Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Mini Trail OP
nb

Oddometer: 2,152
This fuel is killing me is there an additives that will help?

I put a new kickstart shaft in my Cl100 three weeks ago and started it with just a splash of fuel in the tank. The carb was in pieces for two years. Tonight I was trying to sort out an electrical and the throttle started sticking. I pulled the slide and there was varnish on it after 3 weeks.

My 750 keeps clogging up on cylinder #4. I haven't had a decent chance to ride it so I try to start it every couple of weeks. Every time it has a miss on #4 and I have to pull the bowl and clear it out. I don't know why, #4 it is the highest carb when on the side stand.

I was figuring on getting some stabil at the hardware store but thought would check with the brain trust to see if something else will work. I remember some old timers adding marvel mystery oil or Klotz 100 to 1 to their tanks. It doesn' the seem to affect my newer bikes but I have been riding them more too. It seem to affect my cheap weed eaters but not my Still saw. Same with my cheap Poulin tiller but not my mower.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
I use Berryman B-12 at a rate of 3/4 ounce per gallon. Run it for 2 tanks and then as you feel the need. I have pulled off many carbs after running this stuff and the bowels are clean! This is good stuff.
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 621
We have tried them all, this is the best. Three years of use now, no ethenol issues, no gum up or water problems.

No idea how it would clean things, as we go through everything by disassembly, then run the startron after everything is good and clean.

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/
Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:37 AM   #4
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,573
Ethanol is almost certainly to blame; you don't say how old your bikes are, but looking at E5 and E10, the Australian Government had this to say: "The essential thing to note however is that if your car is a performance car, especially turbo or supercharged, than ethanol fuel may not be for you."
Funnily enough, American-made vehicles are the most impervious to ethanol fuels - including Harleys; Japanese motorcycles don't like it much.
If you're near an airfield, AvGas has NO ethanol in it and retains its volatility for months.
There's a message in that, right there!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Ethanol is almost certainly to blame; you don't say how old your bikes are, but looking at E5 and E10, the Australian Government had this to say: "The essential thing to note however is that if your car is a performance car, especially turbo or supercharged, than ethanol fuel may not be for you."
Funnily enough, American-made vehicles are the most impervious to ethanol fuels - including Harleys; Japanese motorcycles don't like it much.
If you're near an airfield, AvGas has NO ethanol in it and retains its volatility for months.

Good luck getting any airfield fueling station in the US to sell you a can of avgas, let alone, put some in your bike.
Some years ago, a well-known motorcycle magazine editor was literally begging an airport attendant to sell him a tank of avgas for a BSA that he'd just purchased, and was trying to ride home, only to discover the hard way that it was running 11:1 compression.
The airport guy didn't care.
By the time he made it home on the 92 octane that we call premium, the engine was pretty well ruined by detonation.

The solution (depending on what state you live in; Oregon is one...) is to go to a local marina or a gas station near a lake, and buy some of the fuel reserved for boaters. They'll will happily fill a gas can, and at least in Oregon, if you drive or ride up with an older car or motorycle, they'll sell you some.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,579
This is your best bet: http://pure-gas.org/

Looking in your area: http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=TN

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,167
Great idea for a thread and thanks, everyone, for the links.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post

Steve
Nice. Thanks for the link. That really opens up options for riding our old bikes.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post

Steve
30 million plus and we have five gas stations in the state selling pure gas
Old 05-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
Mini Trail OP
nb

Oddometer: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
The county airport is just a couple of miles from my house. I rode my 750 there just yesterday and was wondering if they would sell me a couple of gallons. I may go next Saturday and ask. They also have a huge tank of Jet A which I thought was odd since I have seen exactly two jets land there in the 13 years I have lived in the landing path. I suppose the helicopters use it too.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,932
Yeah, jet turbine copters use Jet A also....

But back to the Avgas topic. My local airport here on the Island will sell me 100 octane LL in my gas can no problem. I use it primarily in my lawn equipment which sits longer than the bikes do. My neighbor around the corner uses it exclusively in his 70s Bonneville.

It was tedious getting me set up in their computer since I didn't have a tail number, but we got it set up.

I also have marina less than 2 miles away that is listed on the website as having non-ethanol gas, but I haven't checked it out yet.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote