Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
Mackey OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Adventure On A 250cc

Hi there!

I have been on this website for about 3 months now, and during that time I have worked my ass off, read hundreds of reports, started my training, passed my bike test, bought a bike and finally quit my jobs.

Now it's time for the adventure!

I will set off south from York (England) on the 16th of May, and board a ferry to France. I plan to see my sister in Switzerland then head east from there. Apart from that, what happens over the next three months is anybody's guess

I have a fantastic little Honda CD250u which has served me impeccably over the last 2500 miles since I passed my test at the end of March. Here it is:

Doing my first oil change:

Sticking together a sturdy topbox:

Doing some tyre swapage:

Trying out some bike packs:

So, three days 'till I set off. Will try to report a couple of times a week, bleedin' exited!

My name is Ryan

Mackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,283
Damnd fine intro. Watching from across the "Pond".
Old 05-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
New Adventures

Ryan,
Obviously your trip to Wales didn't kill your enthusiasm. Good for you. Take care, enjoy yourself and keep us up to date.

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
Mackey OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post
Ryan,
Obviously your trip to Wales didn't kill your enthusiasm. Good for you. Take care, enjoy yourself and keep us up to date.

Nick
Hey! You saw my report? I promise this one will be 1000 times better

And Winkelfinger, I actually plan to ride through the Black Forest between the 19th and the 21st of May! Would be awesome to go out for a ride or something :) Not quite sure what you mean by Program though?

Thanks for the interest guys, Happy riding!
Old 05-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
Winkelfinger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
PTA - is that program???

Hey Ryan,
if the license plate of yours is program (Pain in The A.....), youre going to have lots of adventures with your Honda!
If adventure takes you anywhere near Stuttgart in Germany, give me a PM, Ill be happy to host you and your bike! We have the Black Forest here and quite a few other nice places which might be on your way!

Have fun, ride carefully and enjoy!

Winkelfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,013
Good going, Ryan.

We look forward to hearing how your gear performs and how the bike rips through the various Swiss mountain passes.

Great adventure.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
Winkelfinger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Black Forest

Your timing looks good! Ill send you a PM with my contact details so that you can reach me - and then Ill be happy to tell the story about the program, maybe its just a German saying that doesnt translate....
Winkelfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
Mackey OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelfinger View Post
Your timing looks good! Ill send you a PM with my contact details so that you can reach me - and then Ill be happy to tell the story about the program, maybe its just a German saying that doesnt translate....
Whehey! I can't wait! Loads of fun to be had.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Nice set up Ryan! I would not overload your top box. The box is already a bit heavy I'd guess. Sub frame/rack can only take so much. Limit load to about 12 kg. Max.

Save headaches later ... don't neglect your chain and sprockets! (You know that greasy thing that makes your wheel go round that you've never looked at! ) I only mention this as SO MANY ADV'ers (many who should know better) have been sidelined by this lately.

Always smart to start a new, long ride with NEW chain (NO, not the cheapo one, get a quality O or X ring DID chain) and OE sprockets. Expensive? Yep, but will last you over 25,000 miles no worries ... even if you never oil it. And please, no Scott Auto Oilers. They just make a mess. Keep it clean, that is the key to long chain life. Lightly oil with inexpensive 90 wt. gear oil. Wipe off excess.

Got spare tubes? Tire Irons? Know how to use them? Spare Clutch/Brake levers? How are your cables? Oil 'em at connection points. Battery new? Another must do, IMO.

That's a solid little bike. Keep QUALITY oil in it and it should be great!
Rubber Side Down man!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
Irishrover63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I think he meant acronym for PTA. Good luck with your trip mate.
Irishrover63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
stamp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Good on you dude

I saw your wales trip to, im going up there on the 8 of june for a few days on my KLE 500 should be fun

If u need a place to stay in kent let me no i have a field cold beer and a fire what needs burning
stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
Mackey OP
Adventurer

Box is actually pretty light! Sneaky Aluminium

New chain and sprockets just arrived, with spare tubes, sparkplugs and tyres. After the same advice from MANY people on here and pretty much everyone I speak to. So very sound advice :) Thanks for the advice!

Now just trying to gather a list of essential tools to take, is there anywhere I can find a generic check-list? Also just discovered a disheartening clattering noise from my gearbox. Will have to figure out how to deal with that too!

Yes Stamp! I hope you have better weather in Wales than they've had for the last couple of months and thanks for the offer of a field, sounds ideal
Old 05-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #13
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Basic Tool Kits

I tried to add comments before but ADV was down for a while. OK now ... I hope.
Above are two kits. One day riding kit, other more long term. Thing to do is take only exactly what you need tool wise and no more. Only Allens that fit bike. If no Allens used, then leave at home. All the shown stuff is for my DR650 Suzuki. But lots shown is universal. Not shown are tire irons ... I recommend 3 irons. Spare tubes are important. Don't patch a flat on the road. Just replace tube and patch tube later at camp over a Beer. Try out your travel kit tools at home in the shed to make sure you can do basic stuff. You won't be doing a major re-build so leave the HD stuff at home. Not needed. Notice I only have 1/4" drive socket set. I do carry variety of spanners and sockets in 8, 10, 12, 13 (some bikes use NO 13mm sizes), 14mm. Some other wrenches for 17mm, 19mm and 22 or 24mm (if needed on your bike) Bring any special tools you may need ... and none you don't. Be ruthless in your tool editing. Any good shop along the road will have 100 times more tools than you. Know this.
My tools are beat up from riding off road, doing tens of thousands of miles on the road. Everything is used.

I would bring a small nut and bolt spares kit. OE sized nuts, bolts, washers, bits and pieces as needed.
Glues and JB weld Epoxy products can be useful. Spare levers good. Small electrical kit. VOM optional. Patch kit. Fresh glue, re-new often. Spare master link. (should not be needed for at least 15K miles if you've bought a decent chain. I always carry a spare front sprocket and change it proactively at around 10,000 miles. Extends chain life greatly as MOST chain wear is caused by a worn front sprocket. Use OE or JT, not some cheapo one.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 05:05 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #14
Marylander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I always carry a spare front sprocket and change it proactively at around 10,000 miles. Extends chain life greatly as MOST chain wear is caused by a worn front sprocket. Use OE or JT, not some cheapo one.
Interesting idea. I'll have to give this a try. Thanks!

I am jealous. This looks like a great adventure. Enjoy!
Marylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
Irishrover63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackey View Post
Box is actually pretty light! Sneaky Aluminium

New chain and sprockets just arrived, with spare tubes, sparkplugs and tyres. After the same advice from MANY people on here and pretty much everyone I speak to. So very sound advice :) Thanks for the advice!

Now just trying to gather a list of essential tools to take, is there anywhere I can find a generic check-list? Also just discovered a disheartening clattering noise from my gearbox. Will have to figure out how to deal with that too!

Yes Stamp! I hope you have better weather in Wales than they've had for the last couple of months and thanks for the offer of a field, sounds ideal
You could edit this list compiled by Mully:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=749495&page=5
Irishrover63 is offline   Reply With Quote