User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2005, 02:00 PM   #1
Shoganai OP
Let's do some livin'

Oddometer: 1,759
Who started riding after age 30

This is for anyone who started riding after age 30.

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)

2. What was your first bike?

3. How do you feel about starting so late?

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru?

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter "- Dr Seuss

Shoganai screwed with this post 11-21-2009 at 04:20 PM
Shoganai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:45 PM   #2
Hltoppr
GS Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
OK, as a total newbie, I'll bite...I'll be 33 in 2 weeks.

2. 2002 Honda XR650L, picking it up this week....
3. The idea is both incredibly exciting and a tad scary...
4. We'll see.....I'm coming from a 1992 FJ80 Land Cruiser, so it seems like the only thing similar is a BMW GS Adventure or KTM...I have my eye on both...

Can't wait to do Baja on the Bike!

-H-

Hltoppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:49 PM   #3
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,642

Walked into Bob's BMW at 42 years old in 2001 and bought a brand new R1150GS. Haven't slowed down yet even after 200,000 miles since then.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
RobTheRigger
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hltoppr
OK, as a total newbie, I'll bite...I'll be 33 in 2 weeks.

2. 2002 Honda XR650L, picking it up this week....
3. The idea is both incredibly exciting and a tad scary...
4. We'll see.....I'm coming from a 1992 FJ80 Land Cruiser, so it seems like the only thing similar is a BMW GS Adventure or KTM...I have my eye on both...

-H-

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.p...id=20723&stc=1
YEAAAAAA!!!!!! Another MUDer (RiggerFJ80)! (sorry, can't give you the "real" salute

I haven't been on a bike in over 10 years and I'm kinda scared. Shhhhh, don't tell my wife. She thinks I'm a badass!
I can imagine a no more rewarding career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy." JFK

"I rode a lot of dirt bikes when I was younger, so I trust the chain and sprockets more than that newfangled voodoo shaft stuff!" DolphinJohn

RobTheRigger screwed with this post 09-23-2008 at 02:15 PM
RobTheRigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
SwitchThrottle
Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer: 1,048
I rode dirt bikes as a kid. I started riding street at 31, and riding dirt again a year after that. Does that count?

Riding a motorcycle is fun. Riding a supermoto is inexplicable.
SwitchThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
The G
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
1. WTF were you thinking?
Thought it would be cool to take the Abate/MSF class just to learn how to ride. *Then* decide if I wanted a bike. Well, I dumped it in the class but still passed with almost a perfect score on both the written and riding parts. So for you noobs like me, dont give up.

82 Honda Nighthawk 450
So far I have ridden about 1k miles.

Earlier would have been fun, I'm OK with it at 36. I think I am a more alert driver/rider now that I am older. Plus I dont speed as much because I have a 69 Chevelle for that.

Still on 1st bike.
The G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:19 AM   #7
Franke
BeemerWoman

Oddometer: 2
1. Took the MSF course in 99 at age 53; haven't stopped riding since.

2. What was your first bike? -> Kawasaki Vulcan 500

3. How do you feel about starting so late? -> So wish I had started when I was a toddler :) and learned on dirt. But better late than never !

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru? -> Yamaha Virago 1100 -> HD Low Rider -> BMW F650GS

How did I get into biking so late? I was telling a male friend about the memories I had of riding on the back of my uncle's bike when he took it out, and how much I enjoyed it. Unfortunately, this uncle died young, and I never had an opportunity to repeat the experience. No one else in the family rode bikes. So that was basically the end of that.

My friend asked me "So, what do you ride now?" I was baffled... "what do mean?" I asked him. "Well, since you seem to have enjoyed the riding so much, you must be riding your own by now" was his response. I couldn't believe my ears.... women were actually riding? and not just sitting in the back?!?!

His advice was to go to a dealer and sit on one of the bikes, and take it from there. And I just did that. The closest dealer was a HD dealer who advised me to take the MSF riding course first. Back home, I immediately signed on for the course. As failing was NOT going to an option, I passed. I purchased the Vulcan the following week and have been riding since then. In 2000, with a group of friends, I rode the bike to a bike rally in Ohio. I got hooked on multi-day riding trips. The following year, I did a solo trip to Canada, followed by more solo trips to Texas, Nova Scotia, and the Black Hills.

In 2007 I bought a BMW650GS. During one of my "learning to ride on dirt" sessions, I had a bad accident resulting in multiple bone fractures in my left foot. That took care of the summer, but in September that year I started riding the beemer again and finished the season riding in the Shenandoah Valley. This year included a first motorcycle/camping trip. I love it, and am now planning a longer motorcycle/camping trip next year.
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:05 PM   #8
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hltoppr
1992 FJ80 Land Cruiser, so it seems like the only thing similar is a BMW GS Adventure or KTM...I have my eye on both...

-H-

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.p...id=20723&stc=1
Wad-up, from THE Lux...
Old 05-23-2005, 04:10 PM   #9
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai
It took me two weeks to tell my parents.
I did the same thing, only I was 15 -- even then I knew it was better to beg for forgiveness than ask permission Bike was a '72 CB450. First two times I took it out I had no permit, and damned if I didn't get pulled over each time.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:44 PM   #10
redseca2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Spent all of May of 1997 traveling by myself in Italy having a fine old time.

Came back and signed up for:

Italian Lessons

MFS Motorcycle Lessons

End of July 1997 took delivery of a 600cc Yamaha Seca 2. Like the original poster, I had it delivered....

April 1998, rode down to Cabo San Lucas

July 1998, rode NYC and back; ended first year of ownership with 22,000 miles on the bike

On the web I still go as Redseca2 because anyone can go cross country on a BMW

redseca2 screwed with this post 05-23-2005 at 04:53 PM
redseca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:31 PM   #11
TX Silver
Too young to watch.

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
I did the same thing, only I was 15 -- even then I knew it was better to beg for forgiveness than ask permission Bike was a '72 CB450. First two times I took it out I had no permit, and damned if I didn't get pulled over each time.
Ditto here, except it was a '78 Kawasaki KE125. Bought it in the summer of '82 when mom was at work and she caved when she came home. Have to say that to this day I remember the simultaneous exhilaration and fear I experience when I first rode it.

The guy I bought it from brought it over in his truck, unloaded it then started it up for me. He showed me where the throttle, clutch, shifter and brakes were then proceeded to take my hard-earned bagboy money and handed me my new title.

Took about an hour and three or four falls to figure out how to ride the thing.

No one I know that rides "started" after 30. They all rode at least a cousin's friend's brother's Suwakondaha TrailPeeWeeZing50 something or other and I think it stuck with most of them.

TX
"I took the road less traveled. Now where the hell am I?" - Unknown
TX Silver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:50 PM   #12
YZFRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Thumb

Started riding when I was 33. I am now 36.

Honda Shadow VLX (600 cc cruiser - )

Biggest regret is that it's too late to begin a career as a factory racer.

Although, if I had started earlier, I may not have lived to be 33.

1995 Honda Shadow VLX 600 (taught me the joy of riding, also taught me that I am NOT a cruiser guy :ymca)

1998 Honda ST1100 (taught me that the best way to cross the country is on two wheels, also taught me that I do NOT like heavy bikes )
2002 Yamaha YZF600R (best street sportbike ever - period - still own it )

2002 Ducati Monster (okay, its my wife's bike, but I love to ride the piss out of it - still own it)

2000 BMW R1150GS (provides the ability to ride in all kinds of weather/situations - my daily commuter/tourer - still own it)

1976 Honda CB750 (been in my family since day 1, its old school, but I get a grin from ear to ear everytime I ride it! - still own it)

I would rather go riding than not. - Ron Paulsen

He who would travel happily must travel light. - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

'08 BMW R1200GS
'02 Yamaha YZF600R
'85 XR350R
'76 Honda CB750K
YZFRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:32 PM   #13
marndo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
My mom bought my first 2 bikes. WTF was she thinking? Rode since 9 to highschrewl then quit for 20 years. So starting up again at 39 was kinda like starting over.

2. What was your first bike? A Yamaha DT80,DT175,IT250 then XT500, fast forward 20 years to a vstrom 1000.

3. How do you feel about re-starting so late? Pretty darn good. I should never have stopped riding.

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru? Since re-starting a month ago, just one litre strom. But either an older KLR or GS is next.

marndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:21 PM   #14
luv2lean
not lost til out of gas

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Silver
Ditto here, except it was a '78 Kawasaki KE125. Bought it in the summer of '82 when mom was at work and she caved when she came home. Have to say that to this day I remember the simultaneous exhilaration and fear I experience when I first rode it.

TX
Double Ditto - Brought home a honda 305 in 1969 when I was 15 and just let the sheet hit the fan------
luv2lean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:46 PM   #15
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,906
It took me until I was 40 years old before I could muster the courage too buy a motorcycle without asking my father for permission! Or my now ex-wife for that matter.

That first bike was a 1982 Maxim 550 bought in 1995 for $1000. That bike taught me my first lesson of diminishing returns in motorcycle accessory and parts spending. Paid $1000, spent another $1000 or so to make it run right and to look presentable. Rode it for 12,000 miles in 3 years or so and sold it for $1,000.

In 1999 I bought a 1995 BMW R100 Mystic, the red head with big jugs that I had always lusted after. Riding that bike really was the beginning of my becoming an advid motorcyclist. I put 30K before trading it last year.

A couple of years later I stumbled onto and promptly bought a cherry 1985 R80 G/S as a divorce present to myself. That turned me toward the adventure side of the sport which mirrors my skiing passion. I have since put 15K on her and plan on bringing her to BYOB.

In 2003 I decided I needed a sport bike at the precise moment that I stumbled onto a smoking deal on a left over brand new 2000 Triumph Sprint RS for nearly 50% of original retail! I am taking that bad boy to BeaveRun Race Track for a Sport Bike Track Time Event this weekend. So far I have 7K on her but also unfortunately had my worst accident to date on her. But we are both all healed up now!

Last year I entered into a relationship with a wonderful woman who loves riding pillion, so I traded my Mystic for one of the last 1150 GS's when BMW was giving them away just as the 1200 was being introduced (I love a deal). With this bike I have discovered the joys of 2 up riding and has firmly cemented me as a GS kind of guy. That bike is amazing! 10K to date.

Uhh..What else did you want to know? I kind of got self aborbed there!

Rick
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote