User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
WTF why cant I make up my mind

So I have a little dilemma.... I love my SE but seams like living in a crowded area it takes forever and lot of freekin miles to get to some dirt My issue I have is the SE will wear on me befor I even get there off road the bike is a beast but with the super tall seat height and the lack of dash/fairing on rod is not too fun... Im on the fence about selling it and getting a 990 Adv my only issue is if I sell it I pry wont find another one around here
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Unkgd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Be like Questor

Be like Questor (and others ) and have one of each

I am on the other side of the equation - have the 990 ADV and keep wondering if I want the SE as most of my rides on the ADV are around town to pick stuff or to go out to the trails and ride. Very little highway travel as I have other bikes for that.

One of these days I will get a ride on an SE - and will be so screwed!
Unkgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
kanur
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
I have an SE and want to keep it and ad an ADV so I don't have to make up my mind

Maybe if I sell my airhead PD
Old 05-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

I do have a 640 adv but that is not the same.. I like having the long range with the 8 gal tank and the dash/fairing is really nice to go down the freeway but man what a turd like a loud fart can sounds like your hauling ass but then you look at the speedo and remember that it aint no vtwin.

One thing I found that was really interesting was that when i sit on a 990R I can put both feet on the ground.. on the SE its one toe I was always under the impression that the R was the same hight
Old 05-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
Unkgd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Spring Rate?

I am guessing that your SE has stiffer springs in the front than a 990 ADV (which I thing are .48 stock). Softer springs - more sag.
Unkgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Im not sure on the spring rate on the SE I do know it has 2 thick spacers ontop of the springs But I do have the preload at almost 0 off road its a beast on the slab its not so great not bad but not stellar
Old 05-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
mattc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Don't get me wrong, I Love my 990 R but I do wish for some middle ground between its weight and the dirtbikeness of my XR650R. It's either too much of a sport tourer with the 990 or too far to the good riding on the XRR.. I think the SE would fit right in.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
I actually bought the SE for that reason. It's a ways to the dirt, and trafficy, so rather then haul my dirtbike, buy a bike that kicks ass on road, and still is fun off road. I prefer riding the SE over the Ducati for an hour or two of pavement. Over 100 miles straight, the red bike will make me happier. Of course, I like the tall seat and stiff springs, and the lack of nonsense over the fender on road too. The only downside with riding the SE on the road (imho) is the tires. Oh, and the lights, if it's dark.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
max2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Never ever ever EVER sell your Super Enduro...I did..and I've been bummed ever since...I've owned over 50+ motorcycles and the 950SE is by far the funnest motorcycle I have ever owned...never ever ever EVER sell it....

I've owned a 950 SE, a 950SM, and a 950 ADV S...Hands down the SE was the most fun. I put a 690 wind screen on it and it helped take some of the air off your chest. The ADV-S wind buffeting would kill me after an hour, so I had to sell it (I tried 5 diffrent wind screens). I have a 690R now, the fun factor is close to the SE, but it lacks the HP and smoothness of the V-Twin on the road.
2007 KTM Super Enduro - Sold - HUGE Mistake letting it go
2006 KTM Adventure S - Sold / 2007 KTM 950 Supermoto - Sold
max2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:05 AM   #10
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by max2 View Post
Never ever ever EVER sell your Super Enduro...I did..and I've been bummed ever since...I've owned over 50+ motorcycles and the 950SE is by far the funnest motorcycle I have ever owned...never ever ever EVER sell it....

I've owned a 950 SE, a 950SM, and a 950 ADV S...Hands down the SE was the most fun. I put a 690 wind screen on it and it helped take some of the air off your chest. The ADV-S wind buffeting would kill me after an hour, so I had to sell it (I tried 5 diffrent wind screens). I have a 690R now, the fun factor is close to the SE, but it lacks the HP and smoothness of the V-Twin on the road.
Listen to the wise man. There are certain bikes. I have regretted selling my XLV750R forever...Will they make another SE in the next ten years? Think not. If I sold mine I know I’d regret it and finding another wouldn’t be easy.
Short list for me is a 690E and an Adv...pos 1200 when its released but I can’t see its going to be better than the current Adv.
When I toy with the idea of selling the SE, reality for me is a one bike garage...What would I replace it with.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
eshelton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Same here
eshelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #12
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:

MAX Speaks the truth. I had a 690 as well. 690 and 950 are close, 690 is better dirt, 950 is better street, duh? Both are big fun.

I don't mind the nakedness at all on my SE. Of course, I have never had a road bike, so what do I know?

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #13
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan View Post
MAX Speaks the truth. I had a 690 as well. 690 and 950 are close, 690 is better dirt, 950 is better street, duh? Both are big fun.

I don't mind the nakedness at all on my SE. Of course, I have never had a road bike, so what do I know?

They make bikes for just the road?????

Wheres the fun in that
Old 05-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #14
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,002
Spenser, Lets hit a ride here soon and you can ride mine for a comparison..Im very happy with my S
I don't think its that much of a off road compromise over the SE, but it has the amenities that are necessary for how I use the bike.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #15
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Sweet

I would defiantly like to try an ADV 990/950...Daryl we will have to go for a ride need to get some more fork seals though blew my left side out again for the 3rd time going to try a little less oil this next time.

As mentioned before I would hate to sell this thing and then find out oooppppss that was dumb I've looked into a few wind screens and possibly Rally Raid fairing all of these are a lot cheaper then a new bike

spencergt66 screwed with this post 05-20-2012 at 11:07 PM