User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2005, 06:52 PM   #1
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
For '03 to '06 640 Adventure owners.

Hello shiny new 640 Adventure owners. (Yeah, there's some '02 and earlier BST40 equipped bike info too, so don't throw a hissy fit. )

If you're like the rest of us lunatics, you have a few mods you want to make... for now, you may want to go with the most popular, and cheapest performance route by re-jetting the stock BST 40 carb, and modifying the stock airbox and muffler.
Later, you may decide to go beyond this and install a performance carb and/or muffler or complete exhaust system.

For those of you that wish to modify and re-jet, here is an overview of proven adjustments and modifications. It has been compiled from data and observations provided by many of the members of this forum... and a little bit of screwing around on my part.

It offers a place to start... and for many, all you will want or need.

The information is all inclusive in that the jetting and other mods are for a high flow airbox side cover and a modified stock or slip-on, non-competition type muffler.

"The Usual Suspects"

1. Main jet.
I believe a 152.5 main is still the stock piece. If you are at 3000 ft. elevation or less, a 160.0 main jet is a good place to start. Above that elevation, drop down a size for every 1000 feet or so.
Drain the float bowl using the float bowl drain screw on the bottom left front of the bowl.
Pay attention to the orientation of the spacer that comes out with the jet. This change will improve performance and throttle response at 1/2 throttle and above.
(2002 and earlier bikes have a 142.5 main jet stock... a good place to start there is a 150.0 to 152.5)

The main jet recommended is a starting point. You may find after riding for a time that you will want to try 1 size larger or smaller.
These jets are the same main jets used in Mikuni HSR carburetors for Harley-Davidsons, which makes then available at just about any H-D dealer or custom shop.

2. Removing the vacuum cap from the carburetor.
Remove the fairing and fuel tank, you don't have to remove the dash, simply tie the dashes "ears" up to the handlebars.
Remove the 2 screws holding the cap on while lightly holding the cap down. Remove the cap, and gently remove the vacuum piston/slide assembly. Remove the spring and push the needle up and out the top of the slide.
Note the position of the parts; refer to your owner's parts catalog for correct position.

2. a. Changing the needle clip.
Remove the clip (do this over a large table, maybe with a white bath towel on it... just in case you "loose" the clip) from the 3rd position from the top and relocate it to the 4th position.
For elevation, this may be an option. You may find that the stock position responds well or that rather than shift the clip one full rich position you could install a shim washer that would move the needle 1/2 a groove spacing.
This change will improve performance and throttle response at 1/4 throttle and above.

2. b. Drilling the slide.
Obtain a drill bit, preferably a longish one, .110" to .125" in diameter (3mm is the preferred drill bit size) and drill out the two vacuum ports in the slide, on either side of the needle hole to the drill diameter. Drilling from the top is slightly better because the surface inside the slide is square to the ports; the outside has a radius that requires you to have a bit of drilling talent. This bit works regardless of elevation... it simply allows the vacuum piston to react to throttle changes more rapidly.
This change will quicken throttle response at 1/8 throttle and above.

A note about cutting springs. A few folks like to promote cutting the vacuum piston return spring. I would explain why this is not such a good idea, but I've done it once and that was more than enough.
If you really think this is something you want to do, do a search and read up on it.

2. c. Pilot fuel and air jets.
You probably have a 42 or 45 pilot fuel jet and a 1.2 pilot air jet, and you may have heard that richening this circuit is a good idea. Personally, I have found no improvement by increasing the fuel or decreasing the air jet size. I live at 500 ft. above sea level.
(some 2002 and earlier bikes, those that are not equipped with the "high flow" cylinder head do seem to benefit from a slightly richer pilot circuit)

Again, if you think this is something you want to do, do a search and read up on it. The jets are cheap, so if it doesn't pan out for your location and riding style... no big deal.

That's all the mods... you can reassemble the carb. You can use your finger to help guide the needle back into the needle jet in the carb body, then insert the spring. Be careful when reinstalling the cap that you do not pinch or distort the vacuum diaphragm. Don't over-tighten the cap screws.

3. The air box is easy... either buy or make a copy of the KTM high flow air box side cover. Do not remove the snorkel on top the air box. Bear in mind that if you clean and re-oil the air filter, you bike will run richer than normal until the excess oil on the filter dissipates.
This mod improves air flow to the carburetor without upsetting the pressure balance required for it to work. Removing the snorkel is a recommendation made only when certain carb and exhaust conditions are met.

"584.06.003.200 LC4 (Small Airbox) Better airflow rate"

4. Modifying the stock muffler.
The best part about this is that KTM uses a SuperTrapp USFS diffuser disc spark arrestor system on this bike... easy to tune once you remove a bit of "restriction" downstream.
Remove the Supertrapp spark arrestor discs and end cap. Obtain a 1.5" hole saw, find a wooden dowel that fits tightly in the center hole of the mechanical baffle... you need this to help center the drill.
Core out the baffle tube with the hole saw. A tube of about 6 inches in length comes out when the hole saw cut thru.
Reinstall the discs... the bike probably comes with 10 to 12 discs stock... you can add up to around 16 to suit your personal sound meter, but as I recall, 10 to 12 is more than enough for most folks.
This mod improves air flow thru the muffler, improves performance and makes the bike louder. However, the air and sound output of the muffler can be controlled by subtraction or addition of diffuser discs.

Most aftermarket mufflers are 5 to 7 pounds lighter than the stocker. Most will improve power over the stocker, but few will be a noticeable improvement over the modified stocker... unless you want to spend $1000.
I have a Supertrapp IDS2 with a "quiet core". I did this for three reasons... tuneability, weight and cost.

Full gonzo racing exhaust systems... the Akrapovic system being the most desired amongst LC4 riders, will add between 2-5 HP on the upper midrange to top end, when compared to slip-on mufflers.
What you may not know is that in many cases, you will loose 2-4 HP and 3-5 ft.lbs of torque in the lower (3000-4500) RPM ranges to obtain the higher RPM gains. Kind of a "Rob Peter to pay Paul" deal.
Not a bad thing, but if you spend most of your time between 3000 and 5000 RPM, you may think that $1000 you spent was not such a good idea after all.

5. Fine Tuning
All of this is based on the likelihood that you do not have a $100 Motion Pro 90 carb screwdriver, and trying to do this hot and keep track of the number of turns you have on the idle mixture screw is a very difficult thing to do.
If you have asbestos covered hands and tiny fingers, you can disregard all this and tune to your hearts content.

Ride the bike at least 10 minutes to get it up to operating temperature; set the hot idle speed at 1800-2000 rpm. Now allow the bike to cool.

Locate the idle mixture screw at the front bottom of the carb body, carefully screw it in until it lightly bottoms... you will need an exceptionally short screwdriver for this.
Turn the screw out two and one quarter turns (2.25) and ride the bike, note the throttle response and idle speed.
Turn the screw to one and three quarter turns out (1.5) or 3/4ths (.75) in from the previous position and ride the bike, note the throttle response and idle speed.
Of the two positions, one will have slightly better throttle response and faster idle... this is the range you want to work in.

The idea here is to use the screw to optimize the transition from the pilot circuit to the needle circuit... not get a perfect idle mixture. That's why your rpm is temporarily set in that transitional range.
Do you want a spiffy idle... or, do you want the best off-idle throttle response you can get?

In a perfect world, you would be able to adjust the screw while the engine is running and locate an optimum position... but as I said, unless you have the tool I have, you have to do it trial and error.
Once you have the low speed mixture where you want it, reset the idle to 1600-1650 rpm.

Loadedagain has made a quantity of extended screws (like the ZipTy FCR ones) for the BST40. PM him if you want one as he only made maybe 50 of them in a CNC run.

It's handy to be able to optimize the idle mix when you have dramatic changes in elevation... especially for the off-road, just off idle, tight single track stuff.

Last thing... the jetting info in this post is for an '03 to present 640 Adventure and '03 specific 625 SXC (and pre '03 if you read closely). Not an 640 SM, not a Duke II with twin Akras, not a '96 400 with a BST... not even a 640 with a BST and a complete Akrapovic system... OK? Exhaust systems, airbox and filter capacities even gearing... these all have a dramatic effect on jetting.

Have fun,
Creep

Addendum: Additional information has been added for the benefit of 2002 and earlier LC4 owners. It is highlighted in orange. All other information applies as well.

Addendum: To my knowledge, the 640A "state of tune" remained the same for 2007 and the few remaining 2008 "BNG" carry-overs. This means that the recommendations found above would apply to those years as well.
Bear in mind that this is for US models. There may be variations to accommodate a nation's unique noise and particulate emissions.

creeper screwed with this post 05-23-2008 at 09:39 PM
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:13 PM   #2
Surly
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Good deal! Thanks Creepy!

Tell me more aboot snorkel removal. I will tell you why...
My crappy KTM racing cover sucked in the screen in so its basically a hole in the side of the airbox. I put the stock cover back on and poped off the snorkel.

I am running the Wings exhaust w/o the restrictor/arrestor, 157.5 main and a Factory Ti needle in position 3 or 4 (whoops I forget). Current altitude is 4300 ft

Sounds like my jet choice is on the mark. Whats the dif between the snorkel removal and racing side cover? Think I am getting too much air?

I pray that you dont look at me
I pray I dont look back...

Where is Surly?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:23 PM   #3
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly
Good deal! Thanks Creepy!

Tell me more aboot snorkel removal. I will tell you why...
My crappy KTM racing cover sucked in the screen in so its basically a hole in the side of the airbox. I put the stock cover back on and poped off the snorkel.

I am running the Wings exhaust w/o the restrictor/arrestor, 157.5 main and a Factory Ti needle in position 3 or 4 (whoops I forget). Current altitude is 4300 ft

Sounds like my jet choice is on the mark. Whats the dif between the snorkel removal and racing side cover? Think I am getting too much air?

To many variables to consider. If you think it runs good... that's all that matters, yes?

General concensus with CV carbs... completely eliminating the negative pressure in the airbox (removing the snorkel) seems to have a detrimental effect on low to mid RPM throttle response.
That is why it is recommended only for bikes with an FCR carb and an Akra system or equivalent.
I suppose if you rode WFO all the time, it would not be so noticable.

As I recall, there have been posts by several members that removed the snorkel, rode it for awhile and reinstalled it... they could tell the difference.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:36 PM   #4
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Oddometer: 6,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly
My crappy KTM racing cover sucked in the screen in ?
Uncle Surly...

My "racing sidecover" was afflicted with shitty spot welds just like yours. I used a few dabs of two part epoxy and stuck it back together. Works bitchen' now
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:57 PM   #5
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
A most excellent thread, Creep.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:06 PM   #6
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch
Gracias "El Modo". When I get bored, I write stuff.

I've written variations of this in PMs so often... I figured I'd save a little time and shotgun it.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:14 PM   #7
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Nice job Creeper!

Too bad most of these fellas (new '05 owners) won't have the benefit of having you right there guiding/teaching/helping do the mods and various procedures (oil change, valve check and adjust) to their bikes like I did!

Next to that... this thread is the next best thing!

Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:36 PM   #8
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4 Pilot
Nice job Creeper!

Too bad most of these fellas (new '05 owners) won't have the benefit of having you right there guiding/teaching/helping do the mods and various procedures (oil change, valve check and adjust) to their bikes like I did!

Next to that... this thread is the next best thing!
The Kitten taught me every stuff I know.

Old 05-17-2005, 03:00 AM   #9
braaap!
waiting for the big one

Oddometer: 2,351
Cheers Mr Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch
Does this mean Creep's excellent summary will now appear in 'Wisdom'?
Please.....

thanks Mr Creep, bored or not, your information compilation is cool - and is a bonus to us lazy bastages!

(no Paypal acct... do accept personal cheques? )
braaap! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:43 AM   #10
AndyB
Lonely Traveler

Oddometer: 173
A NooB found it

Thanks for the repost of carb set-up Creep! have been searching n searching for your words o wisdom.......AndyB
AndyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:08 AM   #11
Reformed DucFlogger
Inventor Of The Wheel Mk2

Oddometer: 1,445
Tool or Technique?

Creep,

Maybe I need more coffee (always a safe assumption) but how does the idle mixture adjustment differ if one HAS Allah's-own 90deg MP carb screwdriver?

I adjusted the wife's 03 successfully- after going thru 1/2 doz different McGyvered screwdrivers and about 3 finger tips and swore I'd never do it that way again; hence my looking thru the MP catalog over the weekend.

Awaiting the delivery of a nicey sparkly-orange '05 640 Adv...
Old 05-18-2005, 09:48 AM   #12
GoGriz
Gelandestrasse

Oddometer: 190
Awesome info guys..Creep you never fail to amaze with your straightforward information in a time-tested format! Thanks from all of us (even those who already made those killer mods!) Good stuff!
Old 05-18-2005, 10:52 PM   #13
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,312
the powers that be should pin this as its that good. besides I might find a LC4 that the seat wont bitch slap my ass one day.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:26 PM   #14
burntflan
burntflan

Oddometer: 44
Question re Muffler modification

Hey Creeper,

I was all set to do to the muffler mod on my '03 adventure but chicken'd out with hole saw in hand. I don't know if it's possible to f' it up but if there's a way I'll know I'll do it. Is there anything other information you can to assuage my fears. I'm guessing I should follow the downward path of the tube but don't really want to guess. Thanks

jlr
burntflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:01 PM   #15
davewrit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Thank you SO much!!!

GREAT description!!!!!
DRZ400, KLR 250, Duc 1098s Tri-Colore, MV Brutale 910s, PS1000LE a few others....
davewrit is offline   Reply With Quote