User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #1
gvganser OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
R100GS Solo Seat Conversion Questions

I am considering a Solo Seat conversion on my 1988 R100GS. Since a little information is a dangerous thing I thought i might ask and see who has had success with this. The microfiche on Bob's web site shows the luggage rack for 1989-91. Now, I could assume that that would fit on my bike but we all know about assumptions and Bob's is good but this may not be something the parts counter could answer with confidence.

Also. I see that Corbin has a solo seat available. Any other options other than stock? Best option? Anybody selling their conversion?

Anybody with tips, trick and install know-how and what-nots is appreciated.
gvganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvganser View Post
I am considering a Solo Seat conversion on my 1988 R100GS. Since a little information is a dangerous thing I thought i might ask and see who has had success with this. The microfiche on Bob's web site shows the luggage rack for 1989-91. Now, I could assume that that would fit on my bike but we all know about assumptions and Bob's is good but this may not be something the parts counter could answer with confidence.

Also. I see that Corbin has a solo seat available. Any other options other than stock? Best option? Anybody selling their conversion?

Anybody with tips, trick and install know-how and what-nots is appreciated.

I've got the Corbin dual gunfighter, the Corbin single, and the stock single seat on my '91 GS. To be honest, the dual seat I find the most comfortable,,,,,the single Corbin locks you in one place, whereas the dual seat allows you to slide around front n back. If you are looking for extra luggage capacity or a 'neater/ look, this is the way to go. The stock single seat is a torture rack.

BTW, transfering over from dual seat to single seat is about a 20 minute affair.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 647
I just priced out a solo seat conversion that included the seat, rack and mounting parts.

Amazingly the whole set, including shipping, was cheaper (over $100) from Sibenrock in Germany than ordering a stock or Corbin seat and mounting parts from Bob's. The rack is the real kick in the pants from Bob's as far as price difference goes.

Sibenrock has two versions of the solo seat, one is cut like the stock, the other they say re designed for more comfort.

You might want to do the math again, but my calculations shows Sibenrock was the better value.

Parts are pretty straight forward as to what you need. Your seat latch/lock will transfer from its current position ont he bench seat to the forward position on the solo. A few other bolts and rubber bits will finish it up. SR sells a kit for this.

Good luck

http://www.siebenrock.com/en/
tennessee thumper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
lockyv7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
I got mine from here, Germany to Australia in about 10 days and cost 256.00 and fits straight on. very comfy, firm but comfy.

http://www.meyer-bikes.com/ersatz3.php?cat=32

lockyv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
smorgasgeorge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
I ordered that custom rack from Bob's, but when I got to the shop, figured out that some of the stock rubber parts don't fit so well on it, and also that the OEM rack is still available from the fiche for around $140 if i remember correctly ($30 cheaper than the Bob's copy). Now there's a no brainer.

I ordered the seat from Siebenrock, and after eight months of waiting, it finally got here. FWIW it's much softer than my stock dual seat. It's nice for a short ride, but for long days I think I may prefer the density of the original. Now thinking about getting it customized.... But the rack space is nice.

Cheers
smorgasgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
gvganser OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Thank you for the input. I found a used Corbin and Rack that look to be in really good shape. Since seats always seem to be the point of contention for everybody and everybody likes something different I figured it was worth a shot to take a chance on the Corbin. May have to try an Airhawk at some time but it was already an idea I was tossing around anyway.

Thanks again.

gvganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,342
The corbin solo seats for the R100GS are hard as a rock and weigh about as much as one too. Seriously, you'll be amazed by how heavy it is. A friend of mine lent me one to try and I rode with it for an afternoon. That's all my ass could handle. SERIOUSLY uncomfortable. I ended up going with NOS BMW seat, but after a lot of miles in that thing I don't much like the shape of it. It really locks you into one position and doesn't allow for much scooting around. I've never tried one of the touratech saddles, but I like the shape of them.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:21 AM   #8
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead wrangler View Post
the corbin solo seats for the r100gs are hard as a rock and weigh about as much as one too. Seriously, you'll be amazed by how heavy it is. A friend of mine lent me one to try and i rode with it for an afternoon. That's all my ass could handle. Seriously uncomfortable. I ended up going with nos bmw seat, but after a lot of miles in that thing i don't much like the shape of it. It really locks you into one position and doesn't allow for much scooting around. I've never tried one of the touratech saddles, but i like the shape of them.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
luxlogs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Touratech discontinued the single seat, Dam now I just have to spend my $671 dollars elsewhere.

FYI I see that Hardwaregirl is making nice center racks.
82 R65LS
92 R100GS
luxlogs is offline   Reply With Quote