User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
tattoogunman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
How do you guys afford this?

Not trying to be a downer, but I read some of these reports and I have to ask the question. I'm broke and can't even afford a bike right now, let alone go on a year long trip around the world. Do you guys really make that much money that you can just afford to stop/drop your life for months (or longer) at a time and disappear? Again, not trying to be a downer, I'm just curious. It sucks being a 99%'er
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Zepfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Yea, No MEGA MILLIONS here either

It would be cool if folks on long trip, or.... even short ones posted all the expenses involved.

I'm really curious what folks like these have spent in total. Would be helpful for trip planning. Visas alone can blow a budget.

Mongolia tour 2011 : Prague to Ulaanbaatar and back
Radioman Rides the World.......
Alaska to Argentina - N69S54A
Underboning the World - 2 Symbas, 1 Couple, No Sense
Tiffany's Trail to Tibet
33 1/3 N C S + Cuba
Can a Harley make it to Magadan?

I spent around 10k on my trip to Panama and back. Loosing my rotor & stator ( 1 month down time ) in S.J., C.R. didn't help.
Gotta find the queen of all my dreams.
Zepfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepfan View Post
Yea, No MEGA MILLIONS here either

It would be cool if folks on long trip, or.... even short ones posted all the expenses involved.

I'm really curious what folks like these have spent in total. Would be helpful for trip planning. Visas alone can blow a budget.
Seven months from SLC to Moscow to Nepal overland & flying back from Mumbai was about $6000 including buying and selling local vehicles.

South America should require about $1500 a month, less if in a country with subsidized gas. There are many ways to do big trips if you are so inclined. The proliferation of cheap Chinese bikes has really opened up lots of opportunities world wide.

I am guessing that India would be the cheapest, $1500 for air fair from the states. $600 for some pos Enfield, you'll get about half that back or more when you sell it. $300 to 600 for travel & living. Plan on at least 3 months.

My main suggestion is to get out of debt.

Bolivia

Tibet

• Peruvian Andes (3 months)
• N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) ••• Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
There's a thread very similar to this in Trip Planning. Might be a few answers for you in there.
IMHO a large part of it is your priorities in life.Travel or big house, fancy car, dinner out 4 nights a week, etc., etc.
Good luck.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
IMHO a large part of it is your priorities in life.Travel or big house, fancy car, dinner out 4 nights a week, etc., etc.
Good luck.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
daveoneshot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
I'm faux-retired....meaning NO Ira's, nothing in the stock market, no real retirement. So, Im 70 now, still working and
generally having a decent life, no pain, one bike, looking for a KLR to ride to Alaska, in 2013. The BMW airhead is not
the bike I will take. I'm looking at 10,000 bucks for this trip. I hope it'll be enough. Going to Alaska will be like a trip
around the world for me, especially starting out from Key West, Florida.
daveoneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
LS650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoogunman
I'm broke and can't even afford a bike right now, let alone go on a year long trip around the world.
Why do you think most of the folks here are reading and not riding??

I saw a similar thread here a few weeks ago. Someone posted that going by the reports here the breakdown is about:
- 70% retired on a pension or savings.
- 10% have had a financial windfall (lottery, inheritance, legal settlement, etc.)
- 10% are between jobs, and not too worried about finding more work when they get back home.
- 10% save, save, save like dogs until they have a tidy bankroll.

I can totally relate to your complaint. I've been riding streetbikes for 20 years, and the longest road trip I've ever taken is 30 days in Australia - and I consider myself lucky, because that's about 29 days more than most motorcycle riders ever get to tour.

In that other thread I complained that I want to go for another extended ride but I can never get ahead with my savings: as soon as I get a little money saved up, some damned bill comes along and wipes it out. One fellow pointed something out: most people are in the same boat, only they have it worse because they have mortgages, kids, etc. If I got laid off tomorrow I could pick up and go, they couldn't.

I recommend you go check out the trip planning forums over at Horizons Unlimited. There are a few young guys over there who had next to no money, and said feck it and just went. Fly into a place that's cheap to backpack, like Thailand or Peru, buy a cheap Chinese-made 125cc, and start riding around with a tent and sleeping bag. Lately I've been putting more than a little thought into doing something like that myself....

I see you're in Texas. Scrimp up and buy a ratty old Japanese 400cc twin for a few hundred bucks, strap a bag and tent on the back, and head south for a couple of weeks into Mexico. That sounds like a pretty good adventure to me!
LS650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Wicked

I am sure not everyone who does huge trips just drops everything and goes for the gusto.
I have been planning a trip from where I live in Canada to TDF since I graduated university in 2009. The first year was just reading lonley planet books and researching where I wanted to go and what to do. Next was pick a bike and find one. So I bought a X-challenge with cash. The stage I am in now is modify the bike and make sure its ready to go while continuing to save for the main trip and still have fun in life (by the time the mods are done I will have the cost of the bike invested into it in extras)
So I am looking at probably fall 2013 departure, so 4 years in planning, prep, saving etc. I have not lived like a slouch or anything and still have gone on vacations every year with the mrs, and done everything I normally would want to. If I wanted to I could have spent a year saving and gone by spending 12 months sitting at home at night and never going out and enjoying myself
I have a good paying job which helps but not doing everything at once makes it seem like its less of a hit to the pocket, and I am still putting money away into traditional savings, and the bike prep although some of the things I have picked up are over the grand mark it is stuff I would have liked one day anyways
Just my 2 cents though. I wish I could just drop everything and head out still
I already cannot wait until I retire and have pension coming in and can get paid where ever I am doing what ever I want. Only 29 more years!!!
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
gr8grins
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Why?

As it was said before - it's priorities!
No one said you had to be in the 99%, it is only by choice that you are. The first step is accepting responsibility for your circumstances.
You can choose to be in the 1% and if you do the things required, you will be in the 1%.
This is still America and you can still do damn near anything YOU CHOOSE.
Most of the 1% is there because they CHOSE to work their ass off, not because daddy left them a bunch of dough.
Why do you think America is where the rest of the world wants to come? Because it's the land of opportunity and ANYONE can earn the right to be called rich here. No one will give it to you. You have to earn it.
Not happy with the way things turned out? No problem. Set some goals, make some decisions, and get going.
Find someone that's done what you want to do and model their behavior, habits, and drive.
If you keep doing what you're doing, you'll keep getting what you're getting
Henry Ford said it well "Weather you think you can or you think you can't, you're right"
Want to take a year off and ride the world? What a fantastic goal!

Google Brian Tracy - goal setting. You'll be riding the world sooner than you think. Seriously.
I know you're not trying to be a downer - you asked how people do it. That's how.

Please post a great ride report when you reach your goal...

Thanks!
gr8grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
BADDAD
" Bitter Clinger "

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8grins View Post
As it was said before - it's priorities!
No one said you had to be in the 99%, it is only by choice that you are. The first step is accepting responsibility for your circumstances.
You can choose to be in the 1% and if you do the things required, you will be in the 1%.
This is still America and you can still do damn near anything YOU CHOOSE.
Most of the 1% is there because they CHOSE to work their ass off, not because daddy left them a bunch of dough.
Why do you think America is where the rest of the world wants to come? Because it's the land of opportunity and ANYONE can earn the right to be called rich here. No one will give it to you. You have to earn it.
Not happy with the way things turned out? No problem. Set some goals, make some decisions, and get going.
Find someone that's done what you want to do and model their behavior, habits, and drive.
If you keep doing what you're doing, you'll keep getting what you're getting
Henry Ford said it well "Weather you think you can or you think you can't, you're right"
Want to take a year off and ride the world? What a fantastic goal!

Google Brian Tracy - goal setting. You'll be riding the world sooner than you think. Seriously.
I know you're not trying to be a downer - you asked how people do it. That's how.

Please post a great ride report when you reach your goal...

Thanks!
VERY well said!!!!

PLAN B SUCKS

When you don't know what you are doing you might as well do it quickly
BADDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
bay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
not that exspensive

hi,every year i take a two week riding vacation with my buddies,we always have an adventure because we always set out to have one.none of us are by anymeans rich far from it,my bike is 33 years old but does every thing i want it to.this year were off to norway and the whole trip will cost no more than 10 thousand kroner about one thousand pounds.we will be camping every night bbq every day and only spending money when we have to.you dont have to go round the world to find an adventure,adventure can be right on youre doorstep if you look.and you dont have to have a huge bank roll .i spend the same amount every year and ahve been to germany france spain belgium italy holland sweden finland poland russia greece switzerland and some i cant spell.if you want to go then go dont let what others do dictate what you think you should do.
imho.
bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay View Post
hi,every year i take a two week riding vacation with my buddies,we always have an adventure because we always set out to have one.none of us are by anymeans rich far from it,my bike is 33 years old but does every thing i want it to.this year were off to norway and the whole trip will cost no more than 10 thousand kroner about one thousand pounds.we will be camping every night bbq every day and only spending money when we have to.you dont have to go round the world to find an adventure,adventure can be right on youre doorstep if you look.and you dont have to have a huge bank roll .i spend the same amount every year and ahve been to germany france spain belgium italy holland sweden finland poland russia greece switzerland and some i cant spell.if you want to go then go dont let what others do dictate what you think you should do.
imho.
I just can't help commenting on this. The state of Texas is approx. 820 miles across. If you lay that line out in Europe, you can go from Paris to Bratislava. Thats four countries. Unless an American lives close to either the Mexican or Canadian border, he's not going to see many countries on a motorcycle on a two week trip. I've got a trip coming up in a couple of weeks from the Mississippi Coast to Key West, Florida. Thats about 950 miles. 950 miles, three states and I'll still be in the same country.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I just can't help commenting on this. The state of Texas is approx. 820 miles across. If you lay that line out in Europe, you can go from Paris to Bratislava. Thats four countries. Unless an American lives close to either the Mexican or Canadian border, he's not going to see many countries on a motorcycle on a two week trip. I've got a trip coming up in a couple of weeks from the Mississippi Coast to Key West, Florida. Thats about 950 miles. 950 miles, three states and I'll still be in the same country.
You can still cover that in a day though. Some other countries are not so quickly crossed, especially with crazy-long holdups at some borders, ferries that only run "occasionally", and "roads" that are more difficult to ride than some singletrack trails.

I did a little further than Tyler TX to Melbourne FL, in a day, on a DR650. Get a comfy multi-cylinder with a decent screen, seat, and ergos...you can cross the whole USA in 2-3 days of hard riding to get out of it. There's even a lot of stuff to see and do in just this country though.

To the OP...Live WELL below your means. Learn how to invest. Learn how to live inexpensively at home, as well as on the road. Learn how to make more money with less time invested. Develop depth and breadth to a transferable set of skills, so you can find odd jobs easily on long travels (MIG/TIG Welding, bartending, operating HE, FCC GROL, interpreting, etc.). Don't buy an expensive bike that guzzles gas, spits parts, needs an oil-change/tune-up/valve-shimming/set of expensive tires/top end every 1000 miles, and costs a fortune to insure.

Focus on cutting expenses and eliminating any debt first, then saving/investing more and more. If you can stay at it long enough and smart enough, you WILL get there.

Kommando screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 04:32 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #14
akabeton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Keep it simple

Keep it simple.

Not everyone can or even want to do a "Ewan" or "Charlie"

Get the appetite for adventure by doing a few short trips first, pack a tent, a change of underwear, Done.
If you find you like it, then start planning. Most of these things don't happen overnight.

You have an amazing resource (ADVrider) at your fingertips. Read some books, maybe Ted Simon.

Enjoy the process.

Enjoy the dreams too.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #15
kito
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
I did a RTW ride in 2009-2010 . every person that I had the pleasure to ride with worked hard and saved then hit the road ( only 1 of them had extra money from a redundancy payout ) . when I am at home I work hard and save . why spend £3 on a pint of beer here when i can have a full bottle of rum on a beach when on tour for the same cost.I like to rough camp for free and cook my own food ( added bonus stops the shits) .Even £5 a night on a camp site starts to add up and by the end of a trip can equal another month or more on the road. Think about it as if you are going for 1 year that is £1825 which is quite a lot when I was living on about £600 a month in CA and SA. Going slow is also a lot cheeper . Your biggest cost is shipping ,flying then fuel . after that it get cheep .
kito is offline   Reply With Quote