User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2005, 02:14 AM   #1
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,259
Recommended Sydney dealers??

G'day Everyone, Still trying to work out which beast i should invest my hard earned $$ in . I'm pretty sure i've got it narrowed down to KTM 950, R1200GS, R1150GSA or Triumph Tiger. The biggest problem is trying to get test rides from dealers this side of the mountain, so far i've only managed a ride on the KTM, very impressed too but i'm having trouble with the looks and worried that a decent crash will take out a fuel tank. Anyway, i'm planning a trip to Sydney in the next few months (when work permits) and want to sample each of these beasts while i'm there. I'm looking for suggestions / opinions for recommended dealers of any or all of these bikes that would let me take an extended test ride (say 3 hours).
I'm planning to use it for 50/50 tar and dirt, mainly commute to work during the week and anywhere i like on the weekends tar, gravel, tracks but nothing too serious.......yet
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:37 AM   #2
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
Procycles at Hornsby are a BMW, KTM and Triumph (and Suzuki and Yamaha) dealer.

Yes, fallovers in the 950 are a several thousand dollar repair

BurnieM screwed with this post 06-03-2005 at 02:58 PM
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:03 AM   #3
Joachim
Joachim

Oddometer: 200
hi again Burnie
I bought my 1150GS Adv from what used to be Tom Byrnes in St Peters but now has been taken over by ProCycles Hornsby.

I have to commend them highly for their friendly and honest after sales service. I bought a lot of other gear from them as well - "any problems? here is a new one or what would you like instead" attitude has kept me very happy. BMW free road service is fantastic (2 years, plus you can buy an extra year warranty + road service, $380). Have a flat - within 1/2 hour I was picked up by a truck and tyre fixed 2 hours later (in Sydney)

I have talked with some people who seemed unhappy with the previous management but I feel that this is definitely not the case now. I do believe that getting the service and attention you want is still a two way affair - I have seen and talked to people who have gone in bristling and thumping desks. Good, friendly customers get more good service from staff.

They also sell Triumph and Aprilla, but I may take a test ride on the new K1200R, 168hp insanity coming in a couple of weeks - don't tell my bike!
Joachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 08:17 PM   #4
Speedzter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnieM

Just repeating what 2 different Procycles salesman have mentioned to me

Sorry , but you have been wrongly informed , who would listen to a salesman, ..... seriousy ???

My 950 has crash bars like these,

KTM950 crash bars

and is also very easy to pick up when dropped .
A freind dropped his the other day and landed on a large rock on the tank with barely a scratch . Any bike can suffer heavy damage in a crash , but
I'm sure the BM and the 950 are in a similar league regarding crash costs.
Speedzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:13 AM   #5
BEC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
I am here in Sydney, been messing around with the bike at the dealer putting on all my accessories. Pain in the rear. Procycles was very nice, I worked with Scottie, he sells everything but BMW, the BMW side of the business in up stairs. Those guys were a little different and only sell BMW. I brought down with me a copy of the DVD TV series. I am in Sydney and I headed towards Melbourne tomorrow, my aussie cell is 0428174880, drop me a line.
BEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:03 PM   #6
bonox
Tryin Hard

Oddometer: 2,936
diggin up an old thread, but are these comments still valid? Anyone dealt with byrne after the procycles buyout?
bonox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:07 PM   #7
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonox
diggin up an old thread, but are these comments still valid? Anyone dealt with byrne after the procycles buyout?
Check with Burnie M - he works for them
Old 06-01-2006, 06:15 PM   #8
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 8,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnieM
interesting statement, burnie, I semi-tboned a car at somewhere around 50-70kmh and bent one crash bar, one clutch lever and one fairing.

Cost to repair? New PAIR crash bars about $450, new fairing painted ready to fit about the same, clutch lever $15, labour perhaps an hour. Didn't even damage the mirrors, handle bars or frame. Bloody tough bike.

I'd reckon that's bloody cheap, I suspect the car cost more to repair. I've thrown my bike away a few times on the dirt and not damaged zip except ego.

And I've seen an 1150 break more parts falling over on a dirt hairpin in first gear!

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:30 PM   #9
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse
interesting statement, burnie, I semi-tboned a car at somewhere around 50-70kmh and bent one crash bar, one clutch lever and one fairing.

Cost to repair? New PAIR crash bars about $450, new fairing painted ready to fit about the same, clutch lever $15, labour perhaps an hour. Didn't even damage the mirrors, handle bars or frame. Bloody tough bike.

I'd reckon that's bloody cheap, I suspect the car cost more to repair. I've thrown my bike away a few times on the dirt and not damaged zip except ego.

And I've seen an 1150 break more parts falling over on a dirt hairpin in first gear!
Yeh, but its a high first gear
Old 06-01-2006, 06:35 PM   #10
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 8,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbike smallpenis
Yeh, but its a high first gear
and that's a good thing???

bit of a downfall for the hp2 and 12gsa I'd reckon, shame they kept the high first gear.

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:39 PM   #11
bonox
Tryin Hard

Oddometer: 2,936
think he's having a go mouse

ie bloke was hammering around the dirt hairpin, helped out by the tall first gear, leading to mucho damage when the no doubt grinning rider came up for air.
bonox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:42 PM   #12
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse
and that's a good thing???

bit of a downfall for the hp2 and 12gsa I'd reckon, shame they kept the high first gear.
the R1150gs 1st gear is a real pain - the config of the 1st and 6th gear on the 1150 Adventure is more suited - I cant understand though why they 'detuned' 6th - its just a tooth or two to small IMHO. 1st gear on the Adventure they got right.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:19 AM   #13
Trevor S
Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog
G'day Everyone, Still trying to work out which beast i should invest my hard earned $$ in . I'm pretty sure i've got it narrowed down to KTM 950, R1200GS, R1150GSA or Triumph Tiger. The biggest problem is trying to get test rides from dealers this side of the mountain, so far i've only managed a ride on the KTM, very impressed too but i'm having trouble with the looks and worried that a decent crash will take out a fuel tank.
I have been down twice on the BMW 1150 GS Adv and twice the fuel tank needed to be replaced, along with $ of other repairs (about $8K a time).

Trevor S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:10 PM   #14
Joachim
Joachim

Oddometer: 200
[QUOTE=Trevor S]I have been down twice on the BMW 1150 GS Adv and twice the fuel tank needed to be replaced, along with $ of other repairs (about $8K a time).

You should invest in a set of tank protecting bars - Hepco Becker and Touratech make them. There is a very helpful dealer in Queensland. Very prompt by mail or courier. Although, what are the implications of forces on the mounting points rather than the tank?
Joachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 11:16 PM   #15
Trevor S
Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim
You should invest in a set of tank protecting bars -
or stop falling off I "invested" in insurance... they paid

Quote:
Hepco Becker and Touratech make them. There is a very helpful dealer in Queensland.
That would be Rick from Motorcycle Adventure Products I have bought a fair bit of stuff off him (My Hepco Becker racks and bags for example) and have some HB tank bars coming for my KTM 640 Adventure

Quote:
Very prompt by mail or courier. Although, what are the implications of forces on the mounting points rather than the tank?
Something else will "give", probably end up twisting the entire frame The price of the bars is probably $800 or so, here in Aus anyway and they would be farked after such a crash (as were the engine bars, sub frame, front forks, dash, front beak blah blah blah where) the solution IMO is to use a decent plastic tank of some sort. Leave the metal one in storage to put back on when I sell it... or better yet, equip the bike with a plastic tank. Bars are a double edged sword, I can't ride without my Fox Raptor MX shin guards on my BMW Adv, god damn engine guards

As an asdie, I was just pointing out the fallacy in thinking the 950 was somehow more prone to tank damage then say the BMW.

Trevor S screwed with this post 06-02-2005 at 03:57 AM
Trevor S is offline   Reply With Quote