Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,308
Are the original /5 tank badges discontinued?

I have seen those listed in MAx's site and on ebay and they look like re-pops. No where near as nice as mine, and mine are NOS. Just wondering since I have three of the original NOS ones. I checked and all of them have to be re-pops because no one is saying they are original BMW parts.

Sniper X screwed with this post 06-19-2012 at 11:29 AM
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,255
Havce you checked Hucky's? His aren't listed as repro parts (always have an "R" suffix on the P/N).

16 11 1 230 769 tank emblem / 5 $ 50.70
Old 06-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Havce you checked Hucky's? His aren't listed as repro parts (always have an "R" suffix on the P/N).

16 11 1 230 769 tank emblem / 5 $ 50.70
No I haven't. I'll look, thanks!
Old 06-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
No I haven't. I'll look, thanks!
He is probably getting from the same source as BMW. OR from BMW directly. Hence the price.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,980
The old enameled copper badges were never made by BMW, so technically, they're all "repops".

Any badges, current or past that are sold openly are real BMW badges because they're either made for BMW or with BMW's permission.

And yes, the quality of the officially recognized currently available badges isn't anywhere near as good as the German made originals. The new ones are made in China.

In case anyone is interested, I do enamelwork, and can restore original badges.

Here's a pair in the process of restoration. One with remnants of the original enamel, and one which has had the old enamel stripped of using hydrophlouric acid. (nasty stuff that dissolves silicons and calcites, but not metal or plastic)

caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,255
I'll keep that in mind. My badges are in good shape, but both have the little conchoidal "beauty mark" at the screw holes.

Enameled is also called Cloisonne ?
Old 10-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
rbm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I'll contribute to this discussion by illustrating the quality of champlevé work coming out of China. Albeit, the quality is not near that described by caponerd. It can't be compared. However, for many airhead restorations, the investment in high quality work of the likes produced by caponerd and others in the art cannot be justified; thus there exists the market for reasonably priced repops like the one I recently purchased.

I found these 60mm champlevé repops on ebay, from the seller mhmetalheart. They looked from the Ebay description to be exactly what I was seeking. I wanted a reproduction roundel from an R27 or R51 with Serifed font and copper highlights (not chrome). This is what arrived today:

The base appears to be a brass rather than a copper. The enameling shows runs in a couple of places, a testament to their inferior pedigree. The enameling however is good enough for my purposes. It appears to be substantial and accurately applied on a plus side. The thickness of the base metal is approximately 2.5mm. These roundels are solid. The mounting holes are not beveled, meaning the mounting screws will be proud of the surface unless I countersink the holes myself (which I am planning). The backside of the roundel appears as below:

The price for these was very reasonable -- $30 per pair plus $16 shipping. I combined shipping on other parts I purchased which brought that price down. By comparison, purchasing original BMW roundels from the US would have cost me $40 per roundel plus shipping. The package took two weeks from Singapore to Ontario. I'm pleased with the roundels and could recommend them to others who are seeking reproductions but also are willing to make compromises in quality for price point.

rbm screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 06:10 PM
rbm is offline   Reply With Quote