs bike?
Old 03-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
slide OP
A nation in despair

Quote:
Sure you did. Were you on a 900lbs bike?
No, a 320 lb one. So the solution is to NOT ride a 900 lb bike when your knee is healing. I'm now 2 months out of surgery. By 3 months I'll have no problems with the 900 lb bike.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post

You were lucky, my bro inlaw got T boned on his bike by an old geezer in a pickup. Broke his left leg in 245 places from the hip to the ankle. They told him it would be simpler to amputate. He kept his leg, when he was able to climb back on (a year of rehab) he bought a new road king, his wife got on back and they rode all day. That evening he pulled up to a red light, his wife squirmed a bit and his left leg collapsed. I mean collapsed like the bone telescoped inside itself. Another round of surgeries and he got his RK triked. Rode it for about a year and a half until they got everything stabilized, then he went back to a regular bike.

He tried a hack, said he hated the handling so a trike was it for him.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,538
Quote:
Yeah. Basically, what I see is older guys who like big touring bikes who can't physically muscle them around anymore.

I used to be militant against them, but I can see the appeal.

A friend of mine rides with his dad. His dad is up in his 70s now, and is having some physical problems. Nice guy. Enthusiastic motorcyclist.

No way I'd hassle him over riding a trike..
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
Zachsv
SVhaver

Oddometer: 156
Why do you think its only really old decrepit people riding them? I'm not a fan of them, but honestly they still look like fun. Why ride a 4wheeler, why drive a convertible, why drive a big jeep, why ski when you can snowboard, why do anything.

Dude is probably sitting happy in a plush seat, enjoying the feeling of wind (that same feeling we feel), full stereo, room for his woman, plenty of torque under his nuts, handlebar in his hand (which probably most definitely has cruise control), backup abilities...not a shabby way to roll into work. Yeah he's not carving up canyons, or jumping table tops, or poppin wheelies past the cops, but he's most definitely enjoying the trill of being out in the open.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
slide OP
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachsv View Post
Why do you think its only really old decrepit people riding them? I'm not a fan of them, but honestly they still look like fun. Why ride a 4wheeler, why drive a convertible, why drive a big jeep, why ski when you can snowboard, why do anything.

Dude is probably sitting happy in a plush seat, enjoying the feeling of wind (that same feeling we feel), full stereo, room for his woman, plenty of torque under his nuts, handlebar in his hand (which probably most definitely has cruise control), backup abilities...not a shabby way to roll into work. Yeah he's not carving up canyons, or jumping table tops, or poppin wheelies past the cops, but he's most definitely enjoying the trill of being out in the open.

I think that because some folks have said that when you're too old to ride a bike, you get a trike if you want a close experience. The only people I've seen on them have been really old too.

The ones with two rear wheels don't seem to articulate those wheels making riding them a sort of annoyance. I've seen the newer kind which articulate the front two wheels (and I"ve ridden a scooter which does the same) which may make them handle ok but the ones I see seem to have to be fought through a turn.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachsv View Post

Because every person I have ever talked to who was riding a trike said they bought it because they got to old to ride their motorcycle anymore.

Not exactly scientific proof, but certainly significant even if anecdotal.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
In CA a motorcycle has two or three wheels and can have four if two of them are part of a sidecar.

A sidecar is also considered an accessory, just like a windshield or saddlebags.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
lethe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
In CA a motorcycle has two or three wheels and can have four if two of them are part of a sidecar.

A sidecar is also considered an accessory, just like a windshield or saddlebags.
sidecar with two wheels?
lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #13
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
One on each side?
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #14
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethe View Post
sidecar with two wheels?

Yes.

"One on each side?"

That too, but that's a different construction to a single sidecar with two wheels.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #15
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
I gave up my tricycle around 4-5 years old and have no desire to go back. A hack will be my choice.
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote