have you read this review?
http://www.justgottascoot.com/symhd200.htm

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,479
I worked for a SYM dealer briefly and although I did not ride the bike I did gather some opinion of the bike and SYM.

The bike feels like a quality build. Suspension and braking action feels good just from pushing the bike around. Seating position seems good for bigger riders and has good floorboard space that is flat.

Maintenance is a bit on the high side in my opinion. I think it was every 1,000 miles you were changing the oil or adjusting the valves. Also, the parts prices for genuine SYM replacement parts is very high. An accident could equal a total loss through insurance very quickly. Maintenance parts, still costly. Parts that are not available can often leave you down for weeks waiting for them to arrive.

The knowledge gained above is what steered me away and looking into other options.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 591
I wanted to buy a Sym HD200 a year and a half ago, or so. I road two and was favorably impressed. Couldn't buy one however because of the distribution debacle. I still have little confidence in parts availability, and of course the aftermarket is pretty well non-existent.

I don't think Sym is ready for prime time, in the US anyway.

I wound up getting a Vespa GTS 300 last summer and I couldn't be happier. A very refined, powerful, good handling, low maintenance scooter with great dealer support, parts availability, and the best aftermarket (by far) of any scooter.

I wouldn't bother with a small frame Vespa (150cc) based on what your intended use is. The large frame (200-300cc) Vespas are the way to go I think. If the cost of new is outside your budget there are usually low mileage 250s from time to time. The 200s are carbureted BTW.

My 300 gets 70mpg and has great power and brakes and for two up duty is far superior to smaller scoots.
'11 Vespa GTS300

kconville screwed with this post 04-08-2012 at 12:16 AM
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
I had a good long test ride on a HD200 (the rear drum brake version) and thought it was a very good scooter, but had an oportunity to buy my Scarabeo instead, but if not I would have bought the Sym. Nice quality scoot.

However, for your intended use, I would strongly consider the Vespa GTS 300 as it has real nice tie down points. Strapping a scooter down securely is very difficult, but with the Vespa tie down points on the frame it looks easy-peasy.
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
if you're really traveling, thien I would suggest an FI model

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
oldwingratbike
OldWing

Oddometer: 11
Dance !

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaBETAdog View Post
I had a good long test ride on a HD200 (the rear drum brake version) and thought it was a very good scooter, but had an oportunity to buy my Scarabeo instead, but if not I would have bought the Sym. Nice quality scoot.

However, for your intended use, I would strongly consider the Vespa GTS 300 as it has real nice tie down points. Strapping a scooter down securely is very difficult, but with the Vespa tie down points on the frame it looks easy-peasy.
"Canyon Dancer " handlebar Tie Down Strap works GREAT on a scooter..
1973 r60/5
1998 r1100gs May Bee
1970 ct-70
1978 cm 185 bobber
oldwingratbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwingratbike View Post
"Canyon Dancer " handlebar Tie Down Strap works GREAT on a scooter..
Thanks for the tip on the Canyon Dancer Bar Harnesses! I looked at their website and looks like just the ticket when tying down my scooters.
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #9
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
I don't know about your distribution situation but the scooter is rock solid. I've had mine from new for just under three years now and with over 18,000kms on the clock I couldn't fault it. Not as much as a broken light bulb and it might not have EFI but I don't care because it still starts the first time, every time. I admit it is not the most exciting looking scooter on the market, but its beauty is more than skin-deep. The only thing I don't like is its small(ish) storage space.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #10
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Ferrix-
Question for you- do you do your own servicing? How frequent and hard are the valves to access and adjust?
Sorry I can't answer that one as I let my mechanic to worry about all that detail :) Service intervals are a bit frequent at every 3,000km, in common with other SYM scooters... although I think I read somewhere SYM recently extended them across their whole range. It seems to me recommended service interval is really an almost completely arbitrary number and if you were doing your own work you could probably get away with less frequent services.
Then again if you don't ride much this might not be a major issue for you.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #11
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
Service intervals are a bit frequent at every 3,000km, in common with other SYM scooters... although I think I read somewhere SYM recently extended them across their whole range. It seems to me recommended service interval is really an almost completely arbitrary number and if you were doing your own work you could probably get away with less frequent services.

Them Service Intervals is usually just valves and oil changes I'd bet. Using a good quality synthetic oil, you can usually go even further than the recommended. Valves? Well I ain't touched em on my Elite 150 in 8K and they recommened a lot more frequent. No problems I's gonna check em now though.

But as ferrix meantioned if you says youse only fixin to ride 2,500 miles a year, sounds like 1 service a year is all!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:18 AM   #12
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Them Service Intervals is usually just valves and oil changes I'd bet. Using a good quality synthetic oil, you can usually go even further than the recommended. Valves? Well I ain't touched em on my Elite 150 in 8K and they recommened a lot more frequent. No problems I's gonna check em now though.

But as ferrix meantioned if you says youse only fixin to ride 2,500 miles a year, sounds like 1 service a year is all!
this is pretty right on, i think. the service intervals for some of these scoots are for "severe duty" and otherwise. more frequent then necessary. especially if not mecnanically inclined in the least

valves every 2500 miles? well it sure will save a DIY'er a good chunk of change to at least be able to check them if not confident enough to adjust them. but even so, most likely they are ok

guys on the Kymco board with over 15,000 miles on their scoots without ever touching the valves

i am against over servicing a scoot :)
Old 02-26-2013, 01:22 AM   #13
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
Sorry I can't answer that one as I let my mechanic to worry about all that detail :) Service intervals are a bit frequent at every 3,000km, in common with other SYM scooters... although I think I read somewhere SYM recently extended them across their whole range. It seems to me recommended service interval is really an almost completely arbitrary number and if you were doing your own work you could probably get away with less frequent services.
My Citycom has 21000 km on it and the valves need to be checked now. I know from experience that a small single will run and idle erratically with a tight valve, mine runs fine but it is starting to get a little noisy. Now that the bike is well run in I will probably get them checked every 25000 km when I replace the CVT belt. My mechanic suggested every 20,000 km was reasonable for a 250 class machine, SYM or Vespa.

If I was flogging the bike WFO frequently for long distance it would be different. I don't take it over 7000 ever and redline is Nine.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #14
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,236
I like it...

I had a chance to look an HD200 and an RV200 over today. I liked what I saw. The fit and finish looked good. The RV model caught my fancy. It fit me well and I came away with the conclusion it might be a neat scoot to put in the stable. I wish a test ride could have been taken, but the balance and feel of the scooter there in the showroom felt right. The performance of the engine, proven by the HD200, should provide a decent level of git up and go. Thinking there might be a lot of grins in that package. Considering the changes occuring in my riding habits, it looks like the RV would fill my future two wheel needs.
When the Majesty and Vulcan sell there will be some cash burning a hole in my pocket and I may go shopping.

On another note, the shop owner and I had a frank discussion about the "SYM situation". He felt good about the efforts of Alliance, the new distributor, and feels like they will continue making progress in developing support and parts availability.
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"

driller screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 07:27 PM
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #15
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I also rode 120 miles to look at the HD200, and found out about the RV200. No contest for me, if I were to buy a SYM, it would definitely be the RV200. The HD200 just has that Kymco People/Honda SH150i big wheeled look about it that I don't like in scooters. Part of my definition of a scooter is "small wheels"
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote