Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
NCD OP
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 432
Lubin' Yer Balls (DIY 800GS Wheel Bearing Service)

Chances are, you are riding around with little or no grease in your wheel bearings. Sad but true. Bearing manufacturers ensure robust future sales by skimping on the grease during assembly. (This is not BMWís fault BTW, before you hate.) But the good news is, those ďsealedĒ bearings that make you feel all warm and fuzzy can be opened up and grease can be added. Its loads of fun. (Not really.) But it is easy, so letís get started.

I am assuming that you know how/have the tools to get the wheels off of your bike. If not, then you are in trouble.

Tools needed for loobiní:

Screwdriver or panel puller to remove the big external seals
Thin, dull blade to pop bearing seal off
Snap ring pliers
Wheel bearing grease (preferably in a pencil-tipped gun)

Front Wheel:

Use the big screwdriver or panel puller to pop the big external seal out of the wheel:

Now you can see the actual bearing. Take a DULL, very THIN tool of some type and CAREFULLY slide it between the rubber seal and the metal outer race of the bearing. My tool of choice here is a dull x-acto blade. Use caution not to damage the lips of the rubber seal. A light twist pops it right off.

Donít be shocked if you see naked balls inside your wheels. Take the grease gun and aim it right between each pair, and shoot grease into the void between them. This puts it in the bearings path. FWIW, what looks like bearings here is actually the carrier, the bearings are actually behind it.)

Leave some empty space in the cavity Ė maybe aim for filling the bearing like 80%. Itís no biggie if you put too much Ė it just seems to ooze out the excess when things get really hot.

By hand, snap the bearing seal back in nice and even, making sure the seal sits into the grooves in the bearing. Put the big outer seal pack in place flush with the outside of the hub. Sometimes these need a very light bump with a rubber mallet to set back home. Spooge a little grease on the lips of the seal where it runs on the axle or spacer.

OK. Turn the wheel over, and remove the big outer seal. Uh oh, WTF is that stupid ring in the way for? Dammit. Just take the snap ring pliers, engage the holes and squeeze. Lift the snap ring out of the groove and set it aside. (The snap ring blocks you from pulling the bearing seal out.)

Grease up this bearing the same as the other - - just remember to put the snap ring back into place before you button things up with the big outer seal. Installation is the reverse or removal, right? Right.

Rear Wheel:

You have 3 bearings to do in the rear. Grab the sprocket carrier and pull it straight out from the wheel. Set it and the 4 cush rubbers aside for now.

So, you know the drill now. Service that drive side bearing just like the front.

Flip the wheel over, and meet your old friend the snap ring again.

Time to do the bearing in the sprocket carrier. Pull the seal off, just like the others.

Thereís another snap ring in the way here, too. No problemo.

Itís good form to put grease on the axles, spacers, and the sealing surfaces of the rubber seals when putting the wheels back on your bike. Just wipe off the external excess once things are all back together to avoid a mountain of dust building up on everything. That way, things come back apart later without drama.

Now start arguing about what kind of bearing grease is best, and whether itís OK to use synthetic.
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCD View Post
Chances are, you are riding around with little or no grease in your wheel bearings.

Now start arguing about what kind of bearing grease is best, and whether itís OK to use synthetic.

Awesome!!!

Thanks a bunch!!!!

Ryan
Old 08-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
NCD OP
Dirty Hairy

This is my 2nd time greasing the bearings on this bike. I did it the first time shortly after bringing it home new.

The 4 wheel bearings only had a spaghetti thin bead of crappy grease on top of the carrier. Bearings were dry.

The carrier bearing (a different brand for some reason) had plenty of grease.

10,000 miles later they all still feel new and notchless.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
TheCowboy
back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 606
Thanks so much for taking the time to post this. I did not know you could service a sealed bearing. I jsst today replaced my rear wheel bearings for the second time in 62,000 miles.

TheCowboy
TheCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Nice writeup. Maybe Wildman can link this thread to the F800 index / database.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:56 AM   #6
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
Nice writeup. Maybe Wildman can link this thread to the F800 index / database.
Done. Sorry for the delay, fellas!
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
fiwi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Well? anyone?
fiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
Cambi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Mobilgrease 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiwi View Post
Well? anyone?
http://www.exxonmobil.com/Belgium-En...grease_28.aspx
Cambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
Zoef zoef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Nice writeup. Only thing I'm worried about is the mount of grease. 80% is according to manufacturers specifications way too much. About 30% filling of the free space is deemed sufficient. Too much grease, results in the bearing running too hot, and he grease will melt. Then the grease can go out if the bearing, which result in too little grease. Therefore the correct amount grease is vital for bearing life, not too little, not too much.
Zoef zoef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoef zoef View Post
Nice writeup. Only thing I'm worried about is the mount of grease. 80% is according to manufacturers specifications way too much. About 30% filling of the free space is deemed sufficient. Too much grease, results in the bearing running too hot, and he grease will melt. Then the grease can go out if the bearing, which result in too little grease. Therefore the correct amount grease is vital for bearing life, not too little, not too much.
The wheels are not turning anywhere near the maximum RPM that these bearings will be rated for, so you can fill them up with more grease and still not get any heat issues.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
NCD OP
Dirty Hairy

Some more to chew on:

I popped both seals off of a brand new bearing to showcase the scant use of grease in a new unit. Sad. Unless you own stock in or run a bearing company, then it's good. Sadder still is that this bearing has FAR more grease in it than mine did when new. No wonder people sizzle through these in like 6-8000 miles (bore problems not included.)

I flushed out what grease is there to show the guts clearer. The bearings (mostly hidden), the carrier, and the voids that you want to smoosh grease into (the bearing's path.)

Old 11-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCD View Post
Some more to chew on:

I popped both seals off of a brand new bearing to showcase the scant use of grease in a new unit. Sad. Unless you own stock in or run a bearing company, then it's good. Sadder still is that this bearing has FAR more grease in it than mine did when new. No wonder people sizzle through these in like 6-8000 miles (bore problems not included.)
My bearings were the originals from 2009, and were still in good shape but I replaced them anyway a couple of weeks ago, just in case. And I took the dust seals off the old bearings to find plenty of grease in there, even after 78,000 kms.

Here's two out of the three rear wheel bearings.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
so much misinformation on the internet
Old 09-02-2012, 06:37 AM   #14
NCD OP
Dirty Hairy

I used to fill them 100%. When I did that, I would get some grease that would migrate outside of the bearing after a few 1000 miles. But there would still be WAY more left inside than there ever was before the lube job. My 'scientific analysis' suggested that this was about 10-20% of the grease.

Now I fill them about 80% and it all stays in. Could vary I guess depending on type of grease?

Who cares. It's all better than the watered down Chinese dog turds I find in there from the factory.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #15
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,411
Low bidder apparently gets the bearing contract. Different brand name bearing on different bikes. Mine had different color grease in the rear bearings.

I had a worry about packing them and Woody advised more is better, they don't spin that fast.