Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,437
Around the World in 800 Days

I have been dreaming of this trip for the past 20 years, actively planning this trip for the past 6 months and now the first part of my adventure begins this Friday.
Hi.........my name is Ed, and welcome to my blog.
On Friday, my girl friend and I are leaving for Cabo San Lucas for a 9 day trip from Southern California. I guide off road tours for Chris Haines Adventure Company so I know Baja like the back of my hand.
In July, I am planning to leave from home and head up to Alaska. I want to dip my feet in to the Arctic Ocean among other things. I will be gone for a month or so. This trip will be shake down trip for what I have planned in October.
In the middle of October, I will start heading south through mainland Mexico, Central America, and South America. I want to reach the tip of the continent and then ship my bike to Europe so I can travel through Europe in the Summer/Fall of 2013. From there, I will go through the Middle East and if I survive, head down thru Africa in 2014.

I want to do a lot of hiking, kayaking and other adventurous activities. If you have any suggestions for my the Alaska part of my trip, I would love to hear from you

Ed
Old 06-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
JasonLester
Riding north

Oddometer: 188
You'll love Alaska. I'll be up there in July as well. My bike is there now as we road up at the beginning of the month and I flew home (my dad has a place up there)

I am going to subscribe so I can watch your progress. I've tried to do this twice now and I am just not good at blogging. But I love reading them.

Btw check out Haines AK ... The ride there is fantastic.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
JasonLester
Riding north

Oddometer: 188
Actually I'll try to put together a few must see places for you if you like. And I am sure many more will chime in too.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Jason, I plan to be in Haines. I want to take the ferry from Skagway.
I just returned from Baja and getting ready to leave for Alaska on Monday.
Stay in touch
Ed
Old 07-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Around the World in 800 Days

Sunday June 26, 2012
Every RTW has to have a start and mine is off to a great start.
My GF and I headed down to Cabo San Lucas for the week.
Our first night we spent in Ensenada.
We stopped at La Fonda for a Margarita. We went wine tasting at LA Cetto. We grabbed a beer and watched the sunset at Casa Natalie Boutique Hotel. And then dinner at Ophilias, the best restaurant in Ensenada.
The next day we road 500+ miles and we are camping at El Coyote in the Bay of Conception.
This was my first real outing for my 1200GS and I am liking it. It has good power. Gets good mileage and has an awesome range (which is a good thing in Baja). The temperature ranged between 60 and 95.......great for putting back a few beers and swimming in the Bay but hot on a motorcycle. I got to say my Rev'it Defender jacket and pants did a great job with the various weather, especially the jacket. The airflow is wonderful. My Rev'it Apache boots are nice at anything less than 80 degrees but above that, my feet got hot. I think it is partly because the engine layout on my BMW directs the hot air toward my feet. Not good for Baja but it will be beneficial when I head to Alaska in July. As an added benefit, the cylinders also shield the wind flow so my boots will stay dryer in wet weather (I hope). Well, the boots are Gore-tex so I will find out.
Next stop Cabo
Old 07-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
whatsgnu
Scheissekopf

Oddometer: 279
This sounds like a good one, I'm in !! (don't forget....LOTS of pictures )
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

This site seems harder to navigate than the earth........how do I post pictures? Since I am new, does this site restrict me from attaching pictures to my posts?
Old 07-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

We are back from Cabo. And this trip made me realize once again that I don't really like Cabo San Lucas. It is expensive and full of tourists looking for something that it is not. For now on, I am just going to stop at Loreto or the Bay of Conception and hang out on the beach with some cold beers. To me.....that is real Mexico. But I am glad we went nonetheless. It was my GF's first time riding to the tip so we had to do it. And it was nice to get a shower in a real hotel.
On the way back we camped at El Requision on the beach for 2 nights. It is my favorite spot in the world so far. We caught some fish, clams and scallops for dinner.
I have traveled thru Baja over 100 times in the past 10 years and I have not had one bad experience down there. The people that are fearful of Mexico are the people that never go but they are quick to spout warnings to everyone about its dangers.
On Monday, I am heading up to Alaska for about a month. I think I am going to log in about 10,000 miles along the way. More on that later......
I am going to upload some Baja pictures and videos as soon as I figure out how to do this
Old 08-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
Icy Roads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I can't wait to ride Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
We are back from Cabo. And this trip made me realize once again that I don't really like Cabo San Lucas. It is expensive and full of tourists looking for something that it is not. For now on, I am just going to stop at Loreto or the Bay of Conception and hang out on the beach with some cold beers. To me.....that is real Mexico. But I am glad we went nonetheless. It was my GF's first time riding to the tip so we had to do it. And it was nice to get a shower in a real hotel.
On the way back we camped at El Requision on the beach for 2 nights. It is my favorite spot in the world so far. We caught some fish, clams and scallops for dinner.
I have traveled thru Baja over 100 times in the past 10 years and I have not had one bad experience down there. The people that are fearful of Mexico are the people that never go but they are quick to spout warnings to everyone about its dangers.
On Monday, I am heading up to Alaska for about a month. I think I am going to log in about 10,000 miles along the way. More on that later......
I am going to upload some Baja pictures and videos as soon as I figure out how to do this
I've always wondered about the "Doom Sayers" talking about the dangers of third world countries. You can find evil anywhere, but my experience is you are more likely find generosity from those with the least to give. I'm looking forward to making the "trip to the tip" and like you I'd like to skip Cabo San Lucas but you can't get to the tip without going there. I hope to dip my toe and scram quickly back to a less tourist saturated area.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Roads View Post
I've always wondered about the "Doom Sayers" talking about the dangers of third world countries. You can find evil anywhere, but my experience is you are more likely find generosity from those with the least to give. I'm looking forward to making the "trip to the tip" and like you I'd like to skip Cabo San Lucas but you can't get to the tip without going there. I hope to dip my toe and scram quickly back to a less tourist saturated area.
If you haven't done cabo before, you have to go.
And besides, if you only go half way, you will always have the desire to complete the whole trip
The ride to cabo has to be one of the best week long motorcycle trips in the world. Take your time and enjoy yourself.
But if you have less time, I have made it from the border to sipping on a beer in Cabo San Lucas in 12 and a half hours on my motorcycle.
Yes, that is correct........about half a day. Do the math. It was nuts.
Then Google Cabo 1000 and learn about a crazy unsanctioned motorcycle race from the border to cabo.
That's how I started
Old 08-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Stopping at Westmalle brewery for some dubbel and triple

Old 08-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Right now I am staying with a nice family just south of Amsterdam.
They contacted me thru my blog when they found out that I was going to be in the area.

The husband and wife team rode a pair of BMW GS 1200 Adventure bikes from Alaska to the tip of South America last year.

We have been chatting and comparing stories.

And they have been taking great care of me with some good home cooking

Thank you so much

Old 07-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Pictures of my Baja/Cabo trip with my GF

My favorite place in the entire world......... so far

Playa de El Requision

Land's End........Cabo San Lucas and the end of the road

Old 08-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #14
TemeculaRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
My favorite place in the entire world......... so far

Playa de El Requision

You should learn the name of your favorite place in the world. That is Playa el Requeson. Next time you come this way, PM me and we'll meet up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
you are safer in 99% of Northern Mexico than you are in 99% of Jacksonville, FL.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #15
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Bears

Everyone says that the bears up here are not friendly and they are NOT! I have been trying to pet them but they keep running away from me

Closed Thread