User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Getting a spare key, WTF?

When we bought our 2010 1200GS it came with 2 keys. We lost one. I want to replace it. I called the dealer where I bought the bike (they are 1,000 miles away in Utah) and explained the situation. He said to fax him proof of ownership like the title and drivers license and they would send me a key. I faxed all the required forms to him and called the next day. He said (not sure if I was talking to the same guy) that the faxed info would not work and I would have to come in in person with my title and drivers license to get a key. Can you imagine being stranded in some remote location without a key and being told you could only get one in person at a shop that's 2,000 miles away?

One might say, "well, just get one at your local dealer". The closest dealer is 175 miles from here.

The next step is to call the store manager, she was gone today so I'll give it a go tomorrow. I was on the phone for over an hour today trying to fix this issue. I've replaced keys in the past without a problem, not sure what the deal is now.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,776
That's the way it is for the hex/camheads, unlike the oilheads whose keys can be cut by your local locksmith. Heard too that all keys come from the Fatherland.
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
2011 1200GSA. Lost my plastic key, ordered a new metal key from the dealership that I bought the bike from; $55.

Got a call saying that I have to come back into the shop to reprogram the bike to accept the new key - otherwise the computer will see it as a theft and shut the bike down. Add another $70 to do that.

Haven't done that yet, but it is on the list.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
2011 1200GSA. Lost my plastic key, ordered a new metal key from the dealership that I bought the bike from; $55.

Got a call saying that I have to come back into the shop to reprogram the bike to accept the new key - otherwise the computer will see it as a theft and shut the bike down. Add another $70 to do that.

Haven't done that yet, but it is on the list.
You don't need to do any programming if you order the key from the dealer. It's plug and play. If a key goes missing, the EWS, the control unit in charge of security, can be told to ignore that key through use of the dealer's computer.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
David13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
XB
Whatever you do, do not buy a fancy new car. And then loose the key.
dc

I should also mention, they are trying to prevent thieves or just some unauthorized person from getting a key to someone else's bike.
David13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
legalbeagle
Stay thirsty

Oddometer: 71
new key

I doesn't make sense to me that they need the bike. I have a 2007 GS that I needed a spare key for. The dealer (who didn't sell me the bike) needed my title and DL to order the correct key from BMWNA. He faxed the info and took my $ and they sent me the correctly coded key. Other than the mailing delay, it was pretty slick.

Seems easier than programming the bike to accept new keys. Does anyone know why BMW changed?
legalbeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
bloc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Just a guess, but newer immobilization systems typically have a permanent RFID "code" for each and every key that makes it unique, which means they usually need to program the vehicle to accept that new "code" as having permission to start it. Despite having great aftermarket software that allows you TONS of coding and adaptation options on VWs for the past 15 years or so, programming keys still requires deep digging (that only most tuners can do) in the ECU file for an "SKC" that is needed to tell the ECU to accept new keys.

If it really bothers you, one workaround (or at least on VWs it has been done, the theory would be the same here) is to remove the RFID "pill" from a functioning key, and permanently mount it within range of the sensor antenna. This would obviously make the bike a whole lot easier to steal.. though most thieves would assume the bike had a working immobilizer function and likely pass it up anyway.

bloc screwed with this post 05-15-2012 at 09:35 PM
bloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,587
Just hot wire it!
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloc View Post
Just a guess, but newer immobilization systems typically have a permanent RFID "code" for each and every key that makes it unique, which means they usually need to program the vehicle to accept that new "code" as having permission to start it.
You order the key from BMW with the proper documentation, wait for it to arrive and when it does, insert in the ignition, turn the bike on and start it.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

Old 05-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
You order the key from BMW with the proper documentation, wait for it to arrive and when it does, insert in the ignition, turn the bike on and start it.
I needed a key for my previous 2005 1200GS and that's exactly the way it worked. I thought it would be the same proceedure for the 2010.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,277
Well, Not Exactly

Quote:
Just a guess, but newer immobilization systems typically have a permanent RFID "code" for each and every key that makes it unique, which means they usually need to program the vehicle to accept that new "code" as having permission to start it.
Actually the ECU on my '07 GSA has I believe 7 [9?] key codes pre-programmed for my bike...any of the 7 will work in the bike...you lose a key with the #1 code on it...you pay the $$$$$$$$$ and they sell you a new key with the #2 code on it...and so on as you lose keys..

The previous codes on replaced keys are forever invalid...

I believe that all these 'wonder keys' for the BMW motorcycles are set up with these backup extra codes that will recognize each other.

Wallowa screwed with this post 05-15-2012 at 09:41 PM
Wallowa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #12
bloc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Like I said, just taking a guess. The system I described is in use on a lot of vehicles, and though I have no idea specifically what they built into the OP's bike, it could explain why they need access to the motorcycle.
bloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #13
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,277
Ah, They Don't..

Quote:
Like I said, just taking a guess. The system I described is in use on a lot of vehicles, and though I have no idea specifically what they built into the OP's bike, it could explain why they need access to the motorcycle.
I bought an extra key through the mail by sending the proper paper trail documentation...from a local [85miles] dealer; and not the dealer I bought the bike from...he never saw my bike...all the back up key codes for my VIN are in the BMW computer...they just issue an original code, as in my case, or a replacement code in the case of a lost key.
Wallowa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #14
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Keep guessing somewhere else. It's not very helpful in the context of this thread. Especially when other people have had actual experience buying extra keys for their bikes. They don't need the motorcycle to make the key work. It comes from BMW physically cut to fit and programmed to work with the electronics.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #15
EggChaser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
The key are all coded - the reason to match the purchase to your bike is so the the physical bumps and ridges in the slot match up to the mechanical security of the lock (for your ignition and luggage locks)

The coding itself does as far as I know need a visit to the dealer as that is random and not specific to the bike you own - until the linking to the bike is done anyway.

When I bought my GS, the dealer included a plastic slimline "wallet" key as well as the 2 standard keys. The wallet key is an emergency item to carry just in case you lose the main key so does contain a coding chip but would wear out if used every day. Not sure off hand how many keys can be coded to a single GS, but it is at least 3.

Oh and if you lose a key you go to the dealer with all your remaining keys and they remove the lost key from the security of the bike so that it can no longer be used to start the bike (which again shows that the keys have different codes)
EggChaser is offline   Reply With Quote