User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
isdt BMW OP
willserv@aol.com

Oddometer: 246
70's ISDT BMW

OK, Here is the deal. Just bought a R-60/6 frame, motor, trans, swingarm, and subframe. Building an ISDT replica, want to keeep the long wheelbase, and trade the subframe for a short one. Any trades out there? Have a set of Husqvarna forks, wheel and triple clamps. Have IMS footpegs and holders off of a Cannondale. Have a set of Works dual spring shocks one inch longer than stock BMW. using Acerbes front and rear fenders, Preston Petty headlight/numberplate. Have Enduro rubber taillight liscense plate holder. Will cut and lengthen framestand. Making highpipe 2 into1 exhaust with alloy spark arrester muffler. Using Husky enduro speedo and drive. Using Clark plastic gastank. Making alloy skidplate. Need some photos of 70's ISDT bikes.

You may have seen some photos of my 1957 ISDT replica (some posted on this site) I broke my femur and need a taller button start bike. Will use as little wiring as possible and still maintain E start. May try to modify a Husky seat to fit. Any ideas welcome

Thanks, Bruce
isdt BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
elite-less
As above, so below

Oddometer: 539
Sounds like a cool project!

With all that fabrication work listed..... the easiest part would seem to be shortening your existing LWB subframe.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
Tanami
Under The Weather

Oddometer: 292
time to brush up on your german...

http://2-ventiler.de/vbboard/showthr...Enduro-Replika
Tanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #4
lockyv7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanami View Post

Now that is building a bike from scratch.
lockyv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
isdt BMW OP
willserv@aol.com

ISDT replica

Somewhere in here are photos of my 57 R-50 ISDT replica, One of the old gold medal winning six days guys asked me where I got a factory bike, I took that as a compliment, I can fab what I want, I have a 70 year old lathe and a 30 year old mill, and torches and a couple of welders. If I can restore that 09 NSU, anything is possible. Plus I have a buddy that is a retired tool maker, and another that is a tinsmith, and another that is a nuclear welder, you don't really need talent, just befriend it. We all share our knowledge and help one another.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by isdt BMW View Post
You may have seen some photos of my 1957 ISDT replica (some posted on this site) I broke my femur and need a taller button start bike. Will use as little wiring as possible and still maintain E start. May try to modify a Husky seat to fit. Any ideas welcome

Thanks, Bruce
This one?

pbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
isdt BMW OP
willserv@aol.com

57 r50isdt

There is my little racer, Some details, 500cc, 5 ring pistons, standard bore, 34k on motor, cleaned slingers at 30k and replaced all motor bearings as the nose bearing on the cam was bad, lightened flywheel by 4 pounds, reground valves, skid plate from an Ossa, headlight guard from a Jeep, made the high pipes from old headers, crash bars from a /2, the muffler and heat shields are original Hoske 6 days items as is the rear lifting stay, not visible on the other side is a compressed air bottle, axles have tommy bars to facilate one wrench to do quick tire changes, leather tool bags are from Hi-Point, rear rack is an original Witte, number plates from a Penton, visable on crossbar is an enduro route sheet holder with a route sheet from the Berkshires, VDO enduro rubber mount 8 day clock on crossbar, 2 Beru plugs with wrench on crashbar, other side of crashbar has the Hagus mirror, front fender is from old Capitol Cycle stock, it is original paint, still use it in a few vintage enduros. It is an early 57 with the /3 style battery and the small taillight.

Now to build another one as I detailed above.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
There is my little racer, Some details, 500cc, 5 ring pistons, standard bore, 34k on motor, cleaned slingers at 30k and replaced all motor bearings as the nose bearing on the cam was bad, lightened flywheel by 4 pounds, reground valves, skid plate from an Ossa, headlight guard from a Jeep, made the high pipes from old headers, crash bars from a /2, the muffler and heat shields are original Hoske 6 days items as is the rear lifting stay, not visible on the other side is a compressed air bottle, axles have tommy bars to facilate one wrench to do quick tire changes, leather tool bags are from Hi-Point, rear rack is an original Witte, number plates from a Penton, visable on crossbar is an enduro route sheet holder with a route sheet from the Berkshires, VDO enduro rubber mount 8 day clock on crossbar, 2 Beru plugs with wrench on crashbar, other side of crashbar has the Hagus mirror, front fender is from old Capitol Cycle stock, it is original paint, still use it in a few vintage enduros. It is an early 57 with the /3 style battery and the small taillight.

Now to build another one as I detailed above.
I've been slowly working on a John Penton R27 ISDT replica. You have inspired me with this bike. Very cool. I've got to get to work.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvadney View Post
I've been slowly working on a John Penton R27 ISDT replica...

let's hear it.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,428
Not really what you're going for, but definitely noteworthy:

http://www.evum.it/

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
Rockcat
LDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner View Post

let's hear it.
Not much to say yet. It is all in pieces in my shop. JP used an Ariel front end instead of the leading link forks and I have a front end from a BSA Alloy Clipper that looks the same. I walk past it every day, but looking at this '57 made me move it to the front and plan on putting it all back together. I'm not into garage queens, so I'll keep as much of the original patina as possible. I'd like to race it at one of the AHRMA ISDT RR's when done and then cruise the local fire roads here in OR.

Rockcat screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 03:20 PM
Old 05-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
isdt BMW OP
willserv@aol.com

J Penton ISDT single

I rebuilt motor on the JP bike, it still exists!!! Parts were in Florida, some in the Carolinas, and some still in Amherst Oh. The bike is in Amherst, about 60 percent restored. Hopefully, he will be able to finish it this year.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #13
Rockcat
LDA

Quote:
I rebuilt motor on the JP bike, it still exists!!! Parts were in Florida, some in the Carolinas, and some still in Amherst Oh. The bike is in Amherst, about 60 percent restored. Hopefully, he will be able to finish it this year.
That would be a great bike to see, pictures would be great. I met JP at Sears Point in 2001, I think, I have never been so intimidated in my life. I'm sure he thought I was a f@&$)(;:/ moron as he signed my book. After reading his book, I started looking for a donor bike. Sorry if I sidetracked your thread.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
Tanami
Under The Weather

Oddometer: 292
Great thread.

Stumbled across this link. Lots of good pics. Have not translated it so not sure what the Laverda link is? anyone know?

http://2-ventiler.de/vbboard/showthr...Laverda-BMW-GS

Stu
Tanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #15
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanami View Post
Great thread.

Stumbled across this link. Lots of good pics. Have not translated it so not sure what the Laverda link is? anyone know?

http://2-ventiler.de/vbboard/showthr...Laverda-BMW-GS

Stu
Read your post, followed the link and started on the translation.

Cliff's Notes version is that the head of new product development at BMW was good friends with his counterpart at Laverda.
He felt that it would take to long to build the prototype at BMW so he contracted Laverda to build three examples.
(What's quite interesting is that the request for an Enduro came from the American importer who was loosing market share to the invasion of Japanese Scramblers)

The prototypes were built in a short five weeks. The fork came from Marzocchi, the front hub from Grimeca, the rims from Akront, the controls from Magura while the tank and seat came from the shelves of Bernardi Mozzi and Giuliari, who were regular Laverda suppliers. The fenders came from Preston Petty and Sands which were already used on the Laverda-Husqvarna 125 und 250.

Schek was not impressed, especially with the single shock rear suspension and exclaimed that the bikes that he had prepared for the ISDT were far superior. BTW, the Schek prepared bikes originally weighed 135 kilos (297 lbs) which eventually dropped to 125 kilos, ( 275 lbs)

I'll work on the translation as I find time and post it once it's done.

Kai Ju screwed with this post 08-07-2012 at 12:14 AM
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote