User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #1
d_mpls OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
already in trouble 1973 R75/5

Hello, 15 hours after purchasing my first airhead I'm already in trouble.

BIke:
R75/5

Brief summary:
I went to pick up the bike yesterday and rode it home (45 minutes ride) with no problems, all working correctly, all lights working.

This morning:
I went to start the bike and:
- neutral switch did not work (bike was in neutral, the light was off)
Everything else was fine, lights were on.

I started the bike and after a while i noticed:
- turning signals were not working

Arrived at work, park it. Went to start it again.
- now the bike won's start (nothing happening upon pushing the starter).
The red light on upper right is on. The head light is on, horn works

Worth noting:
I have jiggled and rotated the key a lot last night and this morning, because i'm still unfamiliar with the system and i still don't know where to turn or if to push or pull, so I may have caused the problem.

Am I missing something? Have I extracted the little key in the worng way last night? Or inserted it wrong and cause a short or drained the battery?

Please help and save me from calling a tow truck.

thanks
Daniel
d_mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 637
No need to call a tow, yet.

You can jump start the bike if the battery is dead or roll start it.I had a 75/5, did it a number of times. You can kick start it also, turn the engine over a few times with the bike OFF, then try to give it a kick. I always did it standing up and pushed down on the lever toward the footpeg.

You may have left the key in the ON position,yet pulled the key out, leaving the bike's ignition ON, thus draining the battery. Once the key goes down the hole the bike ignition is on...turning the key to either side, left (parking light) or to the right (headlight on position). It's easy to leave the bike ON with the key turned to either side, then pulling it out. I did it with mine and a moto guzzi eldo in the past, just being unfamilar with the bike.

If the battery is discharged enought NOT to start the bike, the dash lights will still work.

Your neutral switch issue could be a few things...it could be time for a new switch or the wiring could shotty.

Same with the turn signals...a loose or shorted wire or bad relay will cause that. IOne time on mine I had part of a bare wire short out inside the turn signal stalk. If you have fuses in the headlight, check those as well. Get a box of them at the auto parts store and to a little trial and error to see if you can get the fuses to blow if indeed they have shorted.

Both are pretty easy to trouble shoot with a multi meter, if you know how to use one and what to look for.

have a little patience, take it slow and you get back on the road in no time. That plus you will gain some knowledge.

Good luck, its just a small hiccup of new bike ownership.
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
d_mpls OP
Adventurer

started

Thank you. The kick start worked. Your tip on turning the engine on off first did it.

Now I have to figure out the the neutral switch and the turning signals. Could it be that because the battery is too dead some lights (like the neutral light and the signals) stop working?

Otherwise I'll follow what you guys have suggested with the fuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee thumper View Post
No need to call a tow, yet.

You can jump start the bike if the battery is dead or roll start it.I had a 75/5, did it a number of times. You can kick start it also, turn the engine over a few times with the bike OFF, then try to give it a kick. I always did it standing up and pushed down on the lever toward the footpeg.

You may have left the key in the ON position,yet pulled the key out, leaving the bike's ignition ON, thus draining the battery. Once the key goes down the hole the bike ignition is on...turning the key to either side, left (parking light) or to the right (headlight on position). It's easy to leave the bike ON with the key turned to either side, then pulling it out. I did it with mine and a moto guzzi eldo in the past, just being unfamilar with the bike.

If the battery is discharged enought NOT to start the bike, the dash lights will still work.

Your neutral switch issue could be a few things...it could be time for a new switch or the wiring could shotty.

Same with the turn signals...a loose or shorted wire or bad relay will cause that. IOne time on mine I had part of a bare wire short out inside the turn signal stalk. If you have fuses in the headlight, check those as well. Get a box of them at the auto parts store and to a little trial and error to see if you can get the fuses to blow if indeed they have shorted.

Both are pretty easy to trouble shoot with a multi meter, if you know how to use one and what to look for.

have a little patience, take it slow and you get back on the road in no time. That plus you will gain some knowledge.

Good luck, its just a small hiccup of new bike ownership.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
SRanger331
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Check the fuses. Pop off the head light, tabs on the bottom behind the come ring. The fuses are in black tubes in a black clip on the lower right front. Pull the tube, push and twist. 8 amp European auto fuses at most parts stores.
SRanger331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
d_mpls OP
Adventurer

fuses?

I have looked but I do not see fuses anywhere. Is it possible that this bike does not have them? (it is a 1973 R75/5).

image of headlight bucket
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?zpghxj9ebzdxvz9

Also, after I tried to put everything back together i notices that the bulb is not firm in place anymore, what am i missing, did something popped off without me realizing?

image of headlight bulb not firmly secured
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?3al2lzxuktxkqid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRanger331 View Post
Check the fuses. Pop off the head light, tabs on the bottom behind the come ring. The fuses are in black tubes in a black clip on the lower right front. Pull the tube, push and twist. 8 amp European auto fuses at most parts stores.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 637
No way of telling if the battery was causing other malfunctions until its charged fully and operational. I doubt it though.

Litte poking and prodding with the wires and a multi meter will tell you the problem(s) with a high degree of certainty.

You may or may not have fuses. Some don't depending on the year, most 73 did I believe.They may have been switched over to tube type fuses as well, I've seen that.

Also the occasional squirt of WD 40 in the key hole helped me keep the connections down there moving and working properly for nearly 20 years.

Cheers
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
Leadnuts
do-over...

Oddometer: 116
shot in the dark..

I very little about the electrics but I did had a similar problem with my 72' R75/5...

The turn signals were sometimes not working, then intermittently other lights didn't work. I hit a big bump in the road and the bike died on me! Got it home was looking in the headlight bucket an just happen to notice a small flash mark on the bucket itself, come to find out a wire would bounce into contact with the bucket when I hit a bump. I isolated the wire and was good to go.

good luck.

Leadnuts screwed with this post 04-24-2012 at 09:37 AM Reason: not to sound like an idiot
Leadnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Let me first explain how the /5 key thingy works. It has a few different positions, if the key is in the hole, but only pushed in one click, it is OFF. Iyou push the key in all the wy or DOWN al the way and the tab on the key is pointing straight forward or back, the ignition is ON but the lights are all OFF. Now all this relies on if the little indicator in the ignition hole is aligned correctly! Slide the cover out of the way and make sure the slot for the keyway on the key is in line with the tyres.

OK, if the key is IN and all the way DOWN, and the keyway is aligned correctly, the pointer on the key should be in line with the tyres if the lights are OFF but the ignition is ON so the bike will start and run. IF you point the pointer end of the key left as you are sitting on the bike, the running or City light (on the headlight) is ON, if you point it the other way, as in and to the right, the HEADLIGHT is on. the headlight dip is the switch on the left bar and up is high, momentary down is bright dip. straight to the left is low beam.

You can pull the key out in ANY position, and since I never tried this to see what happens, I don't know what WILL happen.

BUT I would always turn the pointer on the key to center before pulling it out and inserting it.

Now on to the neutral light, this same thing happened to my R100RS when the N light didn't work, the bike would not start. I fiddled with it and got the N light to come back on and the bike has been fine since and I seem to remember the commector for the N light on the sender had come a tad loose and when I fiddled it it came back to normaled.

Sniper X screwed with this post 04-25-2012 at 12:47 PM
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
d_mpls OP
Adventurer

thanks

Thank you very very much for these tips and insights.

I'm pretty sure I messed up something when i removed the key, i may have removed when turned left, and possible the battery then drained.

I'll try to work on the neutral light tonight. I'm terrified of opening the headlight bucket because i have pictures of some of those and they were über messy.

thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Let me first explain how the /5 key thingy works. It has a few different positions, if the key is in the holle, but only pushed in one click, it is OFF. Iyou push the key in all the wy or DOWN al the way and the tab on the key is pointing straight forward or back, the ignition is ON but the lights are all OFF. Now all this relys on if the little indicator in the ignition hole is aligned corectly! Alide the cover out of the way and make sure the slot for the keyway on the key is in line with the tyres.

OK, if the key is IN and all the way DOWN, and the keyway is aligned correctly, the pointer on the key should be in line with the tyres if the lights are OFF but the ignition is ON so the bike will start and run. IF you point the pointer end of the key left as you are sitting on the bike, the running or City light (on the headlight) is ON, if you point it the other way, as in and to the right, the HEADLIGHT is on. the headlight dip is the switch on the left bar and up is high, momentary down is bright dip. straight to the left is low beam.

You can pull the key out in ANY position, and since I never tried this to see what happens, I don't know what WILL happen.

BUT I would always turn the pointer on the key to center before pulling it out and inserting it.

Now on to the neutral light, this same thing happened to my R100RS when the N light didn't work, the bike would not start. I fiddled with it and got the N light to come back on and the bike has been fine since and I seem to remember the commector for the N light on the sender had come a tad loose and when I fiddled it it came back to normaled.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oh, and top the battery off and see what happens with everything. A partially flat battery on the /5 can cause a LOT of weird electrical problems, believe me, I know because I have been fucking with a questionable battery since I got mine and have had a myriad of problems till I finally replaced the battery and now everything works perfectly, even the e start.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
d_mpls OP
Adventurer

the original owner mentioned that the battery is not the newest and freshest piece on the bike, so i may bite the bullet and buy a brand new one.

Quote:
Oh, and top the battery off and see what happens with everything. A partially flat battery on the /5 can cause a LOT of weird electrical problems, believe me, I know because I have been fucking with a questionable battery since I got mine and have had a myriad of problems till I finally replaced the battery and now everything works perfectly, even the e start.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 434
Wicked

Oddessy PC680 battery will due you fine - Expensive but worth it!!!
Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

I bought an AGM battery at Walmart and can tell you which one it was and it works GREAT and fits perfectly and only cost $78.00. The one O took out of the bike was $169.95 at the BMW shop. The one from wally has a 2 year warranty too. If you want me to Ill give you the model number for the wally battery.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #14
d_mpls OP
Adventurer

yes please

Hey Sniper, please shoot the model number this way. No pun intended with "shoot" and your name.

Daniel

Quote:
I bought an AGM battery at Walmart and can tell you which one it was and it works GREAT and fits perfectly and only cost $78.00. The one O took out of the bike was $169.95 at the BMW shop. The one from wally has a 2 year warranty too. If you want me to Ill give you the model number for the wally battery.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_mpls View Post
Hey Sniper, please shoot the model number this way. No pun intended with "shoot" and your name.

Daniel
Will do, I'll look tonight.