ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Lava Lovers Lounge

Thought I'd begin a thread for Central Oregonians to connect for rides, post short ride reports, link to longer ride reports and hang out. I know there is the Central Oregon Meetup thread which is used to connect for dinner or drinks, so I'm not going to replace that.

This will be more focused on riding in Central Oregon. If you take a short trip and only get a couple pics and it's not worth taking the time to create a new thread, this is the place to drop your pics off. I love the "Riding Around The Hood" thread and I hope this will become something like that for those riding further south than "The Hood"

If nothing else, this will be where I can post rides I take so they'll be all in one thread and easier to find.

All you lovers of Central Oregon riding, feel free to post up here. Hopefully you'll subscribe so that others can post upcoming day rides and make connections.

Let the fun begin
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wolf Mountain Lookout Day Ride

A few weeks ago, someone posted a picture of Wolf Mountain Lookout. For some reason it interested me and I did a quick Google search. While reading I discovered that in 1942 a WWII B18 Bomber crashed within 1/2 mile of the lookout. I tried to discover more, but didn't find much. My son, who has a Bachelor's in History and Masters in Teaching, took over the challenge and found out quite a bit about the plane and it's demise. All the wreckage was removed for scrap during the war. In 2008 a forest fire pretty much eliminated the remaining evidence of a crash zone. Never the less, I wanted to ride there just to see the area and put the real scene in my head to go along with all the history and articles I had read.

So due to a weird set of circumstances I had a Saturday off which is very unusual. Friday night I quickly prepped the bike for a longer day ride, sorted my maps and gear.

Here's the route, starting in my hometown of Madras:

Here's the Google Maps link if you want to zoom in and check out the area:

http://goo.gl/maps/zjQQL

Headed east to Ashwood then south on Trout Creek road, one of my favorites as you cross the stream a bunch of times. I didn't take any pics until I rode past this little rattler. Had to turn around to get the pic and he was most of the way across the road.

Riding a little further it began to sprinkle. I didn't look like it was going to continue to rain and the forecast had stated 20% chance of scattered thunderstorms. Trout Creek road can be an absolutely impassable route if it gets too wet. I stopped under a tree for a few minutes to see what would happen:

I was just a very brief shower so on I rode. Here my Vstrom cooling her heels at one of the crossings:

Through the Ochoco Mtns. Across Prinville-Mitchell Hwy, past Walton Lake, South of Big Summit Prairie, continuing east until I came to "Boeing Field" This is the field very near where the B18 crashed. It crashed in February and was discovered by a sheepherder in August. The story is that the Sheepherder mistakenly named the field thinking the plane was a Boeing, but it was actually a McDonnell-Douglas B18. Here's Boeing Field with Wolf Mtn Lookout barely visible in the upper left corner of the photo:

A trail head takes off here into the Black Canyon Winderness:

The last mile to the lookout was brutally rocky and a challenge for the Wee, but we made it.

In that pic, you can see a large rock in the foreground. Here's the plaque on the rock:

I hiked the ridge for awhile trying to find a tree that looked like it had been clipped by the bomber, but didn't find one that was convincing. So, now where to???

Checked the maps, I was probably good on fuel, but why not hit the metropolis of Paulina for a couple gallons then decide where to go. So south on good gravel roads then paved to Paulina. As I was turning onto the Paulina hwy, three BMW GS's when flying by heading east. After paying $4.95 per gallon regular in Pauline and $1.50 for a can of Mt. Dew, it was about 2:45. Too early to slab it home via Post. Check the maps.....Paulina Valley Rd is a dark red dashed road on my Benchmark Atlas. Dark red dashed roads are typically good gravel roads. Light red dashed roads are typically two track jeep type roads and the thin red lines can typically be overgrown roads that are often no longer visible or blocked off.

So, Paulina Valley Road....Dark red dashes....no problem. And it wasn't at first, wide gravel ranch type road....until the last ranch. Then it became a rough rutted jeep trail that I wasn't expecting to take my Wee on. When I got here, I considered turning back as it just continued to get tougher:

The pic makes it look easy, but it was pretty bad for a bike with limited ground clearance. I chose to push ahead as I had plenty of daylight. The surface eventually became better, but the trees were closing in:

I finally popped out back on 42 which I had been on earlier in the day. I had passed this "Road Closed" sign earlier, and being the curious person I am, wondered if it was really impassable for a motorcycle....

2 miles up the road....yep they're putting in a new bridge and unless you can jump the 20' gap, it's a no go:

However, right where they are putting in the new bridge is a beautiful camp spot on the creek. I need to come back here for an overnight when they are done:

Headed back, knew I was too tired for any more adventure so just took 42 to the hwy. 42 is an amazing paved road with little traffic:

Prineville for dinner then home by 6:30pm. What a great day riding. Thanks for tagging along.

Tim
Old 08-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,833
Well done!
I love that area, and have seen many miles there, but missed a couple I need to visit obviously. Thanks!
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
BLU HWY
Guilty By-Stander

Oddometer: 892
Old 08-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
ChickenDance
Keepin up with Darth

Oddometer: 43
Great photos and narrative. Looks like this will be a fun thread!

Oregon Dual Sport Rental & Adventures
www.oregondualsportrentalandadventures.com
ChickenDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,384
We were at Wolf Mt. lookout this summer and had no idea that plaque was there. The fire lookouts camper was parked right there in front of the rock!
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
RECON
Guit Sum

Oddometer: 744
Awesome!

Thanks for posting! You gave me some flashbacks, I rode Trout Creek road for the first time a spring ago during the high run off. Almost drowned the big GS on those water crossings! Great route.

used to's: '08 Kawasaki KLR650, '97 Honda ST1100, '03 Honda XR650R, '04 KTM 950 Adventure, '04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, '03 Kawasaki Meanstreak, 19?? Yamaha XT600, 19?? Kawasaki GPZ550, 19?? Honda Twinstar200

IBA# 39329
RECON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #8
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,833
2 words,,for that creek.

fishinpole
freshcaughtgrasshoppers
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:30 AM   #9
forrest_fire1
I came, went & discovered

Oddometer: 173
good idea, "lava lovers lounge"

I'd ride that! Never been 1/2 those places, and it's my back yard...
, Any one else gorADV riding this weekend?
Old 08-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Trout Creek

Trout Creek is probably not really ridable until mid to late May. Here's a of the first crossing in early May:

My Avatar pic is from the same ride:

Yesterday I discovered that Ashwood Rd and Trout Creek had both been freshly graded. I know Trout Creek hadn't been graded in years. It's not much of a challenge now.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #11
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
Less than a 1/2 mile east of Wolf Mountain LO are the remains of a tree top lookout. I've been told its from the 1920's.

'07 990A
Parting '98 1100GS. Need Anything?

Hootowl screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 09:54 AM Reason: changed distance from wolf mtn
Hootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootowl View Post
Less than a 1/2 mile east of Wolf Mountain LO are the remains of a tree top lookout. I've been told its from the 1920's.
Awesome, thanks for posting those pics. I had heard it was near by, but walked west instead of east. I wasn't sure if it was burned in the fire in 08. Glad to know it's still there. Fun history bits!

For this interested in the history of the plane, here is some of the research my son sent me:

The newspaper incorrectly dates the crash as Feb 3, 1942 which caused some problems researching it. The crash is actually thought to have happened on 02-04-42.

The plane was an RB-18A, a version of a Boeing B-18 'Bolo' bomber that was "restricted from combat", an interwar bomber that was quickly outdated as the US began to produce the B-25 "Mitchell' and B-26 'Marauder'. This crash happened so early in 1942 that this plane was still in service and had not yet been decomissioned. In fact, one source has only one plane listed as having received this desigation -- this could be the only plane to have ever had the RB-18A designation. The plane's serial number was 39-26.

The last running B-18s were sent to where they sent all the old, outdated junk -- Alaska. The plane was to be stationed at Elmendorf AFB, Anchorage, AK as a part of the USAAF's 36th Bombardment Squadron, 28th Composite Group, 11th Air Force. The plane was en route from McLellan AFB, Sacramento, CA to Pendleton AFB, Pendleton, OR as a part of it's journey to rejoin its unit in Anchorage. The reason it was in Sacramento in the first place was to be repaired after it was damaged in an earlier taxiing accident at Elmendorf.

This source states that there was bad weather in the area the day the plane went missing. Here are the names of the four men who were killed:

2/LT Richard J Heiderstadt O-417958 (pilot)
2/LT Walter V McShane O-421271 (co-pilot)
TSG Michael R Bittner 1096450 (engineer)
SSG Donald R Kirtland 624 31 53 (radio operator)

There are four newspaper articles here with varying amounts of detail (this one and the others under "related articles" on the right:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...4000%2c2739688

Here are a couple sites with crash information:
http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/src/dbasn.asp?SN=39-26&Submit4=Go
http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=105576

Page 144 of this book states there is some confusion over the origin of the crew, but it looks like the crew was just a transport crew that was taking the plane back to Elmendorf.

Finally, there is this account of a guy who went to the tower last month and found a marker with a plaque for the wreck, but there are no pictures of the wreck:
http://www.hidarg.org/Albums/VHF12.html
Old 08-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #13
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,126
Too bad about the messing up trout creek road

Too good about the rest of this thread

Looking forward to more Lava tales
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #14
Used2BeFast2
Chupacabra Rider

Oddometer: 570
Great thread and thanks for sharing. I love the obscure Oregon history bits. P.S. You picked a cool name for this thread...you made us look!

Cat herder....really!
Used2BeFast2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #15
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,629
Thumb

tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote